Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Yay - welcome to all the newbies!

The agree button is helpful, but I think @skippygirlsmom had the best idea when she said a while back that we need a "oh man that sucks" button. Maybe we could all petition the MFP gurus?

"that sucks" would be nice. "wtf" would be better.

Couldn't agree more!!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom You might need some electrolytes too. Last week my hubby had awful cramps because his Dr gave him this awesome pill that made him pee like a racehorse and lose all his electrolytes. He's now on magnesium pills. When I start living off Diet Coke, I get stabbing flank pain - my right kidney telling me "Good gosh Woman! Drink some water!"

@cjgallant65 Welcome back to running and welcome to our group!

@elise4270 It just occurred to me that you and my hubby are opposite. He was so skinny when he was on short term disability. Went back to work and gained it all back from stress-eating. He would come home from work and chain-eat (that's what I call it - just like chain-smoking but food is his drug). He was so "chill" on disability. LOL I would totally go crazy and gain 50lbs if I was off work. Keep hanging in there! You'll be running 6 miles again and even more!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    3.5k this morning - Couldn't get going as had no energy but my own fault for pottering around this morning rather than going out when I got up. Also felt slight niggle in left knee when warming up - it soon disappeared but decided would be better off cutting run short so only did about half of what I planned. Try again later/tomorrow..

exercise.png

So, finally worked up the motivation to put the chocolates down and pick up my running shoes and try again. I knew immediately that a fast run wasn't going to happen today so decided instead on a steady jog, and have just done another 8k (I had only intended to do 5k but felt good so did one more lap!). It actually felt suprisingly easy, especially considering I did 3.5k this morning and my longest run ever is only just over 12k (and that was only 2 days ago!).

Was feeling quite low about everything this morning, but now definitely feeling good again. Amazing what a good run can do for your spirits!

Edit: Knee was fine btw (i.e. I didn't even think about it and completely forgot about previous niggle until just now reading my post from this morning)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Date    Miles   Total
    10/01    3.1    3.1
           + Strength
    10/02    6.4    9.5
    10/03    Rest
    10/04    Strength
    10/05    4.0    13.5
    10/06    3.2    16.7
    10/07    Strength
    10/08    3.3    20.0
    10/09    7.0    27.0
    10/10    Rest
    10/11    3.2    30.2 <- Total So Far
           + Strength
    10/12    Rest

I messed up the dates last time I logged. It should be correct now :)

I usually don't run on Tuesday because it is trash day. But then, with a long run in the afternoon on Sunday, I just could not get up early and fit in a short run on Monday morning. That leaves me with 2 non-running days in a roll. Finally, last night I decided that I could try and run on Tuesday evening when most people would have put away their trash cans :) It was nice and cool. I did my strength training after the run, that was a bit tough. I think I will probably switch my strength training to Mondays and keep my evening run on Tuesdays.

exercise.png

This thread is getting a little hard to keep up but I really enjoyed reading the posts and the race reports. Thanks for sharing!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@elise4270 It just occurred to me that you and my hubby are opposite. He was so skinny when he was on short term disability. Went back to work and gained it all back from stress-eating. He would come home from work and chain-eat (that's what I call it - just like chain-smoking but food is his drug). He was so "chill" on disability. LOL I would totally go crazy and gain 50lbs if I was off work. Keep hanging in there! You'll be running 6 miles again and even more!

I can see that, work all day and de-stress by snacking all night. I've lost 4-5 pounds being off. But I'm convinced it's muscle loss. Fat seems to be still there. The PT was in awe of my got dog legs, thought they were cute. *Sigh* I kinda feel like Danny Devito's penguin character. Wahk wahk wak.

I'm so happy walking today! Wierd my calf is tight sore. Dang normal-er gait. LOL!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Finally got back to weight lifting last night. Felt my legs and glutes yelling at me on every step of today's 6 mile run, lolz. Normally I wouldn't be running on Wednesday, so should be fine to lift Tuesday night, but I'm a day off this week since I had to push my long run to this past Monday instead of Sunday. Feel the DOMS!

xghmqn5skqo9.jpg

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11 – 1:43:24
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25 – 2:09:58
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Fall Harvest 5k – 11/13
    Christmas-y run???
    Run for the Wild 5k (Bronx Zoo) – 4/29/17
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Today, I was about 20 minutes into my tempo lap, but I had to stop to give an elderly lady directions, and I just couldn't get started again once she pulled away. My right quad is bugging me since Sunday's run, but I believe it was likely the mental break that did me in. I mostly walked the rest of the way home. Garmin did tell me it recorded my fastest mile in there since I got my new watch (11:56). Yay! Slowly getting somewhere.

