Advice Needed - Marital Issues and Weight Loss

Hey everyone. I'm a long time MFPer who needed a 'throw away' account to ask some questions, as I'd like to remain anonymous for some things.

My husband and I (we'll call him... Bob) have been having marital issues lately - not weight or weight loss related. Now that we're mending fences and things are healing and starting to get better - he tells me he doesn't see why I think I need to lose weight. He says that if he thinks I look perfect that should be all that matters to me. (What about my opinion? Doesn't that matter?) He says that I shouldn't want to lose weight for anyone but him and that no one's opinion should matter but his.

It's not like I'm at a healthy weight already, because I'm definitely not.

For reference, I'm 5'4", 170 or so [fluctuating]. My current goal is 145 (which I upped from 135 when he had an issue with my first goal).

What do ya'll think?

Replies

• No-one else's opinion should matter... including yours? TBH that sounds controlling and/or insecure. If you want to lose weight you do it for yourself, not to please someone else, and if you're not dangerously underweight already you should do what's right for you.

Thank you. That's how I thought it worked - or how I thought it should work. He has had some issues with control - hence the marital issues.

I tell him all the time, it's for my happiness - not to please anyone else or care about their opinion(s). Thanks again!
  • MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    What about my opinion? Doesn't that matter?

Have you asked him these two questions directly? I asked my husband something very similar regarding other issues, things changed when I pointed out that I was not feeling respected. He might think you're losing weight for him, but it needs to be pointed out that it's not always about him. It's wonderful that he likes your body as is, but it's your body and you get to have an opinion on what you do with it.

I have asked him those questions directly - his answer is always "As long as I'm happy with your body, I don't see why you need or want to change it."

@courtneyfabulous & @RoxieDawn - thank you. I've suggested individual and/or marriage counseling - he said "No way. Never going to happen." :disappointed:

I continue on with my weight loss efforts and have lost about 40 lbs since Christmas of 2015. I just don't see why he thinks he needs to be in control of my weight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Does he try to be controlling in other areas of your life?
  • jkal1979 wrote: »
    Does he try to be controlling in other areas of your life?

I would say yes. (He would say no.) That's been the major issue we've had as of late.

It's usually subtle. Getting mad if I do my hair without a "good" reason. Getting mad when I say I want [and should be able to] go and do things with friends and/or family...
  • MeganAM89 wrote: »
    along with what @jkal1979 said, I would ask him why he feels that only his opinion matters.

I feel like it's archaic of him to think that only his opinion of you is what's important. Your opinion of yourself is just as valid as his is. My fiance thinks that I look fantastic but he also understands that while of course I'm working out so that I can look good for him, I'm also working out because I want to look good for me. I've always struggled with self-confidence issues so this is something that's important to me and if I were you I'd be getting angry that he doesn't seem to respect that you're feeling a similar way.

I do get angry about it. Which sparks heated arguments. For a while we were literally arguing non-stop daily.

I think I get what he's thinking, but it still isn't right or okay. I think he thinks that if he 'loves' the way I look, then I should too. Then he proceeds to think that if he 'loves' the way I look, and I am still trying to look better, then it "MUST BE" for someone else. (It's definitely not for anyone else besides ME.) Grr... It's so frustrating.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    What about my opinion? Doesn't that matter?

Have you asked him these two questions directly? I asked my husband something very similar regarding other issues, things changed when I pointed out that I was not feeling respected. He might think you're losing weight for him, but it needs to be pointed out that it's not always about him. It's wonderful that he likes your body as is, but it's your body and you get to have an opinion on what you do with it.

I have asked him those questions directly - his answer is always "As long as I'm happy with your body, I don't see why you need or want to change it."

@courtneyfabulous & @RoxieDawn - thank you. I've suggested individual and/or marriage counseling - he said "No way. Never going to happen." :disappointed:

I continue on with my weight loss efforts and have lost about 40 lbs since Christmas of 2015. I just don't see why he thinks he needs to be in control of my weight.

