Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

...although I do think satiety is an important issue, I don't think that's why people overeat sweet treats (and I also think the reason sweet treats aren't satiating for most of us has as much to do with the fat as the sugar, as well as the refined flour in many cases). My pet theory for why people often overeat sweet treats is that they are hedonic eating -- not eating due to hunger at all. Therefore, they add calories ON TOP OF the calories that they would otherwise eat anyway, at meals. This is why cutting back if you eat a lot of sweets is often a good way to cut calories (but when I did this I cut fat as much as sugar, and I cut fat in other places too, so I wouldn't agree at all that fat is more filling than carbs). It's also why if you learn to eat sweets in moderation it's not hard to do -- that's again because it's not about satiety, as you should be eating well enough at meals to be satiated, IMO, if one has a sensible diet.

If one were hungry, there are tons of foods to choose, including foods that people know will fill them up. If someone chooses a cookie and then eats 10, that's not because they were eating for hunger. They are choosing the cookie because they like cookies and eating so many for various other reasons (lack of structure, bad habits, boredom, pleasure/hedonism, on and on). NOT because the hunger is making them -- that just makes no sense to me.

I agree that sweet treats are eaten more for enjoyment and perhaps for their instant energy properties, than to satisfy hunger. But imo, the fact that sugar is less satiating over time is still meaningful.

If my hunger/appetite tends to match my caloric requirements fairly accurately, but on this particular day I eat a large amount of sugar at 3pm to keep me from falling asleep at my desk, will my hunger at dinner time be accurately adjusted? Or will the fact that sugar has less long term satiating abilities mean that I will eat more at dinner time than I should?

I suspect that most people (probably the percentage who are overweight, as there's an argument that we seem to have hit around the cap where the numbers aren't going up more) don't have appetites that are particularly sensitive to calorie requirements, but who knows. (I find it interesting in observing cats that some seem to be and some are not at all. I've had cats who can free feed and my thin cat now clearly goes through hungry periods and non hungry periods. I have another cat who struggles with his weight -- LOL, actually of course he couldn't care less, but we do -- and he will always eat if food is offered, although he clearly does have taste preferences.)

I tend to agree that eating snacky foods outside of meal times increases overall calories if you don't log, but I think this is more because what you eat for dinner tends to be more driven by what you (general you -- you yourself might be different) and habit, not what you eat earlier in the day unless you are eating right before dinner. The snacky stuff doesn't get perceived as a meal, so people don't think they should eat less. (I don't really think how much people eat is as driven by appetite other than maybe at the beginning of the meal as enjoyment and how much is available and seems right to them.)

Anyway, I suspect this is true with basically any snacky stuff, it just so happens that common snacky stuff is a combination of refined carbs and fat.

If you had a meal at 3, would you eat less at dinner at 8? I suspect yes, but that's because eating a meal then is uncommon so you would be more likely to think you already had dinner.

A good example is dessert. A lot of people think "I'm full, can't eat another bite" but then of course have room for dessert, because it's a different food! I suppose you could argue that this is because it's sugary, so not filling, but I go to a lot of restaurants where eating cheese after dinner is common and even do that myself at home, and see the same thing, even though that's basically just fat.

Anyway, I don't think we can really separate out these things, but I tend to be skeptical of the physical hunger arguments just given how many overall calories are consumed on average in the US and think an enormous part of it is just psychological, habit, what seems appropriate to us, enjoyment of eating and desire provoked by food that is present and appealing, stuff like that.

Let me back track a little first. My response about sugar and satiety and lack of nutrients is the premise of my argument that excess sugar consumption can be a major contributor to weight gain. If that premise is thrown out (as it initially seemed to be by people responding), then I can't really continue in the discussion. Or if I wanted to, I'd have to go find research supporting that premise. In my mind, that premise is recognized universally and isn't something I should have to drag out literature to support. Aaron's response heartened me because he said, quite succinctly, what I had expected everyone knew. That sugar gives the least amount of lasting fullness of any kind of food. I probably should have added (as Aaron did) that sugar's ability to give instant energy has importance to the discussion too.