1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)
    7: rest
    8: bailed due to rain and other lame excuses
    9: 13.12 miles (long with 12 x 1/4 mile zone 2 intervals and zone 2 finish)
    10. 2.53 miles (recovery)
    11. rest
    12. skipped (grumpy quad and a bad attitude)
    13. 3.42 miles (tempo)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    4 miles tonight 16 in total now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I think I convinced my mom to train for a half to run with me next year. Problem is, depending on the scheduling, it could be only a week or 2 before the marathon I might be targeting... why do I have to come up with so many "awesome" ideas?????
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo, my grandson and my DIL are here from CO this week. I planned to run this morning but she wanted to walk together so of course I did that since we don't get that many opportunities. Had a nice 3 mile walk with my grandson along as well.

In order to stick to my 10K training plan I decided to run this evening. I forgot to warm-up so the first mile was really rough but I just went slow and concentrated on stretching things out as I went. Ended up getting another 5K in and even though the overall pace was a bit slower than normal the last two splits were pretty decent for me. I'm satisfied and happy that I stuck to my training.

Looks like we're walking again in the morning. We found a great path down by the river here so we're going to explore it a little more. I really think it might be a great running path for me. Looks like it's 2.6 miles out and the same back again with a couple of small steep hills.

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills
    10/03 – Rest Day
    10/04 – 2.1 mile horse trail run with dog – testing out the new Garmin
    10/05 – 3.31 miles horse trail run with dog – looks like Garmin is about 7-8 bbm higher than my Polar
    10/06 – 95 min strength training
    10/07 – 3.6 miles horse trail run with the dog – AVG HR 146
    10/08 – Rest Day
    10/09 – 4.52 miles at the park – longest run yet – AVG HR 147
    10/10 – Another Rest Day……ugggghhhh
    10/11 – 3.1 miles horse trail run – Fastest 5K yet – AVG HR 147
    10/12 – 3.1 miles horse trail run plus a 3 mile walk this morning

exercise.png

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think I convinced my mom to train for a half to run with me next year. Problem is, depending on the scheduling, it could be only a week or 2 before the marathon I might be targeting... why do I have to come up with so many "awesome" ideas?????

My plan had 17 miles for a long run 2 weeks out, with 13 the week before. 13 miles 2 weeks out wouldn't be a stretch at all, especially if your mom isn't very fast. :) you'd most likely be coming off a 20 miler 3 weeks out.
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    October running

10/01: day off
    10/02: 3.5
    10/03: 3.5
    10/04: day off
    10/05: 3.5
    10/06: 3.5
    10/07: day off
    10/08: 3.5
    10/09: day off (pmajor rain)
    10/10: 3.5
    10/11: day off
    10/12: 3.5

Total: 24.5

I think my goal was 60. I'm dreading the short days of winter in Maine. Not sure how I'll be able to keep my daily going.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day
    10/11: 10 miles
    10/12: 6 miles (am), 4.2 miles (pm)

I got off work and really wanted to do my speed workout, but unfortunately I only brought shorts and the chub chafe from yesterday was HORRENDOUS. When I packed my running clothes in the morning, apparently the monstrous and horribly painful thigh chafe slipped my mind because my brain is dumb before the coffee kicks in. So it was all I could do to not rage-cry on the second half of my loop as I dejectedly went back to my car. Looks like I'll be doing my 8 miles/speed work in the dark tomorrow morning. Blegh.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

My plan had 17 miles for a long run 2 weeks out, with 13 the week before. 13 miles 2 weeks out wouldn't be a stretch at all, especially if your mom isn't very fast. :) you'd most likely be coming off a 20 miler 3 weeks out.

Her faster pace is right at my easy pace right now, so I'd imagine that if she were running a HM, she'd be somewhere in my recovery pace range. Good to know I could probably do both. The HM is the same one I ran 2 weeks ago, and they did an awesome job with the event.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just got on MFP like three days ago but I would love to be apart of this group. I'm really trying to get into the running world.
    I usually set a goal of 50 miles a month but that's on a treadmill.

Welcome - we love new victims friends in the group!