why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't give you any lasting fullness for the calories.

It does for me. *shrug*

Same here. A cup of marshmallows (150 calories) fills me up better than 1/4 cup of pecans (200 calories). Not to mention looking at the amount of pecans for these calories makes me sad.

Wow. We have stunningly different experiences.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

It does for me. *shrug*

^Doesn't fill me up, but it makes me happy to have a piece of candy, plus I fit it into my calories for the day, and allow for daily sweets.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »

Robert Lustig has been on record saying things that even a high school student who never paid attention in Biology would know are factually wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QXFJNKWXs

Weird video, it first shows the actual facts and then the crap Lustig talks.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

It does for me. *shrug*

^Doesn't fill me up, but it makes me happy to have a piece of candy, plus I fit it into my calories for the day, and allow for daily sweets.

Agreed on the "makes me happy" part, and I do still have sweetness daily, but just a fraction of what I used to have.

@amusedmonkey your comments about the psychological aspects of fullness are interesting. I certainly have very positive associations, going back to childhood, with desserts. I also think sugar and starches can help me feel satisfied immediately after eating in a way that other foods may not.

But I also have some fairly negative associations with sugar. Your example of a cupful of marshmallows brings me back to unhappy times in my life. That's exactly the kind of comforting snack I used to have, although I didn't consume reasonable quantities. It's hard (perhaps impossible) for me to see a cupful of marshmallows as a normal healthy snack. Psychologically first, but it's a rare day I can afford a snack that has no fibre and no nutrients.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Because it hits the same brain receptors as cocaine, thus we want more and more.

1) you ruined my pig gifs by sneaking in the middle
    2) don't be silly you're equating food which possibly has behavioural addictive properties in some individuals with drugs which are physically addictive through the anticipatory dopamine release that you also get through petting puppies...or pigs

everyone is so quick to jump on a post it was a freaking joke, sarcasm

I personally love to be silly life is too short not to be.

As a side point rats did go for sugar more than cocaine:).

Yes, while being starved they chose the substance that actually had calories. Shocking.

I didn't know they were starved, the study was something I heard a few years ago but never read the study myself.
    I personally know an addict that choses his drugs over food - maybe all don't idk.

The rats weren't cocaine addicts or sugar addicts. They had two choices for "food". Sugar water or cocaine water. They chose the substance that would keep them alive. Not really all that shocking.

If you are stranded on an island, and I'm assuming you aren't addicted to cocaine, and I give you the option of hohos or snorting coke, which are you going with?

I personally don't like hoho's and I've never tried cocaine and I do live on an island, thankfully with lots of options.

But seriously dude it was a joke. No need to prove anything to me I don't really care in terms of proving anything. I'm mildly interested in addiction as I have a distant family member who is severely addicted.

I will work on my humor.

Just know that when this occurs and people correct someone's incorrect assumptions (whether the original intent was a humourous one or not) it is being done as much for the people who are here to lurk and learn as it is for the person who actually posted it. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

You mean sugar doesn't give you lasting fullness. It does for me...
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs/sugars make you fat on their own. I do know that my body does not do well with high carb intakes, especially the ones suggested by MFP. My sedentary lifestyle (do to work) simply doesn't give me a lot of opportunities to burn away that excess. Sure, it'll be converted to glycogen and stored in my muscle tissue, but everyday consumption won't allow it to be used and so it will be converted into adipose tissue. I think that I'm at a place where I burn exactly what I consume, but am not in a deficit. I tried low calorie, low calorie with running, and nothing worked but a low carb lifestyle. I don't believe we were built to consume carbs in the quantities in which we do or that are recommended for us. How else can you explain how quickly low carb/sugar lifestyles lower LDL, raise HDL, and is so efficient at removing fat directly.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Robert Lustig has been on record saying things that even a high school student who never paid attention in Biology would know are factually wrong.

