October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    BTW, I forgot to stop my Garmin until about 15 minutes after I finished the race. Is there a way in Garmin Connect and/or Strava to edit the end time for a run? I know that I can manually enter it, but I would like to maintain the rest of the data if possible.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 you should be able to edit the run in Strava. If you click the wrench, I think you can use the crop option to cut off the part after you finished.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 rookie mistake
    You can in garmin connect as well. There is a little pencil looking thing in the top right corner.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    So many excellent race reports and results and PRs this weekend!! Awesome awesome awesome, you guys!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone that ran well today - some even set PR's I see - nice work everyone... :)

@katharmonic nice work this morning - it was a cold but lovely morning to run in Syracuse ...

I finished my first 10k this morning - the MS Monster Scramble 10K - 1:01:24 - as my first 10k, my main goal was to keep a consistent 10:00min pace.

The 5k and 10k started at the same time so I expected some of the field would go out fast. I was passed by half the field but I actually resisted the flow and held my 10:00min pace right from the start. I quickly found that the course was anything but flat and at the bottom of the first hill I could see the next large hill right in front of me. There were two others on the route, and the 10k was two laps of the same route, so in the end I had 6 large hills to climb. First four miles all stayed just under or just over 10:00m - but the 5th mile included 2 of the three big hills - that mile hurt :) . Once I got to the top of the last hill the second time, the final 3/4 of a mile was mostly downhill - boy did that feel good - actually almost sprinted across the finish line - very happy with the whole run - held my pace and 1:01:24 was excellent with all the hills...

Actually was very glad I had my Forerunner 235 on, because I checked the actual results and found I wasn't listed anywhere - must be it didn't read my tag somewhere - I emailed the timing company to correct it - but not sure I care as I have the medal and the data from the run...

3 more weeks to get ready for hopefully a flatter 10k - the Burn Run...

Looking back on this season as a whole, I started in January on a Couch-to-5k plan very overweight and with no running experience - very happy with the progress I have made and now very addicted to running...

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice run with your dad and congrats on your race the other day.
    @Ohhim Awesome job at Chicago. Congrats what should get you to Boston.
    @5512bf Great job. Glad your hip held up.
    @katharmonic Awesome job on your half PR
    Nice race @lporter229
    Great race @ereck44
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    35.88% of goal

01-Oct: 10.17 miles
    02-Oct: <Life Day>
    03-Oct: 5.96 miles
    04-Oct: 10.86 miles - Triple Day (with Alan, Team RWB)
    05-Oct: 3.40 miles
    06-Oct: 8.49 miles
    07-Oct: 5.53 miles
    08-Oct: 11.20 miles
    09-Oct: <Life Day>
    10-Oct:
    11-Oct:
    12-Oct:
    13-Oct:
    14-Oct:
    15-Oct:
    16-Oct: <Life Day>
    17-Oct:
    18-Oct:
    19-Oct:
    20-Oct:
    21-Oct:
    22-Oct:
    23-Oct: <Life Day>
    24-Oct:
    25-Oct:
    26-Oct:
    27-Oct:
    28-Oct:
    29-Oct:
    30-Oct: <Life Day>
    31-Oct:

So far, so good on running 10-ish miles on Saturdays. Looks like next Saturday is the monthly HM day. Although - Saturday wore on me a bit more than the week before - not sure if it was the beltline part (which is all concrete, as opposed to the asphalt/blacktop I'm usually running on my long runs), or the trail part (thru Freedom Park, which was rather hill-ish) or what. My right knee got really stiff, and it was rather sore to bend it, and there was some nagging ache-ish-ness at the back of the knee the rest of the day - today it was fine. Also - I was a bit more chafed in the groin area afterwards than I'm used to - not sure why.

Not a great run yesterday in Atlanta - at least on my side of the equation. We went to see Kansas (the band) Friday evening, and I got up and headed out while SWMBO slept (that's how we deal with the question @lporter229 raised - I run while she sleeps, both on weekends and thru the week). I think she was a tad bit aggravated that it took me longer than I'd planned (aggravated me a little too), 'cause it took me longer (on public transportation) to get to and from the place, and then I didn't maintain the kind of pace I'm expecting of myself, and got a little lost-ish and wound up with 11.2 miles, instead of 10-ish miles. But then we went to see a movie ("Sully" - it's good!) and then dinner and The Opera (Mozart's "Abduction from the Seraglio" - if you've seen the movie adaptation of Amadeus, then it's the one that Christine Lahti sang, and the Emperor said the "too many notes" line).

If you're in Atlanta, check out the Beltline Trail - it's pretty cool (http://www.traillink.com/trail/eastside-trail-(atlanta-beltline).aspx). Might have to arrange to run some of the other Beltlines too.

