Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it the same for everyone ?

124»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    karl317 wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    So we can all agree that CI<CO leads to weight loss for everyone, which is awesome. BUT when it comes to certain facts ( or myths ? idk ) like sugar being addictive , vegetables are fulfilling etc.. are they the same for everyone ? I am asking this because when I was eating chicken , vegetables etc and no sugar , I used to feel extremely hungry and sad and end up eating more and more. Now I basically eat chocolate and sweet stuff during the day and some proteins at night and I feel happy and full while still staying under my calorie goal.

What's the criteria for calling CICO a success? What's the criteria for failure?

You can find study after study that proves a calorie deficit results in weight loss - so clearly there is some truth to the "first law of thermodynamics", which seemingly everyone has suddenly become an expert.

You can also take a look around at all the people you run into each and every day and see pretty clearly that the problem isn't as simple as "Calories In/Calories Out", since it is FAILING for the majority of people. Every year that goes by, the simple "Calories In/Calories Out" equation fails more and more, yet people still want to boil this problem down into the simplest of terms and place the blame squarely on a person's own will power or lack of enthusiasm for exercise.

I mean, sure, you can do that - just blame the person, because hey - that's EASY!

But you aren't going to solve the obesity epidemic this way :)

CICO does not fail anyone, it is merely a reflection of what is going on with the individual...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Vegetables are fulfilling? :o Oh, I better not.

Fullfillmemt means different things to different people. Just like CICO, evidently, after reading this thread.

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    It sounds to me like you get lots of carbs and feel hungry. I am doing LCHF and am never hungry, have no cravings and have lost 103 pounds since January. I am not saying carbs are bad but maybe the way you eat is not working for you. check out dietdoctor.com
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

You aren't going to solve the obesity epidemic by perpetuating people's false beliefs that they must be a special snowflake which is what's preventing them from losing weight.

Bottom line? If they aren't losing, they're eating in excess of what their body can burn off.

I don't think anyone disputes that - but if the problem were that simple then we'd all be a healthy weight. But we aren't, and the problem is just not as simple as people make it out to be.

I'm not saying people should start chiming in with the "me too's" and make excuses for why they're fat. I'm simply saying that the problem has been oversimplified to the point where society has apparently chosen to simply persecute individuals for their failure to maintain a healthy weight, when clearly there is more than just an individual force at play.

If you want to believe that "CICO is the way", go ahead - but you're going to see that basic concept fail people repeatedly for various reasons - reasons that will undoubtedly be oversimplified to it being a "personal failing", which I think is an incorrect approach.

Be honest with yourself. How often is there something really simple to do in the house like bringing out the trash but you procrastinate it anyway? Or if you personally never do something like that think of other people.
    And now imagine what happens when it is not something that takes 5 minutes but a year or more of consistency to succeed.

Indeed. It's simple and certainly not easy...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

You aren't going to solve the obesity epidemic by perpetuating people's false beliefs that they must be a special snowflake which is what's preventing them from losing weight.

Bottom line? If they aren't losing, they're eating in excess of what their body can burn off.

I don't think anyone disputes that - but if the problem were that simple then we'd all be a healthy weight. But we aren't, and the problem is just not as simple as people make it out to be.

I'm not saying people should start chiming in with the "me too's" and make excuses for why they're fat. I'm simply saying that the problem has been oversimplified to the point where society has apparently chosen to simply persecute individuals for their failure to maintain a healthy weight, when clearly there is more than just an individual force at play.

If you want to believe that "CICO is the way", go ahead - but you're going to see that basic concept fail people repeatedly for various reasons - reasons that will undoubtedly be oversimplified to it being a "personal failing", which I think is an incorrect approach.

Be honest with yourself. How often is there something really simple to do in the house like bringing out the trash but you procrastinate it anyway? Or if you personally never do something like that think of other people.
    And now imagine what happens when it is not something that takes 5 minutes but a year or more of consistency to succeed.

Exactly this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    It's definitely not the same for everyone. There are going to be some general concepts that will be mostly true for most people ("foods with a high fiber/water content will fill you up faster" "protein and fiber help you feel full for longer" "eating a large amount of starch/sugar on its own will leave you feeling hungrier sooner"), but there's more to it than that. Physiologically, yes, people are quite similar. But, as a few people have said or alluded to, there's a huge psychological component to satiety, plus people's hormonal responses to food can vary widely.

Once you eat the food, did your body produce the proper type and amount of hormones in response? Did your brain and other organs accept, interpret, and respond to the hormones in the proper way? Did you eat a sufficient amount/type of foods and nutrients but still feel unsatisfied because your meal lacked a food you enjoy the taste of? Is there an issue in your life that drives you to continue to eat even after you physically feel full?

