Eating the foods you hate

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I am just curious - what is the conversation in your head that creates the negative judgement about a food? I know that I dont like the taste of most fish, so thats why I dont eat it, other than salmon or tuna. I dont like celery because jeepers, you can chew and chew that stuff and it is so fibrous that it just doesnt seem to want to go down. Is it texture? Smell? Someone said mushrooms are slimey - I have never had a slimey mushroom, so its difficult to relate to that. I dont like organ meats or brains or stuff, but I wasnt raised on them, and so I have a preconceived idea that I wont like them. I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".

For me, the main feature of the things I don't like is texture.

Next is how they make me feel.

And finally, it is smell/taste.

And then there are eggs.

Eggs are a bit of a strange one for me.

I'm not keen on the texture. They give me horrific gallbladder pain. And the taste isn't anything to write home about.

But I like eggs.

I keep trying to eat them. I eat two for breakfast one morning and that's OK. But heaven forbid I have two for breakfast the next morning as well, I'll be doubled over in agony.

43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    elsing84 wrote: »
    Anyone tried to force themselves to eat the foods they hate until the liked them. How was the experience and did you have success.

I'm tackling nuts and seeds, I've always hated these it's the last food type on a long list of foods to definitely be avoided by my former picky eater self. I'm starting by adding them to yoghurts, oats and adding a sprinkling in some recipies.

Day 1 - 3 I couldn't help but pull a face at the taste and they had a horrible aftertaste
    Day 4 - just a slight aftertaste and no pulling faces (or did I just add more yoghurt)

Tomatoes. I used to hate them and even retched if they touched my tongue, but a few years ago I started buying these premade sandwiches from the university that had grilled chicken, lettuce, sweet chilli sauce and tomato in em. I stopped myself from picking the tomatoes out. Somehow, experiencing the subtle taste of the tomato (which was overshadowed by the chicken and sweet chilli) acclimated me to eating tomatoes and now I have no problem with them.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Mango.

I wanted to like mango since forever. I like mango lassi, liked mango smoothies, but plain raw mango, no.

Every year I would eat a mango hoping to like it.

Finally the little honey mangos became available in our area, and those I love.

Regular mango, still kinda meh but I can eat and enjoy it now.

Papaya, that's a different story, it just tastes like vomit to me. I don't even try anymore.

I like a whole lot of foods, so many foods that most people think I am not a picky eater - I am picky in the sense of having likes and dislikes, I do care how things taste. But I like a lot of different foods and tastes.

i want to like papaya so bad :( i love mango in things like smothies or mago flavored anything. fresh mango tastes like feet and papaya tastes like vomit/farts to me haha.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Mango.

I wanted to like mango since forever. I like mango lassi, liked mango smoothies, but plain raw mango, no.

Papaya, that's a different story, it just tastes like vomit to me. I don't even try anymore.

I like a whole lot of foods, so many foods that most people think I am not a picky eater - I am picky in the sense of having likes and dislikes, I do care how things taste. But I like a lot of different foods and tastes.

i want to like papaya so bad :( i love mango in things like smothies or mago flavored anything. fresh mango tastes like feet and papaya tastes like vomit/farts to me haha.

I love, love, love Thai green papaya salad. I'd rather eat week old fish than eat ripe papaya, however. And the very smell of mangoes drives me out of the fruit and veg shop.
  • ellenconnel
    ellenconnel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sometime it is good to eat what you don't like
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    First world problems in this thread, we have all this nutritious food readily available to us but we'll only deign to eat it if we know for sure it's one of our faves. Smells a little like entitlement, however it tastes.

this is a bit dramatic. Me not liking seafood and choosing not to consume it is not a first world problem. no one in this thread said they only eat their favorite foods haha what are you reading??? i eat green beans they are not my favorite. No food is my favorite besides watermelon.
    so what do you do to be out of the bubble of entitled first world provlems? You on a smartphone? you have cable? hot running water? electricity? do you go to the movies? Do you need every piece of clothing you have your closet? do you own a car?

hows that glass house you live in?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    First world problems in this thread, we have all this nutritious food readily available to us but we'll only deign to eat it if we know for sure it's one of our faves. Smells a little like entitlement, however it tastes.

this is a bit dramatic. Me not liking seafood and choosing not to consume it is not a first world problem. no one in this thread said they only eat their favorite foods haha what are you reading??? i eat green beans they are not my favorite. No food is my favorite besides watermelon.
    so what do you do to be out of the bubble of entitled first world provlems? You on a smartphone? you have cable? hot running water? electricity? do you go to the movies? Do you need every piece of clothing you have your closet? do you own a car?

hows that glass house you live in?

lil' bit...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    sometime it is good to eat what you don't like

Why?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mango.

