October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I can empathise with this, the sheer frustration of seeing so many people make killer progress while you have to constantly reign it in just to be able to stay on your feet...
    So, I guess what I'm saying is that it's ok to feel rubbish about how things are going, and I won't tell you not to feel bad because I know that you will. But, don't let that feeling define your journey. Use that negative energy and channel it into doing your PT exercises, making sure you do your preventative strength training when you're back to it and DO NOT GIVE UP.

@louubelle16 , @elise4270, @_nikkiwolf_ , @shanaber, & @greenolivetree thanks sooo much for the encouragement & sharing your experiences. I am very happy for everyone who can & does make killer progress, but it's really good to know that there are plenty of others like me, for whom it's much more of a struggle. That's just what I needed to keep pushing forward. THANK YOU :smile:

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Your poor little guy! I sure hope he feels better soon. It's so awful & scary when those little ones get so sick...and exhausting for us parents! Hope you can get some rest too.

@Ohhim I bet you can YouTube at least part of the marathon :smile: It's really fun to watch.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/1 - life day
    10/2 - travel day
    10/3 - 5 miles
    10/4 - not so much
    10/5 - still not so much
    10/6 - 6 miles
    10/7 - 3 miles
    10/8 - 4 miles windy windy windy ha ha
    10/9 - none
    10/10 - none
    10/11 - 6 miles

24 out of 115 miles

exercise.png

@MNLittleFinn I hope little man is better soon.
    @lporter229 love the picture with your pup, I was thinking the same thing about your hair. I need a new do soon.
    @7lenny7 I love Kody.
    @respectthekitty I have started to run with pepper spray after the pit bull attacked us, I have to remind myself not to hold the canister because I tend to tense up my arm. I had to get a new one a couples weeks back because Macy (my Labradoodle) got mine during the day and chewed the can. She pretty lucky it didn't spray out at her.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - nice save! Some of these acorns are extra sneaky and try to hide under the fallen leaves, grrr. lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @katharmonic Running with a dog is awesome! It's like you're getting double credit for your own running. Does she pull when walking? What I did with Kody was when he'd pull walking, I'd stop completely until he realized we weren't going anywhere. When he'd look back and slacken the leash, we'd start up again. Of course, a few steps later he's pulling again and we have to stop. For two weeks I don't think we made it a block any one time but it did improve quite a bit. Some say to turn around and go the other direction but that didn't have much affect on Kody. He didn't care if we changed direction. To get him to stop pulling when my sons took him for a walk we had to go to a prong collar. They look a LOT worse than they really are. They're actually the most humane way to restrain a strong pulling dog, I think. The prongs look menacing but the spread out the force without chocking the dog the way a normal collar would. - Great race and congrats on the PR! I have to agree with @MNLittleFinn, you look great in the photo.

Thanks @7lenny7! That's exactly what I'm working on with her while walking - stopping every time she pulls. It's extremely slow going but I can tell she's getting it bit by bit. I also have a head collar I could try. We'll keep at it. Kody is beautiful and those are great photos of him in the nice fall background.

So much to catch up on here. Great running everyone! Glad to see the injured rehabbing and getting closer to running.

@zmcgrandles good job on your HM!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 you get in the TC 10 mile, and I run the marathon, or get in the 10 mile, and we'll have to meet up.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day
    10/11: 10 miles

