Replies

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    I would say pizza is worst. I think one square slice is like 200+ calories on average. And most people eat several slices, so the calories can add up fast. Not many people can eat only one or two slices and walk away, so it's easier to end up binging on. A hamburger can be made with different types of lean meats and lower calorie bread and toppings and you can probably feel full just eating one.

As has been stated many times in this thread, it depends on the pizza and the burger. I'm in St Louis and 1/4 of a traditional meaty pizza is less than 400 cals.
    I would say pizza is worst. I think one square slice is like 200+ calories on average. And most people eat several slices, so the calories can add up fast. Not many people can eat only one or two slices and walk away, so it's easier to end up binging on. A hamburger can be made with different types of lean meats and lower calorie bread and toppings and you can probably feel full just eating one.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, a burger which is deliberately made with lean meat and low calorie bread or topping will be lower calorie than a few slices of regular corner store pizza. BUT, a pizza which is made with lean meat and low calorie crust and toppings will be lower calorie than a regular corner store burger.

You can't hold the two items to two completely separate sets of standards.

Yeah but I'm talking about regular delivery style pizza or frozen. Which is what most people get. Not some evil concoction made up at home with a veggie crust, barely no cheese or meat. I assumed the OP was asking about standard take home or restaurant pizza or burger. Even if the burger is at a take out place I think it's still better than a restaurant pizza. I've looked at a lot of numbers at a lot of places and pizza always seems to be the heavier hitter. It's also harder to control yourself at stopping at only a few slices, unlike with a burger you usually eat one burger cuz that's all you have and your done with it. Obviously there can be some exceptions to this but I tend to think when questions like this are asked on here it's a "generally speaking" sort of question.

I'm just not sure why in your original example that I and @Alaterial75 responded to, you proposed that a hamburger can be customized with different lean meats, lower calorie breads and toppings - making it preferable - yet a pizza has to be the default chain delivery style pizza with meat and cheese. Why do you get to work on making one fit within your goals, but the other has to be some standardized version that doesn't fit?

Also, as has been stated many times in this thread and others, preferences are largely individual when it comes to taste, satiety, etc. Asking general questions like "which is worse" isn't helpful, because for me, I am perfectly capable at stopping at 2 slices of sausage pizza which is less than 600 calories from a chain like Dominos, but you said you are not able to limit yourself to a slice or two. So asking generalized questions when the responses are going to be biased toward individualized preferences just isn't a productive discussion, in my opinion.

Pizza at any place is pretty standard amount of calories. Across the board, You are not going to find a pizza place where slices are less than 200 calories a slice. Burgers are not. A burger at McDonald's may be less calories then a burger at Wendy's and so forth. In either case, most people can stop at one burger and the whole thing might be only 300-400 calories at a minimum. Whereas you just stated two slices of pizza is 600 and, while you can feel full with only two slices, I wager to bet most people can't. The temptation to continue eating more since the remainder of the pizza is still there is very great. Pizza is not a "make you feel full" type of food. If it works for you, good for you. But most people are on here because they don't have that self control with pizza or other certain foods and if given the choice would struggle to only consume them in moderation.
  • kbmh611
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

As has been stated many times in this thread, it depends on the pizza and the burger. I'm in St Louis and 1/4 of a traditional meaty pizza is less than 400 cals.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, a burger which is deliberately made with lean meat and low calorie bread or topping will be lower calorie than a few slices of regular corner store pizza. BUT, a pizza which is made with lean meat and low calorie crust and toppings will be lower calorie than a regular corner store burger.

Yeah but I'm talking about regular delivery style pizza or frozen. Which is what most people get. Not some evil concoction made up at home with a veggie crust, barely no cheese or meat. I assumed the OP was asking about standard take home or restaurant pizza or burger. Even if the burger is at a take out place I think it's still better than a restaurant pizza. I've looked at a lot of numbers at a lot of places and pizza always seems to be the heavier hitter. It's also harder to control yourself at stopping at only a few slices, unlike with a burger you usually eat one burger cuz that's all you have and your done with it. Obviously there can be some exceptions to this but I tend to think when questions like this are asked on here it's a "generally speaking" sort of question.

