October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    fun run this weekend at my local running store. costume contest and pumpkin pancakes. yay.

That sounds great!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Didn't sleep very well so wasn't up to what was supposed to be a 2 x 4km tempo run this morning, and decided to do lunch run instead. Still just didn't feel like I was going to have any speed so decided to get over myself and do some hills instead which I've been avoiding to date. Only set out for 2 laps, but actually felt some sort of sadistic enjoyment so did another lap.

Happy hump day...
    fqbkyykl7qlk.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Great job @dkabambe !
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe, hills are so daunting. I know there will be a few in my 10K next month so I keep adding them to my runs. We have lots of hills in my neighborhood where I run and over time I've gotten slightly faster at running up them and slower at running down them.......LOL

Good job on tackling them!

After yesterday's run my knee was really sore so I iced it off and on several times and now this morning it's fine again. I'm beginning to think it's just an inflammation/swelling issue. I'll give it one more day off and a bit more ice then I'm planning on running again in the morning before the rain sets in! If it's still sore after that I'll take a few more days off from running and just use the elliptical at the gym. I'm determined to be ready for that 10K though so plan to run through the pain if I have to...........it's not that bad and it's not an injury, just old age I think. ;)
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/10: 5.09 km (running and squatting in a cornfield scaring people in my PT job for Halloween season)
    2/10: REST
    3/10: 5.02 km (1/3 interval, 2/3 steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and core)
    4/10: 5.01 km (steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga
    5/10: 5.16 km (minimal progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    6/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and legs)
    7/10: 5.20 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (upper back and core) + 4.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    8/10: 5.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    9/10: REST
    10/10: 10.39 km (general hike and spelunking in a cave)
    11/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    12/10: 5.00 km (mild progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and legs)
    13/10: 4.74 km (steady pace run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and core)
    14/10: 3.50 km (interval treadmill walk/run) + 20 mins yoga
    15/10: REST
    16/10: REST
    17/10: 5.06 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + upper body and core exercises
    18/10: 5.00 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga
    19/10: 5.01 km (steady pace treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + shoulders and core exercises
    20/10: 5.00 km (mild interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + arm exercises
    21/10: 4.04 km (treadmill walk/run) + 20 mins yoga
    22/10: REST
    23/10: REST
    24/10: REST
    25/10: 5.46 km (steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + shoulders and core exercises (Did the Virtual Run this morning!)
    26/10: 4.32 km (interval treadmill walk/run) + 20 mins yoga + arm exercises

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:12:07 / 20K in 2:45:11

Races:

20/10-01/11: Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run (Done on 25/10)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

@lporter229 I didn't know you had a Stella also :) I just ordered a hands-free leash that has a bungee segment too. I'm excited to try it.
    LOL. I figured just about every member of MFP knew I had a Stella by now. Please don't offer me the opportunity to post another photo! Seriously though, she just turned a year old and is a complete bundle of energy. I have had dogs before, but she is my first puppy. So much fun.

Also, you mentioned having Raynaud's. My mother has it very badly and over the last few years, both my brother and I have begun to notice symptoms as well. Yesterday was 50F when I was running and my hands were white and completely numb. Looks like I am going to have to break out the gloves early this year. It definitely gets worse with age :/

@MNLittleFinn -Congrats on your decision to run the full marathon! I have no doubt that you can do this and I really love your enthusiasm. But at the risk of sounding like a preachy know-it-all, I am going to go out on a limb here and caution you against taking on too much with your training. It's great to have a solid plan, but when you enter into the area of 45+ miles per week, every week, burn out is real. Sometimes it's mental fatigue, sometimes it's physical fatigue and sometimes it's those phantom injuries. Just make sure to pay attention to your body and don't be afraid to adjust your plans if you need to. I know you will do well!

The poop talk is cracking me up. You all know by now that I have Crohn's disease. Enough said. There are some stories I will just never tell. LOL. Fortunately, I have only ever had to stop once during a race (well, twice, but it was the same race), so I consider myself pretty lucky.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @dkabambe, hills are so daunting. I know there will be a few in my 10K next month so I keep adding them to my runs. We have lots of hills in my neighborhood where I run and over time I've gotten slightly faster at running up them and slower at running down them.......LOL

Good job on tackling them!

