exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I have not trail ran since my last episode in May I think it was? I karate chopped and cursed my way through literally nonstop spiderwebs every 2 feet for a mile and then found another place to run :( I've been scared to go back although I know I've been there so many times and only ONCE was the place full of spider webs. I'm just traumatized.

@greenolivetree LOL! That was me...for about 4 miles, plus a stupid horsefly that wouldn't leave me alone. I finally inhaled him (accidental...I swear!) Luckily I was able to spit him out, but he didn't bother me. I encountered some mountain bikers a short while later coming from the opposite direction, so they had cleared the webs from the other direction.

The "early bird gets the worm" does not apply to trail running. The "early bird gets to use their face to clear the spider webs for the rest of the trail runners" is more like it. I've been the 1st one on the trails a few times, and I feel like I deserve a medal and all the other runners should be profusely thanking me for enduring spider webs to the face. LOL!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @beeerrunner when I trail run with Skip I send her out first :smile: she's a web sweeper. Horseflies are the worse, buuzzzz buuzzz like little dive bombers at your head. ugh!
    @mobycarp I hadn't been keeping up with the thread, I'm sorry you are still hurt :disappointed:
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Totally agree with the horsefly! I had a trail run this summer where a horsefly kept smashing itself on my head for a mile and a half. I was going nuts! My blood pressure and adrenaline had to be at all time high.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Aw Shucks. I just look, and Garmin doesn't list my forerunner as compatible with the HRM-RUN....this is annoying, guess I'll be sticking with my old, uncomfortable one.

@MNLittleFinn I preferred the Premium soft strap because you could take off the thing-a-ma-jig (? lol) and throw it in the washing machine. On the new HRM-Run, the thing-a-ma-jig doesn't come off, so you have to wash it by hand. They both feel equally comfortable to me, though. I haven't met a guy who finds the chest strap comfortable, so maybe the new one wouldn't make much difference for you.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Aw Shucks. I just look, and Garmin doesn't list my forerunner as compatible with the HRM-RUN....this is annoying, guess I'll be sticking with my old, uncomfortable one.

@MNLittleFinn I preferred the Premium soft strap because you could take off the thing-a-ma-jig (? lol) and throw it in the washing machine. On the new HRM-Run, the thing-a-ma-jig doesn't come off, so you have to wash it by hand. They both feel equally comfortable to me, though. I haven't met a guy who finds the chest strap comfortable, so maybe the new one wouldn't make much difference for you.

Probably comes from a lot of us ladyfolk being so used to wearing bras all the time, lol. After all these years, what's one more thing strapped around my chest?

And agreed on the washing machine option, I really like that I can detach the transmitter for that reason.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Mama wants a home at the beach. Spiderwebs and horseflies. Clowns and jugglers. So entertaining!

I'm somewhat on the DL currently. I did only 2/3 of my C25K yesterday, and stopped my tennis match after one set today because of hip/glute, but I'm mostly just being cautious.

In the meantime I'm just lurking and enjoying myself.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    And agreed on the washing machine option, I really like that I can detach the transmitter for that reason.

Bwahaha, transmitter! I couldn't think of what it might be called for the life of me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Anyone have the new Garmin HR Run? My Garmin soft strap HRM is annoying the heck out of me, and I'm thinking about switching to a different HRM.

I think that's what I have; it came with my Garmin 630. The HRM that came with my 620 chafed just a little, and I was constantly adjusting how I lubricated to get rid of that; I thought I found the answer because I had no more chafing . . .

Then my HRM broke. It stopped sending HR, replacing the battery didn't fix it, and the end of the patch separated from the strap. Garmin sent a replacement because it was under warranty, and I wore the old HRM from the 620 while I waited for the replacement to arrive. Guess what? The chafing came back.

Then the chafing went away with the replacement HRM.

So yeah, assuming the HR Run is what came with the 630, it's a really good chest strap.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk. Terrible headache. Idk why I keep forgetting to check lables.

14.61/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • MobyCarp
    Options

It might be worth a call to Garmin; does the result mean your model won't connect to the HRM-Run at all, or only that your model won't pick up the fancy stuff like vertical oscillation? FWIW, I have a Vivofit that picks up heart rate from the HRM-Run just fine. Of course, all the Vivofit can do with the HR is display it, and it can't do anything with the other metrics; but it *does* get the HR.
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    5.17 this morning.
    15 min Yoga routine at lunchtime. I need to get better about the yoga for stretching, because my hamstrings were starting to feel really tight yesterday and this morning. Feeling much better now.

exercise.png
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Last night I said what do you really want to do when you grow up, she said what do you want me to do I want to make you proud. I just started to cry and told her I'm proud of her everyday and no matter what she does I'll be proud. She said great because I want to be a stripper, I said great just be the best stripper you can be Mama wants a home at the beach. She is so funny.

Hahahah!! This sounds exactly like conversations with my teen daughter! Those sarcastically hilarious little buggers :wink:

@MobyCarp Hang in there!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @MobyCarp This is the Run strap I have. The transmitter is detachable, came with my 620. I don't put it in the wash, just shower with it once in a while. No problems. It's comfortable.

Screenshot_20161006-145650_zps0hekbjek.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Today was 6 miles at lunch, including 6x 100m strides. My first time doing strides! I ran 4.5 miles, then did the 6x strides alternating w/100m recovery jogs, then ended up with 0.3 miles to cooldown run, in order to hit 6 miles total.

Question for all you running experts - Being new to this type of training, incorporating speed work into slightly longer runs, does this seem like a reasonable point where I put the strides? I know they're supposed to be towards the end of the aerobic run. Should I put them a little earlier to allow for a slightly longer cooldown portion? All tips and advice appreciated!

9vxdknk75b5f.jpg

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11 – 1:43:24
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25 – 2:09:58
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Fall Harvest 5k – 11/13
    Christmas-y run???
    Run for the Wild 5k (Bronx Zoo) – 4/29/17
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @Elise4270 That's the same strap as my premium, but my transmitter doesn't have the little guy on it. My new one (which also appears to be called HRM-Run) https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/hrm-run-/prod530376.htmlhas a red silicon transmitter that doesn't detach. Garmin is having some fun with us by naming them all the same.

That's great @MobyCarp that you don't mind wearing the chest strap!
  • MobyCarp
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 @RunRachelRunnn @MNLittleFinn

The picture Elise shows is the HRM that came with my 620. It works well enough, has some minor chafing that was annoying after running the Buffalo Marathon in 2015. The link RunRachelRunnn shared shows the HRM that came with my 630. No chafing, even running Boston, and it seems to send more consistent data than the other one. Or maybe I've just learned to rinse and clean it better since reading the instructions that came with the 630. The low-end Vivofit 2 will get HR from either or them. The 630 will get heart rate and other metrics from either of them. I haven't tested the 620 with the newer HRM.