Low carb- more protein...help

Options
2»

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is great along with oils, like Flax seed oil, olive oil, etc...Good fats! Fat has 9 cal per gram as opposed to carbs and protein which has 4 cal per gram
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mandypar wrote: »
    I follow a no/low carb diet. I went into My Home and Goals and tweaked the settings to fit into this kind of diet more. I am trying to limit myself to 1000 calories per day, 15% carbs, 35% fats, 50% protein. It's not a science and I do get red sometimes, but I have to limit myself because I am in a wheelchair so exercise is not easy outside of my weekly physio. I tend to eat a protein shake or flavoured Skyr for breakfast plus a glass of skimmed milk, eggs for lunch, and meat/vegetables/salad of some sort for dinner (drinking water at other times). Hope this helps you.

This was extremely helpful! I just did that to my settings.

For your own good, please undo that and eat normal, healthy food.

This^

OP - You are following the advice of someone with ONE post. Someone who is also in a wheelchair......

If you are under the impression that all weight loss = fat loss, you are mistaken. Very low calorie diets don't support existing lean muscle mass efficiently. So fast weight loss doesn't lower your body fat % as well as moderate paced weight loss does.

This is why MFP expects you to eat more. Healthy weight loss helps you lower your body fat %, not just your weight.

15% carbs is not necessary to lose weight (unless you have medical issues). Keep in mind after you are "done" with low carb, you need to figure out how to keep the weight off. Low carb teaches me nothing, so I don't do it.

• cgstitch
    cgstitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling satisfied, then I would stick with what you are doing. I didn't read through all the comments, so I am not sure if you went into more detail about your exact macros your are trying to achieve. I do think that when a lot of people see the words low-carb/Atkins, it automatically denotes a picture of bacon galore and drooling over pictures of bread. I consider myself a low-carb eater, but I don't eat bacon!

It is the source of your carbs that are most important. If you are getting your carbs from mostly veggies then don't worry about it! If you are satisfied with the way you are eating, and you are inching toward your physique goals, have energy to get through your day, your cravings are at bay, and you are not starving hungry between meals I think you are good to go! If you any of these things start to get out of balance, then up your protein and veggies a bit. If that doesn't work, add a bit of healthy fat like olive oils, coconut oil, avocado, grass-fed butter or ghee. If that doesn't work, add a bit of brown rice, oats, or quinoa to one of your meals. It can be some trial and error to see what works for you. We are all different, and we all will react to different "healthy" foods.

When I eat like this, I feel amazing, like I do now. Unfortunately I revert back to old patterns too often and don't maintain my progress! I am not tracking everything in MFP, but I am playing around with different macro levels to see where I am comfortable. And, have options for adjustments when my hunger, energy, and cravings begin to become unbalanced.

It is good that you are doing cardio, but keep it moderate. For weight training lifting lift heavy! It will do your body good. There are a lot of great women centered fitness blogs that freely give beginner-advanced workouts. Check out Nia Shanks (Lift like a Girl), Jill Coleman (JillFit), Lori Harder, Jen Sinkler. These are the main women I have been connecting with over the last several months. Yes, they all have stuff to buy, and they also have a ton of free stuff on nutrition and weight training. I check in with at least one of their social media outlets daily for advice and inspiration. These are some truly seriously fit women, at first I was intimidated and comparing, but now I find them so inspirational and uplifting. My goal is not to be like them, my goal is to learn from them and be the best me I can be.

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • jnwisniewski22
    jnwisniewski22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!! And understanding that I'm not starving myself I am just trying to change up my diet a little and it has taken my appetite away which is a wonderful thing for me because before this I could eat and eat at dinner and then have a hurt tummy, since I've monitored my intake, dropped carbs I no longer have bloating in my tummy after I eat. It honestly feels great. I have been diagnosed with ibs so this type of diet has helped me incredibly.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    cgstitch wrote: »
    If you are feeling satisfied, then I would stick with what you are doing. I didn't read through all the comments, so I am not sure if you went into more detail about your exact macros your are trying to achieve. I do think that when a lot of people see the words low-carb/Atkins, it automatically denotes a picture of bacon galore and drooling over pictures of bread. I consider myself a low-carb eater, but I don't eat bacon!

