October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We have an agree button now but they took away something else? I can't remember...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Inspirational has been replaced with Agree.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just got on MFP like three days ago but I would love to be apart of this group. I'm really trying to get into the running world.
    I usually set a goal of 50 miles a month but that's on a treadmill.

Welcome! We'll take anyone that runs!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @kristinegift

A few weeks ago I had a evening interval run that went into dusk. Right as it was getting dark I inhaled what had to be a June bug because I nearly choked to death. Guess bugs are an occupational hazzard with running.

Most definitely....I accidentally inhaled a horsefly that was pestering me for 4 miles straight. Fortunately I waa able to spit him out. I was so glad to get rid of him...totally worth it!! Lol

Coughing up bugs make me pee. Just choke 'em down :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    swillis21 wrote: »
    Can I join? I have a baby and have been so tired that I kept putting off running or when I did I didn't stick to it. But it's time - I got back on mfp starting yesterday. My goal coming in late is 24 miles since my runs are around a mile right now. And my MIL is coming to visit but I'm wanting to still run those days too.

Absolutely! Welcome. This thread gets busy and a little crazy. So just jump on in!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yay - welcome to all the newbies!

The agree button is helpful, but I think @skippygirlsmom had the best idea when she said a while back that we need a "oh man that sucks" button. Maybe we could all petition the MFP gurus?
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tried to experiment with speed workouts (400m repeats) after my normal run. Didn't go so well, got chased and almost tripped by someone's dog. Back to the treadmill, I guess.

exercise.png
    10/1 6.2 (6.2 MTD)
    10/5 6.2 (12.4 MTD)
    10/9 10.0 (22.4 MTD)
    10/11 6.2 (28.8 MTD)
    Upcoming races:
    9/10 - Louisville Pure Tap 5k 25:03
    10/1 - Norton Sports Health Great Pumpkin 10k 51:12
    10/22 - Urban Bourbon Half Marathon
    11/24 - Hungry Turkey 5k
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty just wait, it gets worse. Soon you'll be wanting to sign up for even more Races, then you look at LONGER races, and try going FASTER! LOL, welcome to the true addiction.
    @kristinegift
    A few weeks ago I had a evening interval run that went into dusk. Right as it was getting dark I inhaled what had to be a June bug because I nearly choked to death. Guess bugs are an occupational hazzard with running.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @kristinegift
    Most definitely....I accidentally inhaled a horsefly that was pestering me for 4 miles straight. Fortunately I waa able to spit him out. I was so glad to get rid of him...totally worth it!! Lol
    Coughing up bugs make me pee. Just choke 'em down :wink:

@RespectTheKitty As @MNLittleFinn said the addiction of running is terrible/good life changing. Looking for new races, planning travel around races. Someone even planned there Wedding around there Race schedule.
    Being I had some shoes that I diagnosed as giving me ( aggravating old calf injury ) so I semi re-tired them and another pair. We all now what that means - Retail Therapy - Shoe Shopping. 3 new dogs in the collection plus socks $260.00. My brand new Saucony Nomad TR ( 3hrs old ) no longer have that New Shoe Smell - 10 km and Happy Feet/Happy calf. Along with 2 more Mizuno Wave Inspires.

Now good people we had this discussion about insects last Year.
    They are just a Protein Supplement and extremely low in calories.
    No insects left where I live as we are usually below zero every morning and have snow on most of the sheltered bush trails.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Wow, what a scary and awesome race to do for Halloween!

01 October – 10.6 km including parkrun
    03 October – 12.4 km
    04 October – 10 km
    05 October – 10.2 km
    06 October – 10 km
    08 October – 10.5 km including parkrun
    09 October – 13.6 km first try at trail running
    10 October – 10.9 km
    11 October – 10 km
    12 October – 6.7 km

Goal: 100 miles (160 km)
    Total: 104.9 km

If I do less than 10 km, that's a rest day, right?
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,109 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Had my 1st run for October last night. I hadn't been out for 2 weeks to give my ankle a chance. It's still not right after almost 7 weeks but a lot better. I'm not going to over it. The worst thing is the weather is lovely at the moment but we are expected to get the tail end of Hurricane Matthew in the next 2 weeks so lots of storm and rain. It's the same every year so no point whinging!

Well done to all the racers from 5k's up to marathons and hope your little boy is ok @MNLittleFinn.

11/10 3 miles

exercise.png

• HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Week off due to stinking cold :( but 2 more this morning so 6 so far, but the numbers should go up from here :)
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    3.5k this morning - Couldn't get going as had no energy but my own fault for pottering around this morning rather than going out when I got up. Also felt slight niggle in left knee when warming up - it soon disappeared but decided would be better off cutting run short so only did about half of what I planned. Try again later/tomorrow..

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day
    10/11: 10 miles
    10/12: 6 miles

Why was I so excited for fall? It was chilly and dark and creepy this morning! Got my miles in but just wasn't feeling it. I really hate running in the dark. But I did upgrade my headlamp and that made it much easier to see. I went from the Black Diamond Gizmo ($20ish; 60 lumens) to the Spot ($30-40; max 200 lumens); highly recommend shelling out the extra $10-20 for a lamp with more lumens. It'll prove useful!

Back to the doubles tonight. If I'm feeling good after work I'll probably move my speed work to tonight and run easy in the morning. I don't want to do tempo work in the dark :/

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift

@5512bf Yuck! I had a june bug hit me in the face the first run I had when I went home to Iowa; it then attached itself to my shirt and before I came in the house I had my brother check me for bugs :D
    @kristinegift Nice job pressing on through all that! I've had those runs with stuff like pants falling down, nose running, etc.

@greenolivetree It's no fun! But runs like that -- with lots of distractions and annoying things -- make me really, really appreciate the ones that go well!
    @kristinegift

@BeeerRunner Ick! Also that is one determined horsefly!

I'm glad we all have such great bug stories ;)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - Stella is very food motivated. I'm having a hard time coordinating the leash and treating and moving at the same time. I definitely can't imagine adding the clicker to that. :)

I'm enjoying my week off from running. I just need to rein in the eating like I'm still running every day.

@BeeerRunner you really showed that horsefly. So gross, but he had it coming!

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    10/1- 4.04 miles
    10/2- Rest/Travel day
    10/3- 3.47
    10/4- 5.03
    10/5- 3.0
    10/6- 5.0
    10/7- 4.4
    10/8- 7.4
    10/9- REST- Grumble Grumble Grumble
    10/10- 5.22
    10/11- 4.02
    10/12- 3.01

Total: 44.5/70

Today's notes: Today was SUPPOSED to be a 5-6 mile run, but when my alarm went off at 0500 instead of 0435, I knew that wasn't happening. I guess I didn't turn on the earlier alarm, good thing I had the later one still set. However, that being said, I'm kind of glad it was a shorter run today. When I headed out, it was 37F, just cool enough that the precipitation was snow when it was falling, but melted upon hitting the ground. Winds were somewhat strong, but not nasty, just strong enough to be annoying.

Ran my 3.01 miles in 20:24, for an Average pace of 10:06, and an average HR of 149. This was a little higher than I wanted, but with my sinuses bugging me, and a couple coughing/hacking fits, I'm not too surprised. Still, feeling really happy with how things are going. My Garmin never hit the point where it had to alert me that I was out ov z2 (156 is the top), so I feel that I am making some improvements, even after just a couple weeks of dedicated, slow, cardio building running.