why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    Sugar does not make us fat - excess calories make us fat.

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers because of how fast it is metabolized.

That's funny, because I've been losing weight with a calorie deficit while still eating sugar. Sometimes I eat ice cream before bed. Am I a special snowflake?

The answer is no. My body functions in the same way all bodies do.

Overall calorie deficit is what matters. Yes, sugar is great for a burst of energy before a workout. But even if you don't "burn" it right away (i.e., eat ice cream before bed), you're not going to gain weight or store fat if you're in an overall deficit. It all evens out if calories are controlled.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers because of how fast it is metabolized.

That's funny, because I've been losing weight with a calorie deficit while still eating sugar. Sometimes I eat ice cream before bed. Am I a special snowflake?

Overall calorie deficit is what matters. Yes, sugar is great for a burst of energy before a workout. But even if you don't "burn" it right away (i.e., eat ice cream before bed), you're not going to gain weight or store fat if you're in an overall deficit. It all evens out if calories are controlled.

You are missing my point though. Yes, you are in the minority considering most people are overweight and not doing anything about it. If you say "calorie deficit overall," what do you think makes up that "overall"?

In your case, you ate more, and then ate less, and it balanced out into a deficit. That is a sum, and the whole is made up of the sum.

I am not going to defend my claim to people who don't care to understand it yet can just attack it. Think scientifically, please.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For the giggles, I switched sugar on my diary on to see how much I consumed today, apparently I consumed 144 grams of it. Damn them apples!

• jdwils14
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers.

So does fatty beef or high levels of oils...so?

Fats have actually been shown to take longer to digest and increase that time between meals due to the non-release of grehlin, if the nutrition is appropriate. When combined with carbs (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs), the effects are reduced.

Lipids cannot be utilized by the red blood cells for energy. They require glucose. Therefore, the body must do more to convert them into ready energy the cells can use. This process slows the digestive process, which slows down hunger levels.

I can go 8-10 hours on eggs and butter, whereas I couldn't even come close to that eating cereal.

And I go 16 hours fasted every day on 400 grams of carbs per day. A lot of that being sugar. Satiety varies by person.

Do you eat one or two meals per day? I am genuinely curious. What do you eat to go 16 hours fasted?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Fats have actually been shown to take longer to digest and increase that time between meals due to the non-release of grehlin, if the nutrition is appropriate. When combined with carbs (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs), the effects are reduced.

Lipids cannot be utilized by the red blood cells for energy. They require glucose. Therefore, the body must do more to convert them into ready energy the cells can use. This process slows the digestive process, which slows down hunger levels.

I can go 8-10 hours on eggs and butter, whereas I couldn't even come close to that eating cereal.

And I go 16 hours fasted every day on 400 grams of carbs per day. A lot of that being sugar. Satiety varies by person.

Do you eat one or two meals per day? I am genuinely curious. What do you eat to go 16 hours fasted?

I eat 1 full meal around 7 and dessert after usually. I graze and snack from 12pm till dinner. Roughly 4000 calories at the moment. I try to get around 175-200 grams of protein and 75-100 grams of fat and a minimum of 250 grams of carbs. I fill in the rest with whatever.
  • jdwils14
    Options

I eat 1 full meal around 7 and dessert after usually. I graze and snack from 12pm till dinner. Roughly 4000 calories at the moment. I try to get around 175-200 grams of protein and 75-100 grams of fat and a minimum of 250 grams of carbs. I fill in the rest with whatever.

If you are snacking, you are not fasting. I am not sure what you mean by "fasted." Also, you are bulking, correct?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You are missing my point though. Yes, you are in the minority considering most people are overweight and not doing anything about it. If you say "calorie deficit overall," what do you think makes up that "overall"?

In your case, you ate more, and then ate less, and it balanced out into a deficit. That is a sum, and the whole is made up of the sum.

I am not going to defend my claim to people who don't care to understand it yet can just attack it. Think scientifically, please.

Actually, it is more about thinking mathematically than it is about thinking scientifically. This all comes down to an energy balance which is a mathematical equation summarized and simplified as CICO. In order to maintain your weight, your Calories In must equal your Calories Out. When people gain weight, they are in a calorie surplus, their CI > CO, and when they lose weight, they are in a calorie defict, CI < CO.

There are other factors which can have individual impact on the CICO equation, but it really is a fundamental mathematical equation. Focusing on meal timing and subtle complexities of human metabolism is going to complicate the issue far more than is necessary. If people are not losing weight, the only explanation is that they aren't in a calorie deficit, and focusing on reducing total calories is likely to have a far bigger impact than majoring in the minor details you are introducing...
  • jdwils14
    edited October 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Actually, it is more about thinking mathematically than it is about thinking scientifically. This all comes down to an energy balance which is a mathematical equation summarized and simplified as CICO. In order to maintain your weight, your Calories In must equal your Calories Out. When people gain weight, they are in a calorie surplus, their CI > CO, and when they lose weight, they are in a calorie defict, CI < CO.

There are other factors which can have individual impact on the CICO equation, but it really is a fundamental mathematical equation. Focusing on meal timing and subtle complexities of human metabolism is going to complicate the issue far more than is necessary. If people are not losing weight, the only explanation is that they aren't in a calorie deficit, and focusing on reducing total calories is likely to have a far bigger impact than majoring in the minor details you are introducing...

Well sure. I do agree with you. What about the person that has a hard time with the meal timing, or feels they want to eat more because they aren't full. A lot of people come across the problem of: oh shoot, its 4pm and I am out of calories...what do I do? This explanation might help them moderate themselves better through energy expenditure estimation. It might also encourage them to become more active throughout the day, to where they can understand that, although MFP says "I only have 200 calories left, I can eat more because I was more active than the calories I ate. I will be okay." or "I will be more active tomorrow to balance out and still be in a deficit."

In a way, it can be more complex, but it can also be beneficial. I believe understanding the microcosms helps understand the big picture.
  • jdwils14
    edited October 2016
    Options

If you are snacking, you are not fasting. I am not sure what you mean by "fasted." Also, you are bulking, correct?

I eat between 12 and 8pm. That leaves a 16 hour window.

And I'm not really bulking, no. At least not purposefully.

Everyone fasts around and within sleep times :-) regardless of diet. I am talking about waking hours. I have breakfast at 8, and I don't have to eat again until 4 or 5. I do not become hungry or get the shakes. No snack, no drink. While I consume about 1000 calories, I burn just as much in that span. The same thing cannot be said for sleeping hours, however 2-3 of the hours before sleep are satiated by dinner, and the 2-3 hours after sleep (adjust for sleep times) are moderated by the fact that the digestive system mostly slows down during sleep, and takes a while to get back started again.

edited: shut down was too extreme. It does slow down though.