why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I know what you mean OP!!!

Well, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents here seeing as I've not read all the posts.....but from what i'm reading and researching, the body burns sugar first before fat. So if you are ingesting things high in sugar, the body sends out insulin to burn the new glucose that you just ate (ever wonder why you feel sluggish in the afternoon after a sizeable meal especially if it included refined carbs.) Glucose is the preferred source of energy so it totally ignores the fat until the excess glucose stores are used up. If you eat more sugar than what your body needs it converts it to fat, esp around the abdomen. I'm sure the posters here will either agree or not, but I'm gonna do my own research on this here body.

So, I personally reduced my sugar intake, not perfectly but decidely a good bit. Sodium too. Now, my cravings have reduced greatly, and if I do eat something with too much sugar...I gag, and can't eat another bite. Good enough result for me right there.

I've also been reading up on Intermittent Fasting (IF), just today as a matter of fact. I'm going to give it a chance for the remainder of this month. I've booked mark this post so I'll respond here or pm you if I find it made a difference.

Now, I'm going to take my time and read all of the wonderful posts here to see if I can glean additional information for my research...carry on.

There is no queue for your nutrients. Your body will always burn both, and when you're resting even mostly fat, not sugar.
    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Substrates.html
    Extra glucose is rarely if ever turned to fat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

I believe the satiety factor of protein and fat quells the hunger pains. So for the CICO people, this is why there a calorie deficit, most people are good with a few choice meals that are higher in fat. However because less of it gives more satiety, then people eat less.

One Sunday, I had nothing to eat just some coffee and gatotrade for 18 hours (went to bed at 10p Saturday night, having ate all my allowed calories for the day, got up at 10a,) weighed myself as I do each morning and evening , drank a coffee and then helped my mother move her things out of storage. Had two bottles of Gatorade. We had one helper besides me and my mother...lots of lifting and stairs. Got weak then ate some protein, then dinner that night. Come Monday morning the scale read I dropped a little over 3 lbs. So, I'm gonna see if I can replicate this kind of drop. I'll report back.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean OP!!!

Well, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents here seeing as I've not read all the posts.....but from what i'm reading and researching, the body burns sugar first before fat. So if you are ingesting things high in sugar, the body sends out insulin to burn the new glucose that you just ate (ever wonder why you feel sluggish in the afternoon after a sizeable meal especially if it included refined carbs.) Glucose is the preferred source of energy so it totally ignores the fat until the excess glucose stores are used up. If you eat more sugar than what your body needs it converts it to fat, esp around the abdomen. I'm sure the posters here will either agree or not, but I'm gonna do my own research on this here body.

So, I personally reduced my sugar intake, not perfectly but decidely a good bit. Sodium too. Now, my cravings have reduced greatly, and if I do eat something with too much sugar...I gag, and can't eat another bite. Good enough result for me right there.

I've also been reading up on Intermittent Fasting (IF), just today as a matter of fact. I'm going to give it a chance for the remainder of this month. I've booked mark this post so I'll respond here or pm you if I find it made a difference.

Now, I'm going to take my time and read all of the wonderful posts here to see if I can glean additional information for my research...carry on.

There is no queue for your nutrients. Your body will always burn both, and when you're resting even mostly fat, not sugar.
    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Substrates.html
    Extra glucose is rarely if ever turned to fat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

I believe the satiety factor of protein and fat quells the hunger pains. So for the CICO people, this is why there a calorie deficit, most people are good with a few choice meals that are higher in fat. However because less of it gives more satiety, then people eat less.

On Sunday, I had nothing to eat just some coffee and gatotrade for 18 hours (went to be Saturday night at 10, got up at 10a,) weight myself, drank a coffee and helped my mother move her things out of storage. Had two bottles of Gatorade. We had one helper besides me and my...lots of lifting and stairs. Monday morning the scale read I dropped a little over 3 lbs. So, I'm gonna see if I can replicate this kind of drop. I'll report back.

This is not universally true. Satiety is different for everyone.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Makes sense as an argument. So what would you say to the people that say it is due to sugar in the "low fat" foods that took off in the 90's? Also people would argue that US and UK are not the most obese, there are small islands and developing countrys that are most obese and this is not due to overindulgence?
    Again..just asking the question and seeing opinions

Watch the first part of this and see what they are eating;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WskSufX-_wA

Much of their food in Tonga is from New Zealand and mostly overly fatty rejected scraps that they won't eat.