Well, I think everything with satiety is individual (probably because it is mental, at least in part, and also people differ), so I don't think it's possible to prove that sugar is the least satiating food inherently and for all. It depends, and there seem to be people in this discussion who don't find that. Is it on average (like protein is most satiating on average)? I'd predict that would be so, and will also say that for me sugar isn't satiating at all (i.e., would I be less likely to get hungry if I added a bunch of sugar to my coffee instead of drinking it black? no). I also think that the main way people in the US consume lots of sugar on its own (soda) isn't satiating for most people (some do seem to adjust overall calories when consuming more soda, so this goes back to people are different).

My pet peeve is focusing on carbs (this may be something that people have noticed, I dunno) ;-), and so I have to point out that adding fat to the sugar doesn't actually make a food more satiating to me. If I ate cookies between lunch and dinner, would I naturally eat less dinner (if not logging)? No, probably not. Would I be more likely to than if I ate a bunch of hard candy (which I wouldn't do, since I can't imagine consuming lots of calories of straight sugar, it's just not appealing to me)? I don't think so, although I'm kind of curious (not enough to do an experiment and knowing it was an experiment would ruin the results anyway). Would a non sugary junk food (chips) be more likely to be perceived as satiating to me? Again, don't think so, but refined carbs plus fat is all the same anyway, sugar or no.

I don't personally disagree with your statement about satiety, then -- it rings mostly true to me -- but I don't think it's universally true (and for me fat does zero for my hunger, so is no better than sugar -- give me a high carb smoothie or a bulletproof coffee, and I'd bet you a decent amount of money that I'd be hungry sooner after the coffee).
    Your cat example is delightful, because it involves cats :smiley: , and because it shows that obesity can occur in the absence of sugar. At least I think it does. I guess it's possible that someone could show that there are carbs introduced in cat food that break down to sugars. Either way, it demonstrates that there is individual response to free feeding.

This is true -- I actually once thought that getting the carbs out of my cat's diet was the way to prevent overeating (because cats aren't carb eaters and yet lots of commercial cat foods are surprisingly high carb) and my fat cat still will overeat.
    I talked about satiety from just the high sugar component of a big 3pm sugary treat, and you broadened the topic to be the lack of satiating properties in most snacky foods. I read that to mean that sugar is hardly alone in it's poor satiation, and that other factors (psychological and habit) besides the food matter.

I agree with you (and others here) that appetite/satiety is complicated and there can be lots of factors over and above the type of food we eat that enter into the picture. But I don't think that means we can't separate out sugar's role. It's the kind of thing that scientists try to do all the time.

I'm not saying it's impossible in a study (although it's really challenging and I've yet to see it done adequately), but that in discussing this it's pretty much impossible, so the evidence allows for all of our pet theories. For me, environment/structure is far more important than the individual properties of the foods as to whether I overeat or not, so I tend to think that's more relevant. Others may perceive it differently. In the US, all exist (likely non satiating foods, environments that are challenging, a cultural lack of structure), so hard to separate out.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It was a mail-order (er, internet order) thing from a place in Washington state (don't know if they deliver outside the US, though). I expect you could do it yourself with cocoa beans, if you have a source. This is not the same one, but there seem to be a bunch that are similar: http://choffy.com/

Free sample ordered! This stuff sounds amazing.

I love when free samples are actually free, shipping included. :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It was a mail-order (er, internet order) thing from a place in Washington state (don't know if they deliver outside the US, though). I expect you could do it yourself with cocoa beans, if you have a source. This is not the same one, but there seem to be a bunch that are similar: http://choffy.com/

Same here! Thanks for that, @lemurcat12

I can't wait to try it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How are you getting samples? In FAQ it says they don't do it... I want free stuff.
  • Chef_Barbell
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    How are you getting samples? In FAQ it says they don't do it... I want free stuff.

There is a Sample tab at the top of the page.