Side note re: CICO - I am a legit, honest-to-god, special snowflake who for YEARS did everything correctly on the logging side, followed my Fitbit, and religiously ate at a calorie goal that, per MFP, should have allowed me to lose 1-2lbs per week, and yet lost basically nothing. Medical testing eventually revealed that my body simply burns ~25-30% fewer calories per day than what would be expected for someone with my stats and activity level - my metabolism is more comparable to someone 11 inches shorter and 65 years older than I am - such that what I thought was a 500-1000/day deficit was really closer to maintenance (which, honestly, I knew already based on the math, but I resisted believing it until a knowledgeable doctor put numbers in front of me). CICO is still true for me, just as it is for everyone else on this planet. It just took me a little more work to nail down the "CO" side - now that I have, I'm finally having slow but steady success by simply eating fewer calories than what I now know I'm actually burning each day.

Nice post as it shows that CICO can be more complex for some because the CO side can vary more for some, which is why many of us always advocate doing a systematic reduction of calories to see how your body is reacting. I think you are statistically a true 1 in a million with that much lower of a metabolism than the mean.

Yup. At the time I did the test, various RMR calculators put mine somewhere between 1,700 and 2,200 per day. Turned out it was actually 1,350. I figured out what age/height would produce that same RMR in the calc that Fitbit uses, changed my Fitbit profile to match that, and started eating 500 calories less than my new TDEE. In the 28 weeks since I made that change, I've lost 29.5lbs, after losing 18 pounds total in the 3 years and 10 months prior to that.

I'm basically the poster child for CICO. No matter how much you're struggling despite doing everything "right," you don't need to eliminate one or more foods/food groups or follow a special diet or drink green smoothies or heal your leaky gut or whatever the heck is popular just to lose weight - trust me, I tried a lot of it. You just need to figure out a truly accurate CICO equation and stick to it. To bring it back to the OP, though, how you achieve that is necessarily different for everyone. People are going to have a different mental/emotional and to some degree physical response to different foods and overall ways of eating. Whatever method one person decides to believe in and apply to their life is fine if it works for them (as long as it's not endangering their health), but it may not work for someone else, and that's ok too.

I'm going to start tagging you into every "CICO doesn't work because I'm a special snowflake" thread I encounter on these boards, mmmkay?

TIA!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's definitely not the same for everyone. There are going to be some general concepts that will be mostly true for most people ("foods with a high fiber/water content will fill you up faster" "protein and fiber help you feel full for longer" "eating a large amount of starch/sugar on its own will leave you feeling hungrier sooner"), but there's more to it than that. Physiologically, yes, people are quite similar. But, as a few people have said or alluded to, there's a huge psychological component to satiety, plus people's hormonal responses to food can vary widely.

Once you eat the food, did your body produce the proper type and amount of hormones in response? Did your brain and other organs accept, interpret, and respond to the hormones in the proper way? Did you eat a sufficient amount/type of foods and nutrients but still feel unsatisfied because your meal lacked a food you enjoy the taste of? Is there an issue in your life that drives you to continue to eat even after you physically feel full?

Side note re: CICO - I am a legit, honest-to-god, special snowflake who for YEARS did everything correctly on the logging side, followed my Fitbit, and religiously ate at a calorie goal that, per MFP, should have allowed me to lose 1-2lbs per week, and yet lost basically nothing. Medical testing eventually revealed that my body simply burns ~25-30% fewer calories per day than what would be expected for someone with my stats and activity level - my metabolism is more comparable to someone 11 inches shorter and 65 years older than I am - such that what I thought was a 500-1000/day deficit was really closer to maintenance (which, honestly, I knew already based on the math, but I resisted believing it until a knowledgeable doctor put numbers in front of me). CICO is still true for me, just as it is for everyone else on this planet. It just took me a little more work to nail down the "CO" side - now that I have, I'm finally having slow but steady success by simply eating fewer calories than what I now know I'm actually burning each day.

Nice post as it shows that CICO can be more complex for some because the CO side can vary more for some, which is why many of us always advocate doing a systematic reduction of calories to see how your body is reacting. I think you are statistically a true 1 in a million with that much lower of a metabolism than the mean.

Yup. At the time I did the test, various RMR calculators put mine somewhere between 1,700 and 2,200 per day. Turned out it was actually 1,350. I figured out what age/height would produce that same RMR in the calc that Fitbit uses, changed my Fitbit profile to match that, and started eating 500 calories less than my new TDEE. In the 28 weeks since I made that change, I've lost 29.5lbs, after losing 18 pounds total in the 3 years and 10 months prior to that.

I'm basically the poster child for CICO. No matter how much you're struggling despite doing everything "right," you don't need to eliminate one or more foods/food groups or follow a special diet or drink green smoothies or heal your leaky gut or whatever the heck is popular just to lose weight - trust me, I tried a lot of it. You just need to figure out a truly accurate CICO equation and stick to it. To bring it back to the OP, though, how you achieve that is necessarily different for everyone. People are going to have a different mental/emotional and to some degree physical response to different foods and overall ways of eating. Whatever method one person decides to believe in and apply to their life is fine if it works for them (as long as it's not endangering their health), but it may not work for someone else, and that's ok too.

I'm going to start tagging you into every "CICO doesn't work because I'm a special snowflake" thread I encounter on these boards, mmmkay?

TIA!

Ha! Feel free! I think we'll be pretty busy... :wink: