Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The rush to lose weight really is the one that gets to me. It's often part of the mentality that I call the "fixit" mentality. Dieting should be about learning, not about patching something up and then moving on in ignorance. I think too many people, thanks to media and diet gurus have the idea that dieting is something you can do and then be done with. That's why people regain weight.

Deprivation is part of "fixit"-ism. I'm not talking about people who avoid something because they can't control themselves around it, that's just being smart (I'm thinking of you, Trader Joe's pumpkin spice caramel corn which for me is the whole bag or bust). Like others in this thread, I'm talking about the huge deficit and only salads types. That's not learning anything about how to live a life where you're having a healthy relationship with food and learning to make smart choices and balancing nutrition and enjoyment while balancing energy needs. And all of that is vital to long term success.

TL:DR - Too many people aren't focused on the big picture.

Agree with all this but especially the bolded. I've posted this many times, but I've noticed something on these boards with regards to the desire to lose weight quickly. In every other aspect of our lives we lament how quickly time passes. "Where did the summer go? How can it be time for school to start again? Why are the kids growing up so fast? Wish I could just slow things down and enjoy the moment"...

EXCEPT for weight loss. When it comes to weight loss we want it fast, we want to get it over with as quickly as possible. And I think it's because people think weight loss = suffering. Anything we think is going to be unpleasant we want to just do as quickly as possible "time to remove the bandage, this may hurt, ok, just get it over with"...

If people approached weight loss with a moderate deficit, focused on learning new healthy habits and enjoying new foods and old favorites while still losing weight, I think they may realize that it can actually be an enjoyable process and not one that needs to be rushed through in order to achieve the end as quickly as possible.

I don't think it's about feeling the need to suffer. I think it's a combination of disbelief that it COULD possibly be this simple and the quote from "When Harry met Sally"..."when you realize that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible"

I didn't mean to suggest that people feel the need to suffer. I agree with the rest, people just can't believe it doesn't have to be a miserable experience, to lose weight. It's not easy, but it is simple, and by learning healthy habits it can be something that they enjoy as a true "lifestyle change" not just a means to an end.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    IMO it is easier to make people believe you can do it "fast" than it is to make them believe in doing it right. I mean how many commercials for "XYZ" product do you see daily that say "You can look like this in 6 weeks. Send us $19.99". Of course then the fine print reads "results are not typical". Doing it right takes a level of self-commitment. You have to want it bad enough. Listening to the wrong messages daily, trying the "message" and failing makes most people feel defeated. So when they see the "do this right, it will work", they question it because they've already in their mind "failed" repeatedly. Like I said, IMO and YMMV.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The rush to lose weight really is the one that gets to me. It's often part of the mentality that I call the "fixit" mentality. Dieting should be about learning, not about patching something up and then moving on in ignorance. I think too many people, thanks to media and diet gurus have the idea that dieting is something you can do and then be done with. That's why people regain weight.

Deprivation is part of "fixit"-ism. I'm not talking about people who avoid something because they can't control themselves around it, that's just being smart (I'm thinking of you, Trader Joe's pumpkin spice caramel corn which for me is the whole bag or bust). Like others in this thread, I'm talking about the huge deficit and only salads types. That's not learning anything about how to live a life where you're having a healthy relationship with food and learning to make smart choices and balancing nutrition and enjoyment while balancing energy needs. And all of that is vital to long term success.

TL:DR - Too many people aren't focused on the big picture.

Well said!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I generally agree that you should do things to lose weight that you aren't willing to do forever in order to maintain. So, I can skip treats Monday thru Friday but I know I'm having something on the weekend.

However, you have to realize that your tastes and comforts change over time. And, you should challenge yourself from time to time to see how things feel and work for you. Otherwise, you'll be in a rut. What doesn't work at one point in your life, might work better latter on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've just posted this as my woe and asked for help! How do you embed healthy as a lifestyle choice? The second I take my eye off the ball I pile back on my problem half a stone.
    You make small changes that eventually become habits. You become willing to do whatever it takes to make those changes and make it stick. It can feel disruptive at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes normal.
  • dmsx3
    dmsx3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This. So much this. I am almost 20 lbs lighter than I was in mid July and have eaten hamburgers, French fries, chocolate chip cookies, pizza and beer. Not exclusively, of course, but I wasn't eating those things exclusively before then either. If you take your time losing the weight, you don't have to deprive yourself.
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yep, too many people set up MFP, put their activity as sedentary and choose to lose 2 lbs per week, MFP gives them 1200 calories, they manage to stick to it for a few weeks and eventually break and end up binging, then they feel guilty and that they need to "fix" the binge so they go right back to restricting which causes them to binge again and the cycle continues, I bet this is the cause of so many eating disorders, it's sad. Imo you shouldn't lose more than 1% of bodyweight per week, e.g. if you're 150 lbs your deficit should be 750 cals at the very maximum.

I've been doing this for years. It's taken me a good 10 years to realise that this isn't the way