ETA- Go to shop first... then the sample tab is at the top of the page.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Gracias
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Same here! Thanks for that, @lemurcat12

I can't wait to try it.

I did also, so excited!

Also, on the home page with the scrolling banner, it's the second page of the banner, you can just click it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Gracias

De Nada :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Why you try to switch conversation to fat, Wheelhouse?

You know HFCS isn't a fat, right? Although corn oil is just as big an offender in my opinion. All of those vegetable oils are.

Sugar!!!

This is a sugar thread!

*edit* (oh, fine, add in the HFCS chart and make me look bad again.)

Quick question, do you now where most of the oil comes from? One reason, I put it there to see if people are aware of what is really going on and not just looking at number and lines on a graph. Hint: one of the major reason for obesity hides behind that graph.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Well, I think everything with satiety is individual (probably because it is mental, at least in part, and also people differ), so I don't think it's possible to prove that sugar is the least satiating food inherently and for all. It depends, and there seem to be people in this discussion who don't find that. Is it on average (like protein is most satiating on average)? I'd predict that would be so, and will also say that for me sugar isn't satiating at all (i.e., would I be less likely to get hungry if I added a bunch of sugar to my coffee instead of drinking it black? no). I also think that the main way people in the US consume lots of sugar on its own (soda) isn't satiating for most people (some do seem to adjust overall calories when consuming more soda, so this goes back to people are different).

My pet peeve is focusing on carbs (this may be something that people have noticed, I dunno) ;-), and so I have to point out that adding fat to the sugar doesn't actually make a food more satiating to me. If I ate cookies between lunch and dinner, would I naturally eat less dinner (if not logging)? No, probably not. Would I be more likely to than if I ate a bunch of hard candy (which I wouldn't do, since I can't imagine consuming lots of calories of straight sugar, it's just not appealing to me)? I don't think so, although I'm kind of curious (not enough to do an experiment and knowing it was an experiment would ruin the results anyway). Would a non sugary junk food (chips) be more likely to be perceived as satiating to me? Again, don't think so, but refined carbs plus fat is all the same anyway, sugar or no.

I don't personally disagree with your statement about satiety, then -- it rings mostly true to me -- but I don't think it's universally true (and for me fat does zero for my hunger, so is no better than sugar -- give me a high carb smoothie or a bulletproof coffee, and I'd bet you a decent amount of money that I'd be hungry sooner after the coffee).

I'm not saying it's impossible in a study (although it's really challenging and I've yet to see it done adequately), but that in discussing this it's pretty much impossible, so the evidence allows for all of our pet theories. For me, environment/structure is far more important than the individual properties of the foods as to whether I overeat or not, so I tend to think that's more relevant. Others may perceive it differently. In the US, all exist (likely non satiating foods, environments that are challenging, a cultural lack of structure), so hard to separate out.

I'm opening up more to the idea that there is individuality in satiety when it comes to sugar, and by extension, to carbs. Previously I really thought our disparate viewpoints were about terminology. For instance, when someone says that they feel satiated immediately after eating a stack of pancakes with maple syrup in a way that they don't if they have eggs for breakfast, I would say that we are using the term differently. They are talking about a more immediate experience (where sugar and carbs obviously win out), whereas I'm talking about lasting fullness. Of course, if they say that they are full till lunch for the same calories as an egg breakfast, then we are talking apples and apples. But when they add in that the pancakes are whole wheat then we have added fibre to the discussion, which changes things.

I read somewhere recently about variation among individuals in glycemic response. Maybe I can find it again.

In the meantime, let me offer up something I stumbled upon today while thinking about what I was going to give out for Halloween. It contains an example of scientists ignoring any potential individual response to sugar (as I had).

