Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Pills and all that that implies

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Diet pills=lazy.

Not 100% convinced as I was lazy when I was obese
    But what I am not is stupid. If so many of these pills work why are there so many large people still out there. Also there are so many of these rubbish products that you have to buy from a friend of a friend

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If diet pills worked, no one would be overweight. Prescription pills may be able to curb your appetite, but it comes back when you stop taking them.

Hi
    Not to mention that even if they worked You did not learn a thing about proper eating and nutrition so You will regain that weight.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Diet pills=lazy.
    No diet pills do not equal lazy. I will have you know i am a very active person but i like a little lift that EC stacks give me..
    You have to be informed what ever you put in your body. People need not follow blindly but do research before taking anything..and i mean informed research..make sure that what you take isn't going to conflict with other things..
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Diet pills=lazy.

I reposted this from earlier in the thread

I see so much judgment directed at the way people choose to lose weight. People who elect to lose weight without the use of diet pills (or surgery for that matter) are characterized as losing weight the "hard" way, while those who elect to use those methods are taking the "easy" way. The subtext is that losing weight the "easy" way implies a person is lazy or maybe a cheat. I don't see it that way. Provided a person is losing weight responsibly (either under a doctor's care or following generally accepted guidelines) I don't see that one way is inherently superior to the other in terms of character strength.

As far as not being able to maintain once the weight is lost due to not learning how to eat normally, well, how many people (including me) using any method of weight loss bounce back up to our previous weight because we go back to our old eating habits. These boards are full of people (again including me) who are back for the nth time because they didn't learn to eat to maintain at a lower weight. I don't think that problem is specific to the use of diet pills.

I want to add

1. Diet pills suppress appetite, they don't miraculously melt away fat. CICO still applies. Considering all the threads titled "I CAN'T EAT ALL MY CALORIES!!" this can also happen in the course of non-pill supported diets.
    2. Nobody gets a fit body without putting in the work.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Preaching to the choir here mate. I'm all for SARMS, Clen, Dbol, DMAA, Ephedera, etc. I'd posit the argument that those who don't enhance are looking for excuses to make for why they suck at any given thing.

Do you regard Dbol as a diet pill? If so, you're doing it wrong.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm not very proud of it... but I did at one point take some pills. And they worked very well for me. All they did was decrease your appetite. So, I didn't want to eat everything in sight (which usually happens). It just helped aid my weight loss I think. But I came off them and put it all back on so they're obviously not that good! Expensive too.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    I'm not very proud of it... but I did at one point take some pills. And they worked very well for me. All they did was decrease your appetite. So, I didn't want to eat everything in sight (which usually happens). It just helped aid my weight loss I think. But I came off them and put it all back on so they're obviously not that good! Expensive too.

Taking diet pills isn't anything to be ashamed of..the pills are not the problem. If you put the weight back on it's not the pills fault. You need to look at what makes you over eat.

• mph323
    Options
    vanessa40 wrote: »
    HaleCry wrote: »

Taking diet pills isn't anything to be ashamed of..the pills are not the problem. If you put the weight back on it's not the pills fault. You need to look at what makes you over eat.

YES! Shaming people for the way they choose to lose weight isn't any more acceptable than fat or skinny shaming. In fact it's kind of despicable.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There is no "pill" or "quick fix" for weight loss. Some are harmless (you just waste your money), some can be downright harmful. As for losing and keeping the weight off, this involves a sustainable life style change in your eating and exercising habits. Placebos work for some people, but that is not what take the weight off. It is CICO. For losing weight, eat less calories than you burn. For sustaining weight loss, eat the same number of calories you burn. It isn't rocket science. If there was a "quick fix" and it were easy, there would be no overweight people. It is simple, scientific fact, but never easy to lose and keep weight off for most of us.
  • mph323
    Options
    There is no "pill" or "quick fix" for weight loss. Some are harmless (you just waste your money), some can be downright harmful. As for losing and keeping the weight off, this involves a sustainable life style change in your eating and exercising habits. Placebos work for some people, but that is not what take the weight off. It is CICO. For losing weight, eat less calories than you burn. For sustaining weight loss, eat the same number of calories you burn. It isn't rocket science. If there was a "quick fix" and it were easy, there would be no overweight people. It is simple, scientific fact, but never easy to lose and keep weight off for most of us.

Well yes CICO is the bottom line and learning to eat at a CICO balance is the way to keep the weight off. That isn't the argument here. If a diet pill placebo helps a person feel more in control of their diet, and in the course of losing weight they learn to eat sustainably then it's a useful tool.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Preaching to the choir here mate. I'm all for SARMS, Clen, Dbol, DMAA, Ephedera, etc. I'd posit the argument that those who don't enhance are looking for excuses to make for why they suck at any given thing.

Do you regard Dbol as a diet pill? If so, you're doing it wrong.