It's impossible to compare. (Also, I think a lot of people can eat two pieces of pizza.) I usually have burgers I make at home and they are reasonably low cal, but a pizza I make at home is too. I normally eat pizza from local Italian places (so no calorie count, but thin crust, and it all depends on what I choose to eat). We do have it for work lunch sometimes (from local chains) and I can eat about 500-600 calories of it and be satisfied (two slices of thin crust or one slice of the Chicago style, depending on the specific pizza). Or I can go to a restaurant and order a burger, which won't be lean meat, will have a caloric bun, and will be significantly larger than I'd make at home. And, it might have cheese or bacon on it. Many people who'd eat more pizza might get fries with the burger too.

I know plenty of burgers I've splurged on that have a lot more calories than my typical pizza dinner.

So you've eaten 800+ calorie burgers? Also, just because you can stop and feel full at two slices doesn't mean everyone or even most people can. Or else they wouldn't be on here right now dieting and asking these sorts of questions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's impossible to compare. (Also, I think a lot of people can eat two pieces of pizza.) I usually have burgers I make at home and they are reasonably low cal, but a pizza I make at home is too. I normally eat pizza from local Italian places (so no calorie count, but thin crust, and it all depends on what I choose to eat). We do have it for work lunch sometimes (from local chains) and I can eat about 500-600 calories of it and be satisfied (two slices of thin crust or one slice of the Chicago style, depending on the specific pizza). Or I can go to a restaurant and order a burger, which won't be lean meat, will have a caloric bun, and will be significantly larger than I'd make at home. And, it might have cheese or bacon on it. Many people who'd eat more pizza might get fries with the burger too.

I know plenty of burgers I've splurged on that have a lot more calories than my typical pizza dinner.

So you've eaten 800+ calorie burgers? Also, just because you can stop and feel full at two slices doesn't mean everyone or even most people can. Or else they wouldn't be on here right now dieting and asking these sorts of questions.

A burger chain that I picked at random (Red Robin) has lots of burgers that are 1,000 calories or more. I'm sure lots of people have had a burger that is 800+ calories -- it isn't like it is hard to create a calorie-dense sandwich.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

and you based this assumption on what? OP never stated it had to be frozen or restaurant grade..

the answer is that neither is bad and it just depends on what an individuals goals are.

this whole good vs bad food mantra is really getting old...
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes, I have eaten a 1000 calorie burger....

so everyone is on MFP because they over ate on pizza? That is a new one, I did not know that pizza was the main culprit in the obesity epidemic...

• kbmh611
    Options

I'm just not sure why in your original example that I and @Alaterial75 responded to, you proposed that a hamburger can be customized with different lean meats, lower calorie breads and toppings - making it preferable - yet a pizza has to be the default chain delivery style pizza with meat and cheese. Why do you get to work on making one fit within your goals, but the other has to be some standardized version that doesn't fit?

Also, as has been stated many times in this thread and others, preferences are largely individual when it comes to taste, satiety, etc. Asking general questions like "which is worse" isn't helpful, because for me, I am perfectly capable at stopping at 2 slices of sausage pizza which is less than 600 calories from a chain like Dominos, but you said you are not able to limit yourself to a slice or two. So asking generalized questions when the responses are going to be biased toward individualized preferences just isn't a productive discussion, in my opinion.

Also I look at it this way: if you show me a small square of thin crust pizza and say "you can have this one square for 280 calories or you can put that 280 towards the 400 of a burger and have that instead." I'm going to choose the bigger more fulfilling burger that is a meal in itself, over a square or two of pizza that might not get me very far.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Also I look at it this way: if you show me a small square of thin crust pizza and say "you can have this one square for 280 calories or you can put that 280 towards the 400 of a burger and have that instead." I'm going to choose the bigger more fulfilling burger that is a meal in itself, over a square or two of pizza that might not get me very far.

Some people would prefer 280 calories of pizza, some would prefer 280 calories of burger. I'm not sure what this demonstrates other than people have different preferences.
  • ndj1979
    Options

why cant I have 560 calories of pizza.....?