Nice jaunt after work today; legs felt great and the run was good but ALL THE LITTLE ANNOYANCES! For the first 4 or 5 miles my socks were too tight and hurting my feet because I dried them too long when I did laundry last week. At 1.5 miles a gnat flew into my eye. For the last 3 miles my thighs were chafing like crazy. A half mile from my house I almost got hit by a car. I was very relieved to finally get back to my house and call it a day!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift that run turned into quite the ordeal!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @katharmonic Running with a dog is awesome! It's like you're getting double credit for your own running. Does she pull when walking? What I did with Kody was when he'd pull walking, I'd stop completely until he realized we weren't going anywhere. When he'd look back and slacken the leash, we'd start up again. Of course, a few steps later he's pulling again and we have to stop. For two weeks I don't think we made it a block any one time but it did improve quite a bit. Some say to turn around and go the other direction but that didn't have much affect on Kody. He didn't care if we changed direction. To get him to stop pulling when my sons took him for a walk we had to go to a prong collar. They look a LOT worse than they really are. They're actually the most humane way to restrain a strong pulling dog, I think. The prongs look menacing but the spread out the force without chocking the dog the way a normal collar would. - Great race and congrats on the PR! I have to agree with @MNLittleFinn, you look great in the photo.
    Thanks @7lenny7! That's exactly what I'm working on with her while walking - stopping every time she pulls. It's extremely slow going but I can tell she's getting it bit by bit. I also have a head collar I could try. We'll keep at it. Kody is beautiful and those are great photos of him in the nice fall background.
    @katharmonic - if she is treat driven you can also try having treats in your hand and when she doesn't pull, pop her a treat and praise her. My puppy class trainer said we should use a clicker too but I could never manage the leash, treats and a clicker! I did end up with a combined approach of stopping like @7lenny7 mentions along with treating. Hobbes the Vizsla is now a bit over 4 and we still sometimes have to stop when we are running when he decides he needs to pull me. It only takes a reminder and then he is good to go again though. I also used a prong collar with covers on the prongs because he doesn't have much fur to go through. We still use for places that he gets over excited about like walking down to the beach... all training pretty much leaves his brain there :)

@MNLittleFinn - hope your little man is all better today and that you get some sleep tonight!
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @BeeerRunner - I have tried a few different kinds of 'sleeves' and some have been terrible and fallen right down my arm and others I love. I have a pair of Asics that I found on clearance that are lightly 'brushed' or fleece (thermal?) on the inside that is wonderful when it is really cold before a run or a race. I just realized my other favorites are also Asics and they are thinner polyester but both sets have a band on the upper part that is a bit sticky elastic that helps keep them from falling down. Both are XS/SM
    @7lenny7 - Love the pictures! Kody looks SO happy! Do you have to worry about ticks when you run with him there?
    @Stoshew71 - The video is awesome! Also nice new car!! We are in the market for a new one one of these days soon. Just can't decide what yet.

I bought Matt Fitzgerald's 'New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition' and it came today. Figure while I am not running I will get some reading in!

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty just wait, it gets worse. Soon you'll be wanting to sign up for even more Races, then you look at LONGER races, and try going FASTER! LOL, welcome to the true addiction.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Joining up late but that is better than not at all.
    Trying for 8000 steps/per day/ Monday - Saturday

(^.^)

Welcome - 8000K steps/day is a great way to build up your fitness!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice job pressing on through all that! I've had those runs with stuff like pants falling down, nose running, etc.

@RespectTheKitty Sounds like you're hooked ;)

5k for me after work. My legs were killing me either from last night's intervals or strength workout or both. Yet I ran faster and faster. At one point I was telling myself "This is not pain, it's just discomfort, soreness." LOL. Next run definitely need to slow down.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @kristinegift

A few weeks ago I had a evening interval run that went into dusk. Right as it was getting dark I inhaled what had to be a June bug because I nearly choked to death. Guess bugs are an occupational hazzard with running.

Most definitely....I accidentally inhaled a horsefly that was pestering me for 4 miles straight. Fortunately I waa able to spit him out. I was so glad to get rid of him...totally worth it!! Lol
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. I've signed up for another race.

This one is the Trick or Trot 5k in Villa Park on October 29. It's about a mile from my apartment and the race is run on the Prairie Path. It's also a smaller race than the Turkey Trot, so it's a perfect warm up for Thanksgiving.

Runners are invited to wear their Halloween costumes. I have an orange jack o'lantern shirt that I'm going to wear.

I've been wanting to do a halloween dress up 5k, but I've got a 5 mile turkey trot in November and a half marathon in December. I don't want to overdo it. Anyway, it sounds like fun!