Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/oct/21/almond-milk-quite-good-for-you-very-bad-for-the-planet

Ah, so you are saying people shouldn't eat almonds.

You realize that has nothing to do with the processing nonsense, right?

(As for the processing, if you are incapable of realizing that nutmilks are easy to make at home can't help you. If you want to discuss specific ingredients -- which aren't going to be in all store-bought nutmilks, I would imagine -- why not post something credible about that ingredient for discussion. Mass linking isn't discussion, especially given the scattershot approach.)
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
    http://markitonutrition.com/warning-harmful-chemicals-in-almond-milk/

Do you have anything from the actual scientific community because these are all just blogs that fear monger?

The websites that you are quoting are from people who aren't scientist let along even educated in the field. Neither has a degree in anything science.

do you?! you'll find an additive Carrageenan in them and this is under review for links to bowel cancer and other digestive issues https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    this is even in the organic brands
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

Do you have anything from the actual scientific community because these are all just blogs that fear monger?

The websites that you are quoting are from people who aren't scientist let along even educated in the field. Neither has a degree in anything science.

do you?! you'll find an additive Carrageenan in them and this is under review for links to bowel cancer and other digestive issues https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467586

Dietary CGN [Carrageenan] has been shown to lack carcinogenic, tumor promoter, genotoxic, developmental, and reproductive effects in animal studies. CGN in infant formula has been shown to be safe in infant baboons and in an epidemiology study on human infants at current use levels

Also, you should understand that many brands are removing carrageenan from their products mainly over perceptions like yours. Even if science say something safe, companies will alter products based on what is profitable. It's why many are removing HFCS, aspartame, and much mure.

Isn't carageenan a natural product made from seaweed? How is this harmful?

FayeC, if you are really that terrified, you can make almond milk at home by putting almonds and water in a blender, then straining the mixture through a cloth. It's not magic. That's how you make hazelnut milk for hazelnut gelato too; toast hazelnuts, chop and blend with water, strain. Mix with cream and sugar and freeze. Yum.

Everything you buy in a shelf-stable box is quite likely more processed than the home version, but there is nothing inherently processed about nut milks, they are just nuts and water, blended and strained.

You are correct, it's derived from red seaweed.
  • HolisticN
    HolisticN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink raw milk, very healthy but has the usual milk sugar count which has to be accounted for.
  • leighsnow
    leighsnow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what mari5466 shared and for all the same reasons... except I use unsweetened vanilla almond (or cashew or a blend of coconut milk) in my cereal and just whole milk for coffee and tea. The nut milks are low cal and add great flavor in smoothies and cereal but prefer the full flavor for hot drinks.
  • leighsnow
    leighsnow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One note about soy milk, it can cause toxicity for people with thyroid conditions. Many moons ago I got on a soy milk kick after a visit to New Zealand where I became a 'Flat White' coffee addict. Using soy milk in my latte was the closest thing I could find to emulate the flavor and I started feeling run down and started gaining weight. To energize myself I would drink more and more lattes until I put the two together. Stopping the soy stopped the problem.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How would one estimate calories in home made almond milk with nothing else added?

I'd take the whole calories of the almonds, even if that's sort of an overestimation, as I think most of the fat comes into the milk (that's why it tastes good) and most of what's left behind is the fiber. Calories in almonds = the calories in the almond milk, then divide into servings.
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    EcmoMom22 wrote: »
    I've always drank 2% because that's what my parents bought and once I moved out I just continued to purchase the same thing but now that I'm "dieting" I would like to know what's considered the healthiest milk. Skim? Non-fat? 1%? Etc.

1%fairlife taste good. Low fat low carbs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How would one estimate calories in home made almond milk with nothing else added?

I'd take the whole calories of the almonds, even if that's sort of an overestimation, as I think most of the fat comes into the milk (that's why it tastes good) and most of what's left behind is the fiber. Calories in almonds = the calories in the almond milk, then divide into servings.

I've looked a bit for an estimate. With the store-bought stuff there seems to be a lot of the fat that doesn't go in, but maybe it's just the amount of water to nut. It's one reason I like cashew milk for my homemade option, because the way I make it you just include all the cashews. (Also, super easy.) Higher cal than the store-bought stuff, though.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I might be biased but whatever milk has the lowest amount of sugar. Raw milk is the absolute best, but not a lot of states allow it to be sold. It has all the beneficial bacteria in it that is REALLY good for your gut health. It's loaded with vitamins and minerals.

https://draxe.com/raw-milk-benefits/

Next best might be whole milk with no added sweeteners or sugars, at least you're getting some fat out of it that will help curb your appetite.

I use almond milk because it's low carb and it has lots of calcium.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".

really.....

Fearmongering blog posts.
    Not a reputable source in sight.

*golf clap*
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is my favorite, but whole milk when it comes to dairy. I don't consume dairy, but a milk with a percentage grosses me the eff out. What's the other 98% or 99%. Nasty.
  • anjajacobs10
    anjajacobs10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally use unsweetened almond milk if I need a little extra creaminess in my breakfast shakes. Almond Breeze is just 30 calories per 8oz serving, 2.5g fat, 2g carbs (0 sugar), and 1g protein. When added to a protein shake, it doesn't add too many extra calories. Regular milk will have higher protein but that also comes with higher calories, fat, and more sugars. It just depends on what you're trying to work towards and what your macro goals are. Everyone is different.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Almond milk is my favorite, but whole milk when it comes to dairy. I don't consume dairy, but a milk with a percentage grosses me the eff out. What's the other 98% or 99%. Nasty.
    The percentage just refers to the percent of milkfat. Whole milk averages 3.7%. 1% and 2% milk is just whole milk with some of the milkfat remove. The other 98-99% is the exact same stuff that's in the other 96.3% of whole milk (water, proteins, sugars).