No, it was more just a broad reaching statement on "supplements" in general. Hell, really the only thing amongst SARMs that I would even remotely consider a "diet pill" is Ostarine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not sure what's up with all of the "back in the day" and "used to" with ECA stacks. I still run one. In case everyone wasn't aware, the ban was lifted shortly after ot was applied. You can get BronkAid and Primatine at just about any pharmacy in the US (it's kept behind the counter now). You just can't buy more than a few grams at a time, but let's be real, if you hit the 9g monthly limit, you're either trying to kill yourself, or you're making meth.

actually primatine is not sold behind the counters they stopped making it and it was phased out in 2011,they are waiting for FDA approval to be able to start selling it again(reformulation with HFA in it as a propellant). as for bronkaid Im sure its still being sold. but any pharmacy that sells primatine the product will be outdated or possibly bought from another country?
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Here are some numbers on weight market. Americans have spent 60 billion dollars on weight loss products every year. So 75 million Americans are spending $800 per person every year. Hello the diet pill industry is a SCAM. Save your money diet and exercise work. You didn't gain the weight overnight. So it takes time to lose it. Diet pills and meal replacement is 3 billion dollar market. Weight loss Programs 3 billion dollars to. Typical dieter makes 4 attempts per year to try and lose weight. So 3 of the 4 diets fail. Fast Food industry makes 300 billion dollars Junk food industry makes 100 billion. Hard to swallow but true. Good luck to you
  • drewski1511
    drewski1511 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I realize there's a lot of controversy surrounding pills. I use ephedrine to curb my appetite when I have a tough day and find myself binging on sugar. I also take one during PMS when my sugar cravings run rampant. I'm a healthy adult trying to lose my last 5 pounds, so I'm not as concerned with side effects. I know it comes across as lazy, but some days, I can lose an entire week's worth of dieting effort because i have seemingly uncontrollable appetite.
  • mph323
    Options
    I realize there's a lot of controversy surrounding pills. I use ephedrine to curb my appetite when I have a tough day and find myself binging on sugar. I also take one during PMS when my sugar cravings run rampant. I'm a healthy adult trying to lose my last 5 pounds, so I'm not as concerned with side effects. I know it comes across as lazy, but some days, I can lose an entire week's worth of dieting effort because i have seemingly uncontrollable appetite.

But it's not lazy! It's a tool to manage your appetite, no different than me taking a hit of caffeine instead of eating all the cake, or a person restricting certain foods that trigger hunger. Nothing magical happens to cause the weight to drop off, you still have to eat less than you burn, and honestly the way you describe how you use the ephedrine I don't see why it wouldn't be sustainable in the long run.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I just googled ephedrine, and along with yohimbine and just about everything else!! It has been banned in Australia, what is in this stuff that whole country prohibits it's import/use??
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I just googled ephedrine, and along with yohimbine and just about everything else!! It has been banned in Australia, what is in this stuff that whole country prohibits it's import/use??

1) It's been implicated in illnesses and deaths - mostly by idiots who believe that if 500 mg of it is good, 50 grams must be even better.

2) It's a precursor to methamphetamine, which is why any product containing ephedrine in the US is now sold from behind the counter, the sales are tracked and you're limited to buying a certain amount per month. Most of the manufacturers also now include guaifenesin in their formulations (an expectorant which somehow screws up the ephedrine for meth production).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

1) It's been implicated in illnesses and deaths - mostly by idiots who believe that if 500 mg of it is good, 50 grams must be even better.

2) It's a precursor to methamphetamine, which is why any product containing ephedrine in the US is now sold from behind the counter, the sales are tracked and you're limited to buying a certain amount per month. Most of the manufacturers also now include guaifenesin in their formulations (an expectorant which somehow screws up the ephedrine for meth production).

Yikes, a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. They keep common cold medicine behind the counter here, and i've been to a couple of pharmacies who make people fill out forms with all of their details if they want to buy a packet of headache/cold pills...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yikes, a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. They keep common cold medicine behind the counter here, and i've been to a couple of pharmacies who make people fill out forms with all of their details if they want to buy a packet of headache/cold pills...

yeah what anvilhead said in #2
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As much as we want to talk about the "good old days" and an EC and aspirin stack, the truth is it will help you lose weight about as much as an ice bath or a 15-minute walk. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but do people still confuse metabolism with energy? Like many of you, I used to buy pure ephedrine at my gas station, I thought it was amazing. To make it better, I would then buy NoDoz and aspirin to "glorify" the effect. It should be pointed out that I took this over the same time frame my weight went from 250lbs to 330lbs.
    Maybe it reduced hunger but if I gave you all a sugar pill that "stopped hunger" it would be effective on about half of you. Fact is ECA is not and there will never be a "magic pill" for weight loss so please for the love of God stop wasting your money on that *kitten*.