You know, some men really might not like change all that much. It might not be about control at all, it might be a little insecurity on his part and his way of dealing with it with you.. If this is perhaps the only time he acts like this, then its not control at all..

And secondly men communicate differently, sometimes they get it perfect and sometimes they miss the mark, but never means they mean harm or foul. It comes with many many years in marriage (I have been married 20) so I get it.. LOL

You can always be eating less when he is around. He might not even notice or say anything for quite a while, and when you start losing weight, he can't force it back on you.. LOL it always works out the way its supposed to work out if you know what I mean.. Good luck
  • Shana67 wrote: »
    An example. At times, my husband will say to me as I am getting ready to go out to dinner or something with him, "Honey, I think you look great You don't need to put on makeup/wear special clothes/jewelery." I always, always reply, "Okay, but I'm not getting dressed up for YOU, I'm doing it for ME, because **I** like to feel & look good."

**YOU** are the one who needs to be happy with your body and your appearance, for **YOU**. It sounds like your husband may have some self-esteem/trust issues going on. What do you think?

I've told him exactly that - that I'm doing it for ME. And I've told him that he has trust issues and that he is too controlling. We've been together 10 years [married 6] and only recently has this become as big an issue as it is.

He acts like I'm nuts when I say that he's being controlling. It's just so... ughhh. :(
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    his answer is always "As long as I'm happy with your body, I don't see why you need or want to change it."

This is not meant to be awful.... even though it will sound this way. My 1st husband said that to me ALL of the time about marriage counseling. Clearly, he should have agreed to go with me, as we are now divorced.

And, he doesn't need to be in control of your weight. Be strong and come here for help and encouragement when it gets tough. <3
  • RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You know, some men really might not like change all that much. It might not be about control at all, it might be a little insecurity on his part and his way of dealing with it with you.. If this is perhaps the only time he acts like this, then its not control at all..

And secondly men communicate differently, sometimes they get it perfect and sometimes they miss the mark, but never means they mean harm or foul. It comes with many many years in marriage (I have been married 20) so I get it.. LOL

You can always be eating less when he is around. He might not even notice or say anything for quite a while, and when you start losing weight, he can't force it back on you.. LOL it always works out the way its supposed to work out if you know what I mean.. Good luck

No, I know exactly what you mean - and thank you.

I don't think he's a bad guy at all. I love him dearly. I just think he does have issues with control, self-esteem, trust, insecurity, and all of that.

That's pretty much what I keep doing. When he buys me treats he knows I won't refuse, I bring them to work and ration them out over the week instead of scarfing down all of them at once.
  • Shana67 wrote: »
    This is not meant to be awful.... even though it will sound this way. My 1st husband said that to me ALL of the time about marriage counseling. Clearly, he should have agreed to go with me, as we are now divorced.

And, he doesn't need to be in control of your weight. Be strong and come here for help and encouragement when it gets tough. <3

I appreciate the honesty. Things have been getting slowly a little better between us, but I always wonder when the next big blow out is going to happen. :(
  • MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Can I ask what he looks like? I'm just wondering if maybe this is all based on his own insecurities, especially since you say that this has become more of an issue recently.

He's a little over 6', athletic build, handsome. I don't understand why he has issues with insecurity. He's definitely good looking!
  • _dixiana_ wrote: »
    Um, yeah. This is definitely controlling. And jealous.
    My husband was fine with my body before I lost the 18lbs I wanted to lose. But he was supportive of what I wanted to do because I wasn't comfortable with myself. I also go out with friends regularly because I need to be someone besides "his wife" and "my kids' mom". We are secure in ourselves and each other, that's what's important and it sounds like he's not secure in himself or he wouldn't want to control what you do.

I feel like it's controlling - and unhealthy. Unhealthy for both of us to live with and for the kids to see/hear.

When I said something about going out with friends, he [naturally] assumed I meant out "clubbing" or something and got mad. That is totally NOT what I meant. I meant like one of those paint / wine things or out for dinner with friends. Just OUT, not like to a club. -_-