why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Low fat or low carb, if you lost weight CI<CO...
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For the record, I haven't lost weight overall since I have been on here, but I haven't focused on it enough. I enjoy learning about nutrition as a hobby, and like discussing it in a non-negative matter. I am a bit of a contrarian but I also enjoy learning new things. I generally don't respond to irrational people (you know, those ones that just say "thats stupid," or "just no."). They provide nothing to the conversation. I may be wrong, but I am not going to insult you for being wrong as well. I will simply provide my take. Generally, though, my takes are not taken well. And I am okay with that. You just don't understand things like I do, and that is not right or wrong...it just is. But the more we can provide logical information, the more people understand. We can't call it bad information simply because it is more complicated than the stereotypical phrases and the common person doesn't understand it. Every moment, we are losing and gaining weight. Energy storage and exhaustion is fluid, not staged. What we eat can dictate (to certain levels) how much we eat. Overweight people struggle more with this than ideal weight people, so the more they can be helped, the better it is for society as a whole.

That is all I am trying to do here.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    oy vey. Have a nice day, folks.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I reduce foods, especially processed foods, to their macro carb content because that is what is being scientifically proven to cause the obesity epidemic, not the fat.
    No...
    "We" took the fat out of foods in the 80s, made everything low fat/high carb and obesity, heart disease, and diabetes have skyrocketed--globally.
    Yes, the fat was taken out and the calories were put right back in the form of sugar. People psychologically saw "low fat" and proceeded to overeat. You'll see the same effect with low carb, give it time.

CICO...
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean OP!!!

Well, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents here seeing as I've not read all the posts.....but from what i'm reading and researching, the body burns sugar first before fat. So if you are ingesting things high in sugar, the body sends out insulin to burn the new glucose that you just ate (ever wonder why you feel sluggish in the afternoon after a sizeable meal especially if it included refined carbs.) Glucose is the preferred source of energy so it totally ignores the fat until the excess glucose stores are used up. If you eat more sugar than what your body needs it converts it to fat, esp around the abdomen. I'm sure the posters here will either agree or not, but I'm gonna do my own research on this here body.

So, I personally reduced my sugar intake, not perfectly but decidely a good bit. Sodium too. Now, my cravings have reduced greatly, and if I do eat something with too much sugar...I gag, and can't eat another bite. Good enough result for me right there.

I've also been reading up on Intermittent Fasting (IF), just today as a matter of fact. I'm going to give it a chance for the remainder of this month. I've booked mark this post so I'll respond here or pm you if I find it made a difference.

Now, I'm going to take my time and read all of the wonderful posts here to see if I can glean additional information for my research...carry on.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sugar does not make us fat - excess calories make us fat.

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers.

So does fatty beef or high levels of oils...so?

Fats have actually been shown to take longer to digest and increase that time between meals due to the non-release of grehlin, if the nutrition is appropriate. When combined with carbs (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs), the effects are reduced.

Lipids cannot be utilized by the red blood cells for energy. They require glucose. Therefore, the body must do more to convert them into ready energy the cells can use. This process slows the digestive process, which slows down hunger levels.

I can go 8-10 hours on eggs and butter, whereas I couldn't even come close to that eating cereal.

And I go 16 hours fasted every day on 400 grams of carbs per day. A lot of that being sugar. Satiety varies by person.

Do you eat one or two meals per day? I am genuinely curious. What do you eat to go 16 hours fasted?

I eat 1 full meal around 7 and dessert after usually. I graze and snack from 12pm till dinner. Roughly 4000 calories at the moment. I try to get around 175-200 grams of protein and 75-100 grams of fat and a minimum of 250 grams of carbs. I fill in the rest with whatever.

If you are snacking, you are not fasting. I am not sure what you mean by "fasted." Also, you are bulking, correct?

I eat between 12 and 8pm. That leaves a 16 hour window.

And I'm not really bulking, no. At least not purposefully.

Everyone fasts around and within sleep times :-) regardless of diet.

Of course, but when the IFers talk about fasting, and 20-4 or 16-8 or whatever, they include the sleep time in the fast and usually mean skipping a meal in the morning or evening or otherwise compressing eating hours.

I'm not sure why fasting (or IF) is currently a topic? Obviously it would be hard to fast for 16 waking hours and sleep, say, 7, and get in enough calories in that one hour, although some probably do.
    I have breakfast at 8, and I don't have to eat again until 4 or 5. I do not become hungry or get the shakes.

Why would you? I eat at 6, 12, and 9 or 10 most days, and generally don't get the shakes or whatever between lunch and dinner (and would find it really weird if I did). I don't do IF, since my longest time without eating is 9-10 hours, although I've thought of trying it (I can skip breakfast without an issue, eating dinner earlier might be a trick). The form of IF that currently intrigues me more is 5:2. (But this is not about sugar, is it?)

Not sure why you do 1000 calories, but perhaps you have your reasons.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh, looking back, we are talking about IF because of the claim that butter and eggs will hold one for 8-10 hours. Not me. I usually have no problem adhering to any eating schedule if I eat reasonably balanced meals, but just eggs and butter and I'd be hungry before lunch.

Eggs work well for me when combined with vegetables and some additional protein -- I love a vegetable omelet with some low fat cottage cheese. But lately I've been obsessed with smoothies (today's was yogurt, protein powder, strawberries, spaghetti squash, a green pepper, and kale -- believe it or not, delicious!) which is quite high sugar, and I skipped lunch (scheduling issues) without being hungry. Satiety is individual.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Eggs and butter would hold me for about an hour.

Now a hard boiled egg and a banana with a cup of tea and half a cup of milk in it? I'm good for hours on that. I have it every day.