Now did people in the US screw up with the Snackwells? YES! Absolutely, a low fat diet was supposed to be an increase in vegetables not an increase in refined sugars but corporations exploit what they can for the bottom line, unfortunately.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Christ. I posted on here what feels like minutes ago, came back to see if there was another post yet and there have been like 3 pages of posts. Nothing like sugar to get the post-spam flowing huh.

I'd need to up the sugar in my diet just to keep up with this thread.

Really! I am out this isn't a debate LOL.

ETA- I don't even like added sugar or sweets, I am mostly a savory girl and that's how I got fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    jdwils14 wrote: »
    Sugar does not make us fat - excess calories make us fat.

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers.

So does fatty beef or high levels of oils...so?

Fats have actually been shown to take longer to digest and increase that time between meals due to the non-release of grehlin, if the nutrition is appropriate. When combined with carbs (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs), the effects are reduced.

Lipids cannot be utilized by the red blood cells for energy. They require glucose. Therefore, the body must do more to convert them into ready energy the cells can use. This process slows the digestive process, which slows down hunger levels.

I can go 8-10 hours on eggs and butter, whereas I couldn't even come close to that eating cereal.

Carbs are also less likely to convert to fat. It's an inefficient process and requires more energy to do so. Overfeed studies on de novo lipogensis commonly show this. IIRC, only 10 to 25% of carbs have the ability to convert. Consequently, since fats are lipid, they easily convert to body fat.

As an aside too, my normal weekend breakfast is 5 eggs, onions, peppers, 3oz of ham, spinach, 1/4 cup of cheese, salsa and a side of bacon. I am hungry within 2 hours normally. Now if I replace the bacon with roasted red potatoes, I am golden for at least 3 or 4 hours. Not much longer, but still better.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

...I would argue at the very far end of high calorie relative to nutrition and satisfaction are refined sugars. Things like high fructose corn syrup or table sugar are not filling, not particularly satisfying...

That is why "sugar makes us fat".

Me: "Sugar doesn't give you any lasting fullness for the calories."

Aaron: Insightful, Like, Awesome

Me: Not so much.

Is it my avatar or my delivery style?

I agree completely with Aaron that sugars have a place in nutrition (before a workout as Aaron's example or before/during my tennis match is the example I use frequently), I just didn't realize I had to tack that on to get any credibility.

Whatev's. I'm good. I just thought it was amusing.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

...I would argue at the very far end of high calorie relative to nutrition and satisfaction are refined sugars. Things like high fructose corn syrup or table sugar are not filling, not particularly satisfying...

I agree completely with Aaron that sugars have a place in nutrition (before a workout as Aaron's example or before/during my tennis match is the example I use frequently), I just didn't realize I had to tack that on to get any credibility.

Since you posted about it, I'll answer you: on these boards, "sugar" is often used on here as a synonym for "sweet treat" or "dessert." When people say they're cutting sugar out of their diet, they mean things like cookies, ice cream, and candy. Of course, these are combinations of carbs (not just sugar) and fat, but they're being reduced to "sugar," so that's what I assume people mean when they don't add qualifiers. I do find cookies, ice cream, and some candy filling.

Aaron mentioned specific types of sugar that connote other consumables to me. I don't add table sugar to my tea, it's a waste of calories to me. On the rare occasions I do want sweet tea, I use calorie-free sweetener. Calories from table sugar in a drink don't help to fill me up. HCFS is often added to processed foods to enhance taste, and it's the main component of caloric soft drinks (in the US, at least). Once again, the same level of fullness can be accomplished without the added calories from HCFS. So this really boils down to what "sugar" means to you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I would never based things on how many likes, awesomes, insightfuls you get. For a large part, it's just friends tagging their friends. Trust me, I can see the log of who all did it. And trust me again, I have see some ridiculous post tagged as "liked".

Also, people don't hit my post often since I am a mod. I just laugh.

:laugh: Awesome
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

It's your delivery style and content of prior posts.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Life is like that sometimes... But for me, sugar usually means some sort of fat and carbs and maybe protein if I throw in some protein powder in my baking, that is filling for me. Also I didn't see the other post as I got tired of wading through the responses. :laugh:
  • goldthistime
    Options

Phew! At least it's not my avatar.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Phew! At least it's not my avatar.

Nope, never even looked at it till just now. I thought you were a guy
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I like the message that we shouldn't vilify sugar, just moderate our consumption. But IMO, the message should include an acknowledgement that sugar does have special properties (like instant energy and not filling) that are magnified when consumed in excess.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I always care what you write. Always. Just throwing that out there. No more "Likes" from me.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    But as it was said up thread, what kind of sugar is one talking about? No one just eats plain sugar out the bag it's usually in some form of pastry or such and for some that is filling and a meal.