Upcoming Races:
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    29-Oct: Jay's Hope 10K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon (?)
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    03-Dec: Reindeer Run (10K), Macon
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins (?)
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I was texting with a group of cycling friends first thing this morning when the wind was gusting maybe 40 mph. And one of them said "oh my gosh a runner just went by" and everyone was replying "what a nut!" This was while I was thinking "it seems safe to run this morning".
    What did we say the other day? "Yes, we're all mental here." But at least we have the good grace to admit it, unlike other folks who try to pass their crazy off as normal behavior.
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    10 miles in new shoes today (Brooks Launch 3).
    @5512bf @katharmonic @Ohhim @lporter229 @ereck44 Congrats on your races!

exercise.png
    10/1 6.2 (6.2 MTD)
    10/5 6.2 (12.4 MTD)
    10/9 10.0 (22.4 MTD)
    Upcoming races:
    9/10 - Louisville Pure Tap 5k 25:03
    10/1 - Norton Sports Health Great Pumpkin 10k 51:12
    10/22 - Urban Bourbon Half Marathon
    11/24 - Hungry Turkey 5k

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 @lporter229 @ohhim @katharmonic and @5512bf Congratulations on the races! So jealous!

@9voice9 Way to go, navigating Atlanta? Did I read/remember that right? We lived in Marietta for a few years, 91-93. Loved it. Was my favorite place that I've lived. But we came from Delaware, so anything was an improvement (sorry northerners- y'all eat some wierd stuff and are *ahem* not full of southern hospitality). Texas before Delaware- so I missed the south. I knew you were southerner. Strava stalker :blush: Guess you're quiet sneaking out? SWMBO never wakes asking where your sneaking off to? Haha! HWMNBO? Can I do that? Always asks then wants to see my run, but not really. So I just babble on and on about the minutia of my morning. :tongue:

Way to be runners. I'm bushed. *High five*

I walked/gimped a few hours at the fair today... Didn't track the distance so I'll make something up later. :smiley:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal...run to earn wine and ice cream

10/1: core/strength training, 2 mile run and 20 minutes of fancy footwork trying to herd the neighbor's stray cow out of our yard
    10/2 rest
    10/3 slug...never got out of my nightgown and played computer games (it was FABULOUS!)
    10/4 4.10
    10/5 3.11
    10/6 core/strength training
    10/7 rest
    10/8 3.25
    10/9 6.48

Total 18.94

@ohhim @katharmonic @lporter229 and @5512bf you all inspire!

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16 (seriously thinking of dropping it to the 10k as my last couple of HM's have been not so stellar, and not so fun!)

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone on their great races and finishes over the weekend!

Date.........Miles........Total
    10/01......12.16.......12.16
    10/02........0.00.......12.16 - Dog beach Sunday
    10/03........5.23.......17.39 + Agility
    10/04........4.26.......21.65 + Strength Training
    10/05........0.00.......21.65
    10/06........3.87.......25.52 + Rally Obedience
    10/07........5.30.......30.82 - Treadmill
    10/08........0.00.......30.82
    10/09........6.34.......37.16

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle

11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Had a friend from our local running club at the Kelowna Marathon ( Supposedly a BQ event )
    https://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.xhtml?raceid=40891&status=results&category=Women&lastname=giffin

Looks like she has about a 3 minute cushion based on the Info I was able to look up about BQ times.
    Our little club ( 180 members 10-20 consistently active ) was cheering loudly when we saw the result.
    The funny part for some of us is that 2 of the local ladies that were cheering with us are actually measurably faster than the lady who made the trip for the run. So now they are planning to ramp up their training and looking for a BQ event close to us. Western Canada/North West USA.

She is originally from Eastern Canada but came out west for a job and stumbled onto our little club when out for a run ( we had our reg Wednesday Night run ) and joined into us. The rest as they say is History.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Amazing race! So insightful reading how you run a marathon.

@mmteixeira Love your story! Well done!

@MobyCarp Sorry if you've said already, but are you getting physiotherapy for your injury?

1 October – 10.6 km including parkrun
    3 October – 12.4 km
    4 October – 10 km
    5 October – 10.2 km
    6 October – 10 km
    8 October – 10.5 km including parkrun
    9 October – 13.6 km first try at trail running
    10 October – 10.9 km

Goal: 100 miles (160 km)
    Total: 88.2 km

Was still on a high this morning from my first trail run, so headed out for a short run which turned into just short of 11 km.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Stinky Feet: Stinky feet. Ahahahaha
    @ereck44 Congratulasions
    @5512bf Saw your run on Strava. Nice pacing there you even finished fast in the last 10k. That's how you do a marathon
    @katharmonic Good job. You look great after the race. I was a mess
    @Ohhim Good pacing you did there. Exactly on point and you never slowed down. Congrats
    @_nikkiwolf_ I had a runny nose the whole race.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Did my long run for the week this morning - aimed for 12k at 7min pace and was pretty much spot on overall but pace was a bit all over the place today. Now I'm trying to do runs at particular paces I really need to sort out my music playlists as my speed definitely changes with each song, and at the moment I just have one generic "running" playlist.

Anyway, today's run means I'm still on target for the month:

exercise.png
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 what a great race log. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on those PRs!

@cutelildeadbear welcome to the group! This is only my second month here. I have found everyone to be sooo helpful and nice!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Will catch up with posts later. Got to un-do all the hurricane prep I did last week in my classroom!

10/1 - 5.1 miles
    10.2 - 7.3 miles
    10/3 - travel/rest day
    10/4 - rest
    10/5 - 5.1
    10/6 - 5.2
    10/7 - hurricane day
    10/8 - 7.5 miles - trail running on sidewalks
    10/9 - 37 miles biking
    10/10 - 5.1 miles - perfect 65 degrees!

exercise.png

Upcoming races