I love, love, love Thai green papaya salad. I'd rather eat week old fish than eat ripe papaya, however. And the very smell of mangoes drives me out of the fruit and veg shop.

Oh a big h*ll yes to that green papaya salad. I love that stuff so much. And the wierd indian green mango pickle, I never had a problem with those things, it's something that happens when the fruits ripen, they get a skankiness that is unpleasant to me? It's weirdly specific - I like plenty of pungent skanky sorts of foods, am not afraid of trying things, not fussy about textures, not squeamish at all about foods, but whatever that ripe papaya flavor is, it just wants to come right back up.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Its so interesting to see how 50/50 this thread is.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Because I was a very picky eater as a child, my "vegetables I will eat" list contained like... Four vegetables. So I get where you're coming from, and it worked quite well for me. I start by putting the disliked food into something strong, where I won't taste it (or at least won't taste it much), then start adding it to milder and milder things until I've acclimated myself to the taste. I won't force something that I absolutely can't help but hate, of course, but things that I "hate" according to my childhood mind that my brain just doesn't want to accept are fair game. :)

Using the above technique, I've managed to start LIKING eggplant, zucchini, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms (I can still only eat these if they're PERFECTLY fresh, like pearly white and not at all soft and slimy), spinach, arugula, bell pepper, and the list goes on. Sure, don't force yourself to eat foods that you ABSOLUTELY cannot stand, but I think expanding your palate is almost always a good thing. (I still refuse to eat cow brains. And tongue. I don't care how traditional they are and how honored of a guest you must be if they get offered to you!)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods I hate. Luckily, I'm not picky at all. Mostly my limitations are due to allergies (shrimp, shellfish) but otherwise..... I avoid anchovies and... I guess there most be something else.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I understand what Elsing is saying. I have always hated mustard. Despised it...and I still do. This is hard because I'm from Chicago where it's practically mandatory to love mustard and eat it on hot dogs. It always looks so good when I see people enjoying it on hot dogs or sausages. Every now and then I'll try it again and force myself to eat it on something hoping that my taste for it has changed over time and that I will now like it. But I still don't. But sometimes your taste for certain foods changes over time. Like there is a lot of stuff that I would never eat in my teens that I love now. So sometimes you have to try something again and you could find that you now like it. I like to think that one day I may like mustard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like an imposter. As an adult I'll go out of my way to get foods I'd run away from as a child/youngster. Today I had spaghetti with cream cheese, asparagus and blue mussels. It was my own creation, and delicious!
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater, and if I forced myself to eat things I hate, I'd end up binging on food I love. I'd rather eat foods I enjoy in reasonable quantities. Am I more open to some foods that I wasn't open to in previous years? Yes. Do I force myself to eat something I absolutely don't enjoy? Nope. I enjoy each meal, and I am not willing to ruin that by feeling ill after eating.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".

the three things i just can't with (and just don't, ever) are fish, bananas and eggs. i don't think it's psychosomatic. i'm a grownup and i can eat something and carry on with my day. i've even had times when i wanted to/sincerely believed i liked them (well, not the bananas. bananas can shove it). so i'd eat them happily. but my body just can't no matter what my mind thinks.

as for specifics, fish and eggs make me feel physically sick. seems i can handle canned fish if it's oily, like sardines and salmon. and rollmops, love those. anchovies yes. but anything else, it seems like my stomach just is going "what do???" for the rest of the day.

bananas just . . . eugh. i think eating them gives me a stomach ache, but the last chance i gave them was 25 years ago so i'm no longer sure. their smell makes me car sick. it affects me the same way that the smell of gasoline does.

oh right. and i just remembered mayonnaise is another never-ever-ever. i so don't get that combination of flavours. it's like an oscar-the-grouch horror story. plus, that on a burger with ketchup looks like a crimean shrapnel wound.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I would disagree. There are many know cases of starving people turning away from food they weren't familiar with, such as the Irish potato famine. When I was donating to Syria they said they don't take pasta because apparently no one will eat it, even the tinned stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

So if you're not forcing yourself to eat food you don't like, you are just being entitled?

