Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will set myself at 1850 and go from there. It threw me off b/c MFP & Scooby were giving vastly different numbers.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Thank you all. I will set myself at 1850 and go from there. It threw me off b/c MFP & Scooby were giving vastly different numbers.

Well that is because they are estimates and users control the inputs. So it's easy to misuse the tool to provide an answer that doesn't support reality. The good news though, you had data to give you an actual starting point.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Well that is because they are estimates and users control the inputs. So it's easy to misuse the tool to provide an answer that doesn't support reality. The good news though, you had data to give you an actual starting point.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I know my post was super long, but I figured the more info given the easier it would be to get advice. Is .8g/lb of protein a good starting point? Would these macros be okay: 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein? I want to maintain while dropping fat. I still have a good amount of fat around my stomach. My body resembles the 25-26% pic. I've heard a lot of good things about Strong Curves, so that is the program I plan to start with. I'd like to lose about 6-7% of body fat.

body-fat-percentage-chart-men-women.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks! I appreciate it. I know my post was super long, but I figured the more info given the easier it would be to get advice. Is .8g/lb of protein a good starting point? Would these macros be okay: 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein? I want to maintain while dropping fat. I still have a good amount of fat around my stomach. My body resembles the 25-26% pic. I've heard a lot of good things about Strong Curves, so that is the program I plan to start with. I'd like to lose about 6-7% of body fat.

I would probably bump it up slightly to 25% and reduce carbs.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

I would probably bump it up slightly to 25% and reduce carbs.

Great! Thanks so much!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I'm not going into the calories as I agree with psulemon. 1850 is a good starting point.
    .8-1.2g protein per lbs LBM is good. Don't worry too much about the split.

You may find it easier to up your calories by 50-100 cals a day rather than all at once, it's a personal preference thing. Can you handle a scale jump knowing it is water and excess waste.

I'm not sure how you are approaching the lifting but you have it lined up for 3-5 days a week, a couple of them consecutive. Unless you are going to do a split workout, as opposed to full body, doing 3 alternate days a week would be plenty- it is good to give the muscle group worked 48hr recovery.

You might also find that doing your pole work, as it is a full bodyweight workout, on your non lifting days a bit much at the start. Don't worry if you have to cut back on it until you adjust to your lifting routine.

Ideally it would have been good to establish your maintenance for a couple of months, just so you would know your numbers, before starting lifting, but as you are starting into it right away do pay attention to your energy levels (daily activity can drop to compensate). Lifting can be very draining so make sure your sleeping well and eating enough as you raise your calories to maintenance.

I would love it if you came back and reported on your first week and how your trainer has set up your programme. :)

Cheers, h.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just want to add that Strong Curves is designed as 4x per week. It's a great group of programs. I did the beginner one and am currently starting on the Glute only program before trying the Advanced program. I really think you'll enjoy it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @capaul42 thanks for that clarification. I haven't read/done strong curves so wasn't sure on that point.

Cheers, h.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I'm not going into the calories as I agree with psulemon. 1850 is a good starting point.
    .8-1.2g protein per lbs LBM is good. Don't worry too much about the split.

You may find it easier to up your calories by 50-100 cals a day rather than all at once, it's a personal preference thing. Can you handle a scale jump knowing it is water and excess waste.

I'm not sure how you are approaching the lifting but you have it lined up for 3-5 days a week, a couple of them consecutive. Unless you are going to do a split workout, as opposed to full body, doing 3 alternate days a week would be plenty- it is good to give the muscle group worked 48hr recovery.

You might also find that doing your pole work, as it is a full bodyweight workout, on your non lifting days a bit much at the start. Don't worry if you have to cut back on it until you adjust to your lifting routine.

Ideally it would have been good to establish your maintenance for a couple of months, just so you would know your numbers, before starting lifting, but as you are starting into it right away do pay attention to your energy levels (daily activity can drop to compensate). Lifting can be very draining so make sure your sleeping well and eating enough as you raise your calories to maintenance.

I would love it if you came back and reported on your first week and how your trainer has set up your programme. :)

Cheers, h.

Thank you for all of the insight. I plan to do 3-4 days of lifting, not a full 5 days b/c that would be excessive for me. The days all depend on my work schedule. Some weeks I don't have to work evenings, in addition to my 9-5, and some weeks I have to work 2-3 evenings.

For example: this week I worked Tuesday evening & I will be working this evening, so those are days where I can't get a traditional workout in b/c I wouldn't have the energy to complete my day. I don't count it as a complete lost, just as an active rest day b/c it's a lot of stairs and walking.

Ideally, I'd like to lift Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays. But I believe that Strong Curves is a 4 day a week program, so depending on my pole schedule, I'd have to fit it in on Tuesday or Friday, b/c pole is always Wednesday. Right now, I have to do it 2-3 times a week b/c I'm training for a performance at the end of the month, but once that's complete I can knock it back to once a week, until I find a good and happy balance between it and lifting. Sundays are always a no go b/c I visit my grandparents on Sundays.

