Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

Options

Replies

• ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am happy that I finally realized that this weight is going to come of slow. I realized that this is a lifetime of eating change. I also realized that I can still eat foods I like and crave within moderation and I make room for those foods in my eating plan.
  • ds41980
    Options
    I am happy that I finally realized that this weight is going to come of slow. I realized that this is a lifetime of eating change. I also realized that I can still eat foods I like and crave within moderation and I make room for those foods in my eating plan.
  • ds41980
    Options
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If you don't have a realistic calorie goal and try to lose too much too quickly you will just burn yourself out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation.

See ... I look at that sort of thing as 'returning to my normal eating habits' ... I had kind of gotten off track and/or gave myself permission to eat a lot more than I normally eat for a little while, and I gained weight. No surprise.

When I started with MFP, I returned to a more normal diet. Basically all the same foods I usually eat, just smaller portions ... portions that don't leave my stomach hurting from too much food.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation.

See ... I look at that sort of thing as 'returning to my normal eating habits' ... I had kind of gotten off track and/or gave myself permission to eat a lot more than I normally eat for a little while, and I gained weight. No surprise.

That's what I did too.

It's more helpful to me to reframe two pieces of pizza or skipping dessert on a particular day or not snacking between meals (as that's the meal pattern that works best for me) as something other than "deprivation." I suppose some could find it beneficial mentally to focus on it being deprivation, however, although I'd bet that's more unusual.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's what I did too.

It's more helpful to me to reframe two pieces of pizza or skipping dessert on a particular day or not snacking between meals (as that's the meal pattern that works best for me) as something other than "deprivation." I suppose some could find it beneficial mentally to focus on it being deprivation, however, although I'd bet that's more unusual.

That's what I do also. I don't consider desserts as entitlements. They are occasional treats. So I'm not cutting desserts in my mind. I'm simply adding them here and there on special occasions. Then I feel enhanced rather than deprived. And I don't go overboard and usually have one scoop of ice cream or 1/2 slice/sliver of cake or pie if it is a birthday or celebration. I simply cut back on calories on other days if I go over maintenance for that day. Then I go back to my "new normal" schedule asap which is NOT how I ate when I gained weight.

It probably helped me that I grew up that way.

My mother was a nurse, and she tried really hard to feed my brother and me a reasonably healthy diet. As a part of that, we only had desert after one meal a day, and even so it was usually something like fruit or maybe a tiny pudding or jello or a single cookie or something really small. Definitely not anything large or extravagant.

But on weekends she'd make something a bit bigger like a cake or pie ... and we'd split an 8 inch diameter cake or pie between the 4 of us over 2 days. We'd also be quite active on the weekends ... cycling, hiking, cross-country skiing or whatever which kind of compensated for it.

So now I tend to have a small yogurt and maybe a bit of fruit or something similar an hour or so after dinner. Back to the way I grew up where dessert wasn't really a big deal. :)
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This was something that held me back for so long. I'm so glad I finally got into Reddit and talking to REAL people who showed me the REAL way to lose weight and brought me back here.

I'm still set to a 1400 calorie limit, sedentary, 2-pound loss goal. But I don't fill that limit with food for birds. I fill it with food I love and ate before starting my journey. I eat what I like, but I pay close attention to how much, and how I feel while eating. I eat slower. I notice when I am comfortable and satisfied and don't ignore it until I am so full I feel like dying.

The only changes I've made to my diet aside from mindfulness is my snacking and drinking habits. I only drink water and green tea except for on special occasions, and I have many varieties of 0 calorie water flavoring to keep things exciting. I don't eat junk food to fill the time between meals. I have found healthier snacks that I enjoy and crave that aren't going to get me stuck in a mindless eating cycle and use up all my daily calories. I have made a point to eat breakfast every day, even if it's just an apple or a yogurt.

I've not pushed myself to work out, so I can give my body time to adjust to the changes in eating habits. Instead, I go for walks when I genuinely want to. Luckily, as the weather has been beautiful, this has been often, and has given me the added benefit of a little bit of leg strength gain.

I don't feel deprived, in food, or otherwise. I don't think I ate large quantities to begin with, and I think that helps. I think I just had a problem with mindlessly eating (and drinking) all my calories in soda and processed snacks. Those that are used to eating larger meals will definitely have a harder time than I am. I consider myself lucky.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

When I started with MFP, I returned to a more normal diet. Basically all the same foods I usually eat, just smaller portions ... portions that don't leave my stomach hurting from too much food.

That's fine. No problem there. But eating 2 pieces isn't normal for everyone. I maintained a healthy weight for decades while eating 5-6 pieces of pizza at a time fairly regularly.

But my point wasn't who can eat how many slices of pizza. My point was we all choose our method of deprivation. Different strokes and all that jazz. There is no universally right way to do it.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's what I did too.

That's what I do also. I don't consider desserts as entitlements. They are occasional treats. So I'm not cutting desserts in my mind. I'm simply adding them here and there on special occasions. Then I feel enhanced rather than deprived. And I don't go overboard and usually have one scoop of ice cream or 1/2 slice/sliver of cake or pie if it is a birthday or celebration. I simply cut back on calories on other days if I go over maintenance for that day. Then I go back to my "new normal" schedule asap which is NOT how I ate when I gained weight.

It probably helped me that I grew up that way.

My mother was a nurse, and she tried really hard to feed my brother and me a reasonably healthy diet. As a part of that, we only had desert after one meal a day, and even so it was usually something like fruit or maybe a tiny pudding or jello or a single cookie or something really small. Definitely not anything large or extravagant.

But on weekends she'd make something a bit bigger like a cake or pie ... and we'd split an 8 inch diameter cake or pie between the 4 of us over 2 days. We'd also be quite active on the weekends ... cycling, hiking, cross-country skiing or whatever which kind of compensated for it.

So now I tend to have a small yogurt and maybe a bit of fruit or something similar an hour or so after dinner. Back to the way I grew up where dessert wasn't really a big deal. :)

I grew up that way also. My mom was thin, 5'4", and 109 pounds. She didn't give us big portions, plus I don't like that "stuffed" full feeling or next day bloat. So I'm happy with 1/2 portions or small servings. If we go out, for instance, I'll often ask for a take home box and put 1/2 away to take home for another meal. American restaurant portions are huge IMO . Fortunately my stomach shrinks down over time eating small portions, so I feel full on smaller amounts. So based on how I was raised I have an old framework grid to home back to.
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is going to be 1900 calories or so. That isn't huge, I'll need to deprive. 400 calories for breakfast, 600 for a healthy lunch, that leaves 900 for dinner and some snacks. Afternoon lull grab 100 calories of almonds, that leaves me with 800 for dinner. That's surprisingly small. Let's say I want to have a beer with dinner and a few bites of desert, right that that's 300 calories - leaving 500 for food. And that's at my goal weight TDEE, not while dieting.

I think being thin is a bit about deprivation. It has to be reasonable, but, it is a bit about deprivation and learning to be hungry sometimes.

I completely agree it is unreasonable to not cheat now and again, but, it is a very different way to live than when I didn't have a care in the world. The benefits of health outweigh the negatives, but it certainly isn't as fun at mealtime.