@luluinca Thanks - felt really good. Knowing I can go up a hill definitely opens up a whole new bunch of interesting running routes for me, as well as making it a lot easier to get variety into my workouts. I'm sure I'll suffer tomorrow, but I'll get better if I make it a regular thing.

Anyway, hope the knee settles down and you can get a good run in your 10k.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 it's cool see you documenting the VT runs

It's to keep me in check. For example, on this morning's run (as well as last night's) there was a temptation to rush through that last mile. Knowing that I only have 13 or 14 miles per week to gun it (and I already used 6 yesterday), it enabled me to hold back and wait till Saturday.

I think I want to try what @kristinegift did on her long run, do 6 miles in the middle of my long run where I am alternating between GHMP and GMP.

@Stoshew71 Wave tempo!! It's fun :) I may do that for my speed work session tonight. Haven't decided yet what I wanna do. Doing a race simulation this weekend to prove to myself I can start slow and finish fast.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Didn't check in for a couple of days, because I'm trying to keep my mind of running (stupid tapering!). So now of course I have a lot of posts to catch up... And at least half of them on the lovely topic of poop, how nice :D
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Regarding crappy runs, I've been known to carry TP in a ziploc bag on my long runs before, and always to a race. Thankfully have never had to use it though.
    I've got a ziploced package of tissues in my hydration pack for the same purpose, along with a miniature bottle of hand disinfectant. The latter also come in handy on trail runs for more serious looking cuts and scrapes. Only needed the tissues once during the entire year, but that already made it worth it to drag them along on all those runs. ;)

@Orphia Congratulations! So many great achievements on the last weekend. And how cool that you did it together with a friend you hadn't met since 15 years!

@MNLittleFinn Ha, I knew you would give in to the temptation and sign up for a full for next year! I'm sure you'll manage your HM time goals as a "by-product" during your training for it.

@mmteixeira Thanks for the detailed report on the milestone pod! It sounds much more useful than the gadget I have: I bought a "zoi runteq" sensor at the beginning of this year, but was really disappointed. You can chose to wear it on your chest and get data like "braking", "bounce" and "impact", but not on the foot strike. When worn on the foot, you only get information on the amount of heel/mid/forefoot strike, none of the other data. And I couldn't figure out how to see that data in detail - there just seemed to be an absolute value for a run.
    So I would get the info "27.3% heel, 31.5% middle, 41.2% ball" for one run and "36.4% heel, 32.6% middle, 30.9% ball" for the next, but no way to correlate that with pace, elevation, fatigue or anything. The only conclusion I could draw from that was "either the thing doesn't work or my foot stike is completely mixed". Only used the thing for a few runs, then it went to sleep in a drawer... Maybe I should check if they updated the app in the past couple of runs and it's more useful now, because the kind of stats like you get from your pod would be fun to look at!

@ddmom0811 The marathon is Sunday. As in - THIS SUNDAY!

But I'm actually past the panic-and-freakout point now, I think. I even gave up worrying about what to wear ;)
    That probably sounds like it shouldn't have been a question in the first place, but my most comfortable long running trousers have holes in them. I was worried that if I sew the holes shut, the thread and knots will chafe. So I tried to get the same ones as replacement. All I could read from the label was that they are from Under Armour, size S, "coldgear" and "storm" material, and I know they have side pockets. But I do not the exact model, so I ordered three different "coldgear"+"storm" models...
    Triple fail! One pair I got is completely wrong - doesn't correspond at all to the description on amazon where I bought it (e.g. no pockets at all...). The next pair has pockets, but with zippers; and during my first run in them I found out that the ends of the zippers on the inside(!) of the trousers poke me while I run; and the fabric is slightly different from my old pants and makes noise when the thighs rub together, both things very irritating :# . And the third pair has the right pockets, and is made of the right material, but too short. WTH?! They are the same size as the others, but short enough to leave a gap between my usual socks and the trousers. I seriously debated cutting off the lower leg part of the (light gray) no-pockets pair and sewing that to the (shiny black) too short ones... Yesterday I decided on another solution: I will just wear the ones with holes in them! If it's cold or rainy, I'll already look like an idiot with the hat I use in that kind of weather, grubby jogging pants won't make that (much) worse. :p
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Lporter
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn -Congrats on your decision to run the full marathon! I have no doubt that you can do this and I really love your enthusiasm. But at the risk of sounding like a preachy know-it-all, I am going to go out on a limb here and caution you against taking on too much with your training. It's great to have a solid plan, but when you enter into the area of 45+ miles per week, every week, burn out is real. Sometimes it's mental fatigue, sometimes it's physical fatigue and sometimes it's those phantom injuries. Just make sure to pay attention to your body and don't be afraid to adjust your plans if you need to. I know you will do well!lucky.