I like bacon but I can only eat so much of it. I don't drool over it like my husband does lol. Right now I'm setting myself at 1100 calories, but instead of focusing more so on calories, I'm going to focus on what I'm eating, and how I feel.
  • jnwisniewski22
    Options
    I'm 4ft11.And I'm not saying I'm starving myself. I'm saying I'm adjusting to this new diet and I feel 100% better already. Before I started this diet I was eating the right healthy foods, as in carbs, but I have ibs and it wasn't working. The low carb method has actually helped my ibs. I was more so in the post trying to figure out how to add more calories that are not carbs. And not all protein. Sorry if you were confused I'm not trying to set myself low on calories. But it's just new to me because carbs added so much calories to my diet before now I'm just trying to find things that I can eat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cgstitch wrote: »

I like bacon but I can only eat so much of it. I don't drool over it like my husband does lol. Right now I'm setting myself at 1100 calories, but instead of focusing more so on calories, I'm going to focus on what I'm eating, and how I feel.

I would set your caloric goal to whatever intake is appropriate for your weight loss goals. Figure out what it should be for 0.5 or 1.5 or however many pounds per week you want to lose and set it. If you don't hit it, then fine. Just skip closing your diary. I skipped doing that 95% of the time when I was logging anyways. It never helped me with anything. ;)

I wouldn't set your calories low though. There really is no help in that. Set it normal. Stay under on carbs, meet your protein goal, and then hit your fat goal on hungrier days.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    why not add more veggies?

the carb count in veggies are not all out crazy, and you may find that you'll appreciate more variety than just meat and eggs for a long-haul meal plan.

I never have a problem getting more than enough calories - but, I don't like to count them daily. It's more to keep making positive choices. Keep your sugar intake low, and the starches, low. Other than that - enjoy a varied diet.

Pay attention to what your body likes, or what causes you difficulties with either digestion, or bloating. - other than that - the daily ritual of eating should be enjoyable (in a healthy way).

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    the occasional fruit isn't going to hurt too much either. An apple is 14 carbs. I have my go-to fruits whenever I crave sweets. - my breakfast, 2 hardboiled eggs and an apple. Coffee with heavy cream. today's lunch - take-out at a mediteranian place. a greek salad, with a small side of Moussakka and humus. (yum). Dinner tonight - pasture raised chicken qtr (leg/thigh), cooked with some sort of veggie (need to shop for veggies tonight). And, a clementine orange for an evening snack.

the calories will add up - but, it's all nutritious and flavorful.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw in there... you don't have to close out /complete your food diary every day. Nothing magical happens when you press the "complete this entry" button. Just track your food and stay within whatever goal you wish. When you start feeling a lot of fatigue and brain fog and your hair and nails get brittle, you can bring your calories back up to where it should be long-term and MFP will let you complete your diary.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    the occasional fruit isn't going to hurt too much either. An apple is 14 carbs. I have my go-to fruits whenever I crave sweets. - my breakfast, 2 hardboiled eggs and an apple. Coffee with heavy cream. today's lunch - take-out at a mediteranian place. a greek salad, with a small side of Moussakka and humus. (yum). Dinner tonight - pasture raised chicken qtr (leg/thigh), cooked with some sort of veggie (need to shop for veggies tonight). And, a clementine orange for an evening snack.

the calories will add up - but, it's all nutritious and flavorful.

it depends on the size and weight of the apple. not all apples are 14g carbs. some are more some will be less, you also dont have to keep sugar or starches low unless you have a health issues(or are on a keto diet) and you have to limit those things. sugar and starch wont cause you to NOT lose weight