Added Sugars and Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Children

BACKGROUND: Poor lifestyle behaviors are leading causes of preventable diseases globally. Added sugars contribute to a diet that is energy dense but nutrient poor and increase risk of developing obesity, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, obesity-related cancers, and dental caries.
    METHODS AND RESULTS: For this American Heart Association scientific statement, the writing group reviewed and graded the current scientific evidence for studies examining the cardiovascular health effects of added sugars on children. The available literature was subdivided into 5 broad subareas: effects on blood pressure, lipids, insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and obesity.
    CONCLUSIONS: Associations between added sugars and increased cardiovascular disease risk factors among US children are present at levels far below current consumption levels. Strong evidence supports the association of added sugars with increased cardiovascular disease risk in children through increased energy intake, increased adiposity, and dyslipidemia. The committee found that it is reasonable to recommend that children consume ≤25 g (100 cal or ≈6 teaspoons) of added sugars per day and to avoid added sugars for children <2 years of age. Although added sugars most likely can be safely consumed in low amounts as part of a healthy diet, few children achieve such levels, making this an important public health target.
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2016/08/22/CIR.0000000000000439

ETA: Current sugar consumption levels in children is said to be about 75g per day.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think that sort of thing makes sense on a population level, sure. I think the WHO recommendations do too. I just don't think that means it's about satiety.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I think that sort of thing makes sense on a population level, sure. I think the WHO recommendations do too. I just don't think that means it's about satiety.

If it's not about satiety, what is it? Why are organizations like AHA and WHO suggesting we curtail our sugar consumption? Why the association with adiposity?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

If it's not about satiety, what is it? Why are organizations like AHA and WHO suggesting we curtail our sugar consumption? Why the association with adiposity?

Cutting added sugar is an easy way to cutting calories. It may also be about satiety when in free form (candy, soda, etc..).
  • goldthistime
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Cutting added sugar is an easy way to cutting calories. It may also be about satiety when in free form (candy, soda, etc..).

Cutting any food group is an easy way to cut calories. The AHA didn't come out and say to limit fat consumption in children, or protein consumption. They targeted sugar specifically.

Why is it only about satiety in free form? Why is it not also about satiety in my donut too?

• goldthistime
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PS I'm not married to the idea that the only reason sugar is associated with adiposity is satiety. If a study came out and said something like "each time you over eat sugar you strengthen neural pathways to continue overeating" or something like that, I'd accept it readily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Why?

Cos you take sugar and mix it with carbohydrates and fats to create things like cake and cookies

Because mixed together it makes highly palatable, highly calorific and extremely cheap foods that are easy to grab and go

Because sugar on its own is not the culprit, it's the calories in the products you like to snarfle like a piggy

Thread is circular...requoting myself from page 1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

Cutting any food group is an easy way to cut calories. The AHA didn't come out and say to limit fat consumption in children, or protein consumption. They targeted sugar specifically.

Why is it only about satiety in free form? Why is it not also about satiety in my donut too?

There is still recommendations to limit SFA (this is because USFA have been shown to improve cholesterol), eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean meats. All things that generally don't have higher calories... and there is still question on SFA. The latest studies I have seen say it's not harmful at 15%. But it's also a way to get lots of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options

People overeat those foods because they are highly palatable, and that's not great (the overeating, not the tastiness) because they tend to be high cal and low in nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options

Cutting added sugar results in mostly cutting snack foods and sweetened beverages and also results in cutting fat. (As I keep mentioning, the only sweet treats that interest me a bit tend to be half fat, and I don't think I'm unusual in this.) I happen to think the focus on sugar is a little unbalanced (I doubt chips or fries are more satiating on average), but it's true that sweet tends to be particularly appealing to kids, it's an easy thing to focus on since it is so clearly targeted at snacky stuff/dessert, not foods that could be part of a main meal (as potatoes are, for example, or oils), and reducing sugar probably does affect the palate for some (although I've never had the issue some claim of being unable to taste sweetness in fruits and veg or appreciate non sweet food -- that always seemed weird to me.)

The WHO and Dietary Guidelines and probably the AHA, although I'm less familiar with those, also recommends limiting sat fat, so it's not true that it only focuses on sugar. (Same with the Harvard Nutrition recs.)