Healthiest milk?

1235»

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Almond milk is my favorite, but whole milk when it comes to dairy. I don't consume dairy, but a milk with a percentage grosses me the eff out. What's the other 98% or 99%. Nasty.
    The percentage just refers to the percent of milkfat. Whole milk averages 3.7%. 1% and 2% milk is just whole milk with some of the milkfat remove. The other 98-99% is the exact same stuff that's in the other 96.3% of whole milk (water, proteins, sugars).

Ahhh I see.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I hate the texture of milk, regardless of what kind, so I just use water for everything-for my oats, smoothies etc etc. It really doesn't make much of a difference in taste and it saves me a few calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you don't like it then why add it? It is just unnecessary calories! Mix your shakes with water and save 100-500 calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How would one estimate calories in home made almond milk with nothing else added?

I'd take the whole calories of the almonds, even if that's sort of an overestimation, as I think most of the fat comes into the milk (that's why it tastes good) and most of what's left behind is the fiber. Calories in almonds = the calories in the almond milk, then divide into servings.

I've looked a bit for an estimate. With the store-bought stuff there seems to be a lot of the fat that doesn't go in, but maybe it's just the amount of water to nut. It's one reason I like cashew milk for my homemade option, because the way I make it you just include all the cashews. (Also, super easy.) Higher cal than the store-bought stuff, though.

Seriously???!?!?!
    Calories in a cup (140g) of almonds = 830cal
    Calories in 4-5 cups of water = 0

Assuming this will make 4 x 1 cup servings, calories per serving (cup of milk) = ~200cal no way.

A lot of websites I found show calories in home made almond milk at 30-50 / cup with the same ratios of water to nuts. This is nuts if true haha. But ohhhhhhhhhh so much better than store bought :)

Here's a piece about it, but I agree with the commenters that the pulp strained out lacks most of the fat so can't really be subtracted.

http://smallbites.andybellatti.com/you-ask-i-answer-nutritional-content-of-almond-milk/

If you want to lower the calories, just use more water! (I think this is why much of the commercial stuff is so low, it's basically flavored water. The New Barn, which is by far my favorite of the commercial almond milks I've tried is 90 calories per cup (unsweetened, of course). This makes more sense to me than the 30 cal ones.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
    http://markitonutrition.com/warning-harmful-chemicals-in-almond-milk/

Do you have anything from the actual scientific community because these are all just blogs that fear monger?

The websites that you are quoting are from people who aren't scientist let along even educated in the field. Neither has a degree in anything science.

do you?! you'll find an additive Carrageenan in them and this is under review for links to bowel cancer and other digestive issues https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf

If you're worried about carrageenan (which I'm not), you can easily find almond milk without it. Califia Farms (available in many stores in the US) doesn't have it. And you can make your own. So why should someone totally avoid almond milk due to an additive (which isn't proven unsafe) that one can easily avoid?
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    I wouldn't really define 'healthy food' as 'food low in carbs, fats and calories'. I think that's quite a wrong view on what 'healthy' means.

However, I'd stick with vegetable milks - preferably unsweetened and organic.
    - They generally contain less fats and calories than normal milks
    - No pesticide or hormone residues
    - Less effect on your blood-sugar
    - Who knows, you might just be sparing one cow the pain of being mechanically sucked dry for some minutes, standing in their own fecal matter most, if not all, of its life, and later being thrown out as trash when they no longer deliver - but I suppose those are the things that nobody wants to hear about.
    - It will, however, cost you more.
    - If you really want to go for actual milk, I'd try getting fresh milk from a local farm; I consider the store-bought milk an unhealthy option
  • Hemp milk
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I wouldn't really define 'healthy food' as 'food low in carbs, fats and calories'. I think that's quite a wrong view on what 'healthy' means.

- Who knows, you might just be sparing one cow the pain of being mechanically sucked dry for some minutes, standing in their own fecal matter most, if not all, of its life, and later being thrown out as trash when they no longer deliver - but I suppose those are the things that nobody wants to hear about.
    - If you really want to go for actual milk, I'd try getting fresh milk from a local farm; I consider the store-bought milk an unhealthy option

What about purchasing it in a specific location makes a food unhealthy?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    If I'm drinking a glass of milk, I want ice cold whole milk. I don't drink it much though because my stomach doesn't handle it so well.

For my shakes, oatmeal, etc. I use an array of non-dairy milks. One of my favorite choices right now is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk. It is great in coffee with some stevia and I like it to add a chocolate flavor without extra sweetness to protein shakes (most are too sweet for me).

As far as any health/nutritional benefits (calcium, vitamin D, etc.), there are a abundance of other sources to get these nutrients.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016

Most of the time if you ask someone what they mean by 'healthy' on these boards, they can't really explain what they're looking for. I'm not sure, then, why those things would be a wrong view, especially in terms of weight loss. 'Healthy' really is kind of meaningless.

For the record, though, I also tend to prefer the local/farm purchased options myself, as I notice the flavor and quality is better, not unlike buying local vegetables in season. Doesn't necessarily mean that the store versions are unhealthy.