That's not preachy at all. This is going to be totally new territory for me. The reason I make a plan is that when I have one, I'm pretty good at cutting back, but sometimes motivation isn't easy if I don't have something telling me approximately what to do. That make sense? Oh yeah, I'll be watching for physical fatigue a lot. I work with kids with severe behavior disabilities, so Running is my escape so, hopefully mental fatigue won't be as much of a problem, but, I'll be conscious of that too. Thanks
  • sohosocialclub
    sohosocialclub Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    345,754 steps thus far in October.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/26 - rest day

@kristinegift and @elise4270 too funny. First Kristine I'm very impressed you could run 5 miles needing to poop. That is some impressive stuff there. Along these lines, after Skip's race Saturday she was so happy and I said how to you feel, her reply "great and I didn't even pee myself - high five Mom!". She probably pee's herself during a run 50% of the time. Her friend pooped during her first race and the girl was winning so everyone saw it running down her leg. She is known as the poop girl. She says she couldn't care less, she PR'd and won and everyone poops. LOL the things runners talk about!

@_nikkiwolf_ and @7lenny7 I started to carry baby wipes in a zip lock in my water bottle bag since the bum can get sore finishing a long run after a potty break.

@HeatherMN I'm like you I can pretty much eat almost anything. Sometimes in the morning I need to make sure nature is finished with me before I got out. Seems my biggest problem is during a trail run, always have to go.

@mbaker566 have fun at the Halloween run. Skip and I were going to run one this weekend too but she is hell bent on making States this year so decided to take Saturday as a rest day since Sectionals are Thursday morning. We might just to preview the course since she fell there earlier this tripping over a tree root. I might preview with a can of orange paint to mark the spot.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    OMG these topics. @skippygirlsmom Wow, I can't imagine being so relaxed about it at that age. Amazing! I peed myself on my first 10K race, a small local one. And I came in last. I felt like everyone could see what I had done when I crossed the finish line. I was so embarrassed. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I obviously over-hydrated. But there were no porta-potties at the start or along the course at all; not sure if that is normal as I haven't done another small local 10K.

Thanks for all of the congratulations and advice, everyone! My legs are almost better today. Going down the stairs this morning finally didn't feel like torture. I'm trying to talk myself into getting to work but I will likely go for a recovery run instead.

Good luck with your race @_nikkiwolf_ ! Sorry you couldn't get the same pants. Wearing the old ones is a perfect solution!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Regarding crappy runs, I've been known to carry TP in a ziploc bag on my long runs before, and always to a race. Thankfully have never had to use it though.

I keep wipies, and individual kleenex packs. Socks work in a pinch, but only if they are cheap. Leaves have had to do. Oh I have IBS, its not exclusive of running. Its life.

@skippygirlsmom WOW! I thought peeing yourself was a "ive had kids" problem. Way to go PR poo girl. Ive seen stories about the elites having the same problem. Can't defy gravity!

@HeatherMN LOL! yes! America runs on Dunkin', I'd have the runs on Dunkin'!

morning BLAH BLAH BLAH,

I'm so tired ya'll-i'm just eatin' and sleepin'. In the AM my right foot is tight and hurts when i walk. I think it's mild tendonitis with an altered gait. I probably need new shoes, but i don't wanna give up my inov8's. I'm so brand picky (with somethings, like mayo).

Yesterdays PT appointment was, like all the other with Sruti, very productive. She had me do 30 seconds on one leg, standing on a foam balance pad, alternating legs for 5 sets. I need a foam pad now. Serious butt work there. I guess with the walking around with crutches and occupied with a phone (pokemon) in hand, i forgot how to use my arms in the walking process. Use arms, no limp. I feel like I'm skiing, but hey! it works.