Not sure what the writing was about..doesnt mirror him and not gonna pay attention to youtube as not a good source. What caused the obesity rise in our two nations if it wasnt sugar or junk food? Did everyone just suddenly over eat? Asking your opinion mate not being confrontational

The text says the exact thing he says in the recordings.
    He's also been on record calling Fructose a poison.

And yes people did start overeating, you know first time ever in history of mankind where everyone can have an overabundance of food and all that.
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Not sure what the writing was about..doesnt mirror him and not gonna pay attention to youtube as not a good source. What caused the obesity rise in our two nations if it wasnt sugar or junk food? Did everyone just suddenly over eat? Asking your opinion mate not being confrontational

IMO, excess calories and a shortage of activity...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Agreed. As well as easier access to all sorts of foods as @amusedmonkey mentioned. It also wasn't a sudden thing, this type of change takes years for the effects to start to show.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

Agreed. As well as easier access to all sorts of foods as @amusedmonkey mentioned. It also wasn't a sudden thing, this type of change takes years for the effects to start to show.

Yep. Easier access equates to excess calories and a shortage of activity. We have the access to just about any food we want, in any amount and we don't have to expend any significant energy to acquire it...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Neither does a protein shake or pure coconut oil.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs/sugars make you fat on their own. I do know that my body does not do well with high carb intakes, especially the ones suggested by MFP. My sedentary lifestyle (do to work) simply doesn't give me a lot of opportunities to burn away that excess. Sure, it'll be converted to glycogen and stored in my muscle tissue, but everyday consumption won't allow it to be used and so it will be converted into adipose tissue. I think that I'm at a place where I burn exactly what I consume, but am not in a deficit. I tried low calorie, low calorie with running, and nothing worked but a low carb lifestyle. I don't believe we were built to consume carbs in the quantities in which we do or that are recommended for us. How else can you explain how quickly low carb/sugar lifestyles lower LDL, raise HDL, and is so efficient at removing fat directly.

It takes a lot to convert carbs to fat in reality but it does cause more fat to be stored as fat just as taking in too much fat causes more fat to be stored. The fact is, we aren't designed to eat as much as we tend to because we are in a food rich environment that has foods with that were modified throughout our history to be more calorically dense. If you look at high carb diets you see the exact same thing as low carb diets, a fast drop in LDL, raise in HDL and increase in insulin insensitivity and drop in fat stores. So how you get their just doesn't matter but if you prefer low carb then go for it but that doesn't mean it's special.
  • J72FIT
    Options

It takes a lot to convert carbs to fat in reality but it does cause more fat to be stored as fat just as taking in too much fat causes more fat to be stored. The fact is, we aren't designed to eat as much as we tend to because we are in a food rich environment that has foods with that were modified throughout our history to be more calorically dense. If you look at high carb diets you see the exact same thing as low carb diets, a fast drop in LDL, raise in HDL and increase in insulin insensitivity and drop in fat stores. So how you get their just doesn't matter but if you prefer low carb then go for it but that doesn't mean it's special.

The problem is that low carb diets do not spike insulin. Carbs do. There is a vast difference between the two. I'm not just low-carbing, I'm moving my body into a state of ketosis, specifically. So there is something special about it, but if I over eat, I'm still subject to weight gain. The high fat content of my diet keeps me satiated and my liver makes the ketones that the rest of my body uses for energy. Excess is disposed of. The high fat also allows me to eat at a caloric deficit because I'm rarely hungry and even if I am, the cravings aren't nearly as strong as they were on the high carb diets so I eat less almost by default. It's a win/win all the way around. Yes, it's still calories in vs/calories out, but I much rather my body be conditioned for using ketones and fat for ALL of it's energy needs versus carbs. For the way I do things, it makes a hell of a lot of sense and the way my body has responded seems like magic. Way more energy, more mental focus, even my little knee issue seems to have disappeared. Again, I'm not speaking for everyone, just myself. So yes, it is special, but only if you do it the right way. Honestly, I even eat healthier because I'm more aware of things like vitamins, leafy greens, etc.

Sounds like you found your way, bravo!