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ordering a thin crust pizza really cuts down on the calories. Because the crust is just a delivery vehicle for what's on top. :)
    I really wish my family liked thin crust. Regarding chains, unless it's Pizza Hut, I prefer thin to thicker crusts. Thick crusts don't add much flavor or give that nice crunch, not worth the calories to me.

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would eat the pizza every time, not because it's any better health-wise, but because I <3 pizza.
  • kbmh611
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

You can, but would it be as filling as putting all those calories to a burger instead of two small squares of pizza?

• janejellyroll
    Options

You can, but would it be as filling as putting all those calories to a burger instead of two small squares of pizza?

Depending on the crust and toppings, 560 calories of pizza could be more than "2 small squares." Why do you assume that a burger would automatically be more filling for everyone?
  • ndj1979
    Options

they both consist of a larger fat macro and fat is pretty satiating...so yes, in fact they would...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    a 400 calorie burger is really not that much ..the hamburger bun is usually about 150 calories, another 50 calories for toppings, and you are left with what, about a four ounce patty...?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Depending on the crust and toppings, 560 calories of pizza could be more than "2 small squares." Why do you assume that a burger would automatically be more filling for everyone?

seriously my homemade thin crust comes in at about 200 a slice, so I can have three slices for 600 calories...
  • kbmh611
    Options

Some people would prefer 280 calories of pizza, some would prefer 280 calories of burger. I'm not sure what this demonstrates other than people have different preferences.

It demonstrates why many people think pizza is bad when on a diet. Moderation is a key to losing weight. But you want to feel full with what you eat so you want to eat something that satisfies you and fulfills you. 280 is a lot of calories for what you get with a pizza square. So you may not be able to have much of it since it's so much per slice. But a burger is more of a meal and more fulfilling. People on a diet, especially those with a lot to lose, have to weigh those options and they may steer clear of the choice that cost them too many calories while also not sustaining them. Obviously there are many different ways of looking at, but I'm just saying because of those factors many people will look at pizza as not the most fulfilling way to spend their calorie allowance.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It demonstrates why many people think pizza is bad when on a diet. Moderation is a key to losing weight. But you want to feel full with what you eat so you want to eat something that satisfies you and fulfills you. 280 is a lot of calories for what you get with a pizza square. So you may not be able to have much of it since it's so much per slice. But a burger is more of a meal and more fulfilling. People on a diet, especially those with a lot to lose, have to weigh those options and they may steer clear of the choice that cost them too many calories while also not sustaining them. Obviously there are many different ways of looking at, but I'm just saying because of those factors many people will look at pizza as not the most fulfilling way to spend their calorie allowance.

A burger is "more of a meal" for you. A burger is "more filling" for you. I personally found pizza to be a great and filling meal when I was in a deficit (and still today). You're talking about very personal and subjective preferences here. Just like I find rice to never be worth the calories when I'm in a deficit, but other people think it is worth it. There is no absolute rule here that will provide an indication of what everyone would prefer.
  • kbmh611
    Options

so everyone is on MFP because they over ate on pizza? That is a new one, I did not know that pizza was the main culprit in the obesity epidemic...

Did I say that? I don't think so. What I said was that if people on MFP had the self control you apparently did they would not need help deciding between burgers, pizza, or anything else. Most people who are overweight are that because they are not good at eating in moderation or making smart food choices. That's why we are now dieting. I include myself in this.
  • janejellyroll
    edited October 2016
    Options

Did I say that? I don't think so. What I said was that if people on MFP had the self control you apparently did they would not need help deciding between burgers, pizza, or anything else. Most people who are overweight are that because they are not good at eating in moderation or making smart food choices. That's why we are now dieting. I include myself in this.

Someone who is unable to eat a moderate and reasonable serving of pizza will probably also struggle to eat a moderate and reasonable serving of burger (assuming they like both foods). Not to mention the fries that are frequently served on the side with burgers.

If someone can't make reasonable food choices or eat in moderation, it doesn't really matter if they are offered a pizza or a burger.