anyhow i need some advice on the foot. yes i know i asked this before... do you think that i could ride it out in these shoes since its probably gait- and no matter the shoes, my feet have to adjust. I think after yesterdays session, i am almost striking near the same with each foot. I suppose I could go for a more supportive shoes temporarily, and work back to the shoe i want to be in....Sounds like a good palace to start. I love talking to you guys, always helpful. Still if you know what the heck i should be doing with this angry foot...? I'm going to get to the point of running and have to sit out with tendonitis if i dont focus here.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better 
    10/4: Body Pump and 3 more slow miles
    10/5: 3.1 mile run / 1.7 mile Social run/walk through my gym with my kiddo
    10/6: Body Pump
    10/7: Yoga and Tried out my new Foam Roller
    10/8: 14 Miles (6 with Hubby running and Kiddo bicycling)
    10/9: 5 Miles
    10/10: 3 mile trail run with the family
    10/11: 7 minutes of Core, Body Pump, 30 minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/12: 4 Mile run turned into 1.87 after a huge wipeout
    10/13: 3 Mile Walk
    10/14: 3.1 Mile Run
    10/15: 10 Mile Run. Planned to go 12, but my hamstring started acting up around Mile 5. It didn’t hurt bad, but it wasn’t normal, so decided to cut my run short. 
    10/16: 45 Minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/17: 45 Minutes (12 Miles) of Stationary Bike
    10/18: Body Pump and 30 minutes (7.5 miles) on Stationary Bike
    10/19: 60 minutes (15.6 miles) on Stationary Bike
    10/20: 3 Mile Run / It was a chilly 75 degrees with a strong north wind. I didn’t break a sweat at all!! Still had discomfort with the hamstring though. Ugh!!
    10/21: Rest Day
    10/22: 3 mile slow run with the kiddo: still discomfort / 15 minutes row machine, 45 minutes (12 miles) Stationary Bike
    10/23: 5 mile run on Zero Runner – Wish I tried this sooner, but I thought I’d still have pain when bending my knee.
    10/24: 3.1 mile run on Zero Runner / 10 minutes of Row Machine
    10/25: Body Pump and 20 minutes (5.3 miles) on Stationary Bike

77.8 miles of running / 64.4 miles on Stationary Bike – Eliminated goal due to leg pain

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nice XT today today @BeeerRunner
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Body Pump went well last night. I decided to reduce the weight and not go as deep on squats and lunges. Since the Zero Runner is going well, I’m pretty much following my planned training schedule for my marathon in February. I was initially going to go with 6 running days a week, but decided to reduce to 5 with 1 cross training day to ensure I don’t get any more injuries. When I got home from the gym last night, I ran a bit through the house and had absolutely no pain or discomfort, so that was very exciting!! However, the lumps are still there. My knee was still sore in the morning, which is typical, but felt better after my routine of alternating hot water / ice water compresses.

@7lenny7 How long did it take for your Baker’s Cysts to go away? My husband has had them since May or June, but his cysts are huge…like golf balls. Mine are really small…about dime sized.

@Calvin2008Brian Welcome to the group!!

@kristinegift LOL!! I had one of those runs praying I could get to the port o potty before #2 came. My time was very good on that run!! Ha ha!!

@elise4270 Is this a real song or something you made up? If it’s real, can I find it on YouTube? LOL

@RunRachelleRun That is exactly why I’ve decided to always wear black shorts or capris when racing. I was almost going to wear blue shorts with a black tank top for my Half Marathon. Then I remembered my 10K!! I had to make a come from behind push at the end to win Female Master’s and 2nd Overall Female. I was running with all my might, and a wee bit of wee came out. ;)

This is me about to cross the finish line. My son ran out and joined me...LOL!. The woman behind me with the sad face was the one I had to beat to win Masters. We chatted a while after the race. She was super nice. She said she just didn't have anything left in the tank.

w54bgotb4msr.jpg

@MobyCarp That’s great news on 12 minutes of continually running without a break!! So happy for you!

@HonuNui I’ve only been on 2 night dives. The 1st was really scary. It was just our Dive Guide, my husband and I. I felt like something was going to swim up out of the darkness and eat me at any given moment, but I survived. I really didn’t want to do another, but my husband talked me into it on a trip to Cozumel. I’m glad I did. There was a group of about 8 to 10 divers, and I felt much safer. There was more light from the other divers and I didn’t have that fear on that dive.

@OhHim Hope the quad pain eases up for you.

@HeatherMN YES, you have to post that on YouTube!! If you do, send us the link! What an awesome routine! Cats have so much personality, but each cat definitely has their own.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I know you've said it before, but I totally forgot, what plan are you using for marathon training?