I will also make sure that I do get plenty of rest and calories to support my workouts. Thanks again!
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Just want to add that Strong Curves is designed as 4x per week. It's a great group of programs. I did the beginner one and am currently starting on the Glute only program before trying the Advanced program. I really think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the insight and feedback on the program. I really am excited to do the program. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Thanks for the insight and feedback on the program. I really am excited to do the program. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it.

I had to modify a few things as I do all my lifting at home vs the gym. So there are a few exercises that I can't do as I don't have a cable system at home. Luckily the book has an awesome index so it's fairly easy to sub out another exercise in the same category :)

I went with 30p 30f and 40c breakdown (percentages) nutrition wise. My sedentary maintenance is 1790 but according to fitbit (which I've found about 90-95% accurate for me) my calories usually work out to 2000ish most days up to 2400 on heavy workout days.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

I had to modify a few things as I do all my lifting at home vs the gym. So there are a few exercises that I can't do as I don't have a cable system at home. Luckily the book has an awesome index so it's fairly easy to sub out another exercise in the same category :)

I went with 30p 30f and 40c breakdown (percentages) nutrition wise. My sedentary maintenance is 1790 but according to fitbit (which I've found about 90-95% accurate for me) my calories usually work out to 2000ish most days up to 2400 on heavy workout days.

Thank you for that info. It's really helpful.
  • Macpui85
    Macpui85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to truly see results? I've been trying recomp for about 2 months; I've actually gained weight, while loosing waist size. However, there is minimum change on my appearance as far as belly fat goes.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Macpui85 wrote: »
    How long does it take to truly see results? I've been trying recomp for about 2 months; I've actually gained weight, while loosing waist size. However, there is minimum change on my appearance as far as belly fat goes.

Gained how much in two months? You shouldn't be gaining weight in recomposition, so anything more than 2 pounds per month means your calorie intake is too high.

Recomp takes a long time usually. It depends on your starting weight and body fat percentage. If you had fairly low body fat to begin with you could possibly see results in 3-6 months. If your body fat was in the mid to higher 20's it could take a few years.
  • Macpui85
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Gained how much in two months? You shouldn't be gaining weight in recomposition, so anything more than 2 pounds per month means your calorie intake is too high.

Recomp takes a long time usually. It depends on your starting weight and body fat percentage. If you had fairly low body fat to begin with you could possibly see results in 3-6 months. If your body fat was in the mid to higher 20's it could take a few years.

Am actually eating under my daily caloric requirements. I am 162 cm in height and was at 161 lbs of weight. Went on a strict diet and heavy hiit and dropped to 145 in about 2.5 months. I decided to stay at that level and took on weight lifting. I weighted myself almost a month ago, reaching 151 lbs. My caloric intake is supposed to be 2510c but I normally consume between 1800c and 1900c (50p, 25c, 25f).

Needless to say I'm a little confused about this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Am actually eating under my daily caloric requirements. I am 162 cm in height and was at 161 lbs of weight. Went on a strict diet and heavy hiit and dropped to 145 in about 2.5 months. I decided to stay at that level and took on weight lifting. I weighted myself almost a month ago, reaching 151 lbs. My caloric intake is supposed to be 2510c but I normally consume between 1800c and 1900c (50p, 25c, 25f).

If you are only weighing yourself every month or so then you have no real data to judge if you are maintaining, losing or gaining weight.
    I went up and down 6lbs last week so if I only weighed at the high of low points I would have a totally different belief of what my weight trend actually is.
    Suggest you start gathering data if you are impatient to gauge progress (weight, tape measure, photos....).

If your numbers are accurate then that's a big deficit when trying to recomp.
    My results are no doubt unique to me and my circumstances at that particular time but for perspective I slightly lost lean mass at 1lb/week (-500 cals a day average) deficit and could gain LBM at 1lb/month deficit. (c. -120 cals a day average).
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I feel like belly fat is always the very last to go. Hard to be patient, but I think this is what most people aren't happy with. If you are doing everything right, it will tighten up. It just takes time.
  • Macpui85
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you are only weighing yourself every month or so then you have no real data to judge if you are maintaining, losing or gaining weight.
    I went up and down 6lbs last week so if I only weighed at the high of low points I would have a totally different belief of what my weight trend actually is.
    Suggest you start gathering data if you are impatient to gauge progress (weight, tape measure, photos....).

If your numbers are accurate then that's a big deficit when trying to recomp.
    My results are no doubt unique to me and my circumstances at that particular time but for perspective I slightly lost lean mass at 1lb/week (-500 cals a day average) deficit and could gain LBM at 1lb/month deficit. (c. -120 cals a day average).

Decided to take care of that. Weighted myself today... Currently at 152 lbs.
  • Macpui85
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I feel like belly fat is always the very last to go. Hard to be patient, but I think this is what most people aren't happy with. If you are doing everything right, it will tighten up. It just takes time.

I am aware of that, and I am impatient. However, I wanted to get an estimate. Will it be months? A year? More? My guess is a year...
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »

I am aware of that, and I am impatient. However, I wanted to get an estimate. Will it be months? A year? More? My guess is a year...

In my case my stomach goes first and my thighs and hips take the longest. It blows but it is genetics for that. All you can do is slowly work on it and eventually there won't be any other fat for your body to burn.