BTB, there's not a whole lot I don't like...but one thing I know I dislike are livers and kidney...I'm not going to force the issue...I don't like that...guess I'm just entitled...

LOL...you're funny...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This makes zero sense. Entitlement to what exactly?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am just curious - what is the conversation in your head that creates the negative judgement about a food? I know that I dont like the taste of most fish, so thats why I dont eat it, other than salmon or tuna. I dont like celery because jeepers, you can chew and chew that stuff and it is so fibrous that it just doesnt seem to want to go down. Is it texture? Smell? Someone said mushrooms are slimey - I have never had a slimey mushroom, so its difficult to relate to that. I dont like organ meats or brains or stuff, but I wasnt raised on them, and so I have a preconceived idea that I wont like them. I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".

For me, the main feature of the things I don't like is texture.

Next is how they make me feel.

And finally, it is smell/taste.

So for example ...

Mushrooms are rubbery and slimy (think mushroom slices on pizza) ... bad texture. They also make me feel slightly nauseated and burp for a couple hours after having even a small piece. That's not nice. And they taste bad. They are a fail on all counts.

Green peppers have a good texture. But they leave me feeling digestively upset for even a day or two after eating them ... burping them up, unsettled stomach, heartburn. So that's a big NO. And they taste bad.
    Yellow and red peppers are the same, but milder. I can actually eat a bit of red pepper in a dish and only have mild heartburn and burping etc. and they don't taste quite as bad as green peppers.

Milk, peanuts, peas, and tree nuts have a great texture and taste. But they fail on the second point ... bloating, digestive upset, heartburn, gas, diarrhea. I can manage them in small quantities, but for example, about 10 peanuts is my maximum.

Seafood can fail on the texture. I just can't get past the texture of things like oysters and calamari. And they fail on smell and taste. But I do eat tuna, salmon steaks and battered flake ... those are OK for texture and if they're done nicely the smell/taste is pretty good.

Beef can fail on texture depending how it is done. It can sit in my stomach like a brick, so sometimes it makes me feel bad. And if it is anything remotely pink, the metallic taste of blood just puts me right off.

Steak fails because I had steak once a week from the time I could first manage to chew a bit of it until I was 18. If I never even see steak again, I will be a happy person. It was never my favourite meat (see comments above about beef).
    I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".

the three things i just can't with (and just don't, ever) are fish, bananas and eggs. i don't think it's psychosomatic. i'm a grownup and i can eat something and carry on with my day. i've even had times when i wanted to/sincerely believed i liked them (well, not the bananas. bananas can shove it). so i'd eat them happily. but my body just can't no matter what my mind thinks.

as for specifics, fish and eggs make me feel physically sick. seems i can handle canned fish if it's oily, like sardines and salmon. and rollmops, love those. anchovies yes. but anything else, it seems like my stomach just is going "what do???" for the rest of the day.

bananas just . . . eugh. i think eating them gives me a stomach ache, but the last chance i gave them was 25 years ago so i'm no longer sure. their smell makes me car sick. it affects me the same way that the smell of gasoline does.

oh right. and i just remembered mayonnaise is another never-ever-ever. i so don't get that combination of flavours. it's like an oscar-the-grouch horror story. plus, that on a burger with ketchup looks like a crimean shrapnel wound.

Thank you both for your wonderful answers - I understand now that you have explained it with such clarity. I know everyone has different tastes, but the variations in what we enjoy or hate based on texture and smell is really interesting, cuz we really dont know if we smell or taste food in the same way from person to person. I am always fascinated by the diversity in the human population, and yet how much we assume about each other as if we are all the same.