Miracle Noodles- Shirataki noodles

Options
124»

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    @leejoyce31 I see it's not available right now, but normally the Better Than is $25 for 6 14oz packages, which comes out to $0.29 per ounce. Way cheaper than the other brands on Amazon. The other brands are $0.40-$0.60 per ounce. So unless you go to an Asian market, those noodles are expensive.

Hi. I purchased the better than rice. I noticed this brand has calories. Do you know if they add tofu or something?

I can't answer the tofu question, but even the "original" ones have calories. It's just a low enough amount that it doesn't have to be labeled per serving. The bags I buy have 19-23 calories for the entire 14oz bag. The weights vary a bit. Not that it really matters when it only varies by 4 calories.

True. I think they are less than 5 calories. Thanks for replying
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    I love them. They're my favorite things in the world and are super great if you are good with sauces. I definitely understand people disliking the smell. I just run them under water in a strainer while I prepare a sauce. They're the staple for all of my pasta dishes and ramen dishes. Reminds me of tofu- basically flavorless and requires good spice knowledge. (Technical term there, spice knowledge.)

Which brand do you like
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat them every night. I use the macaroni ones and literally eat mac n' cheese every night with laughing cow cheese, nutritional yeast, and a protein. I'm weird. But it just tastes so good. And I eat two bags....
  • marleymeeko
    marleymeeko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love them.. I put them in canned soup with broth, cilantro and chicken for a low-carb, high volume dinner
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should give them another chance.

I will look at the options available at H Mart (Asian market) this time instead of the teeny selection in my regular grocery store. We are overdue for a hot pot /shabu shabu nite.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yuck I hate these "noodles" I would so much rather use zucchini zoodles
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Gross
    Like eating worms
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat them every night. I use the macaroni ones and literally eat mac n' cheese every night with laughing cow cheese, nutritional yeast, and a protein. I'm weird. But it just tastes so good. And I eat two bags....

I'm thinking about trying the macaroni. I see that House Foods sells them. I'm getting addicted. The rice so yummy with my white bean chicken chili last night. I'm thinking of different foods that I can pair them with.

I know that lots of people say they are only good with Asian inspired dishes, but I have enjoyed them with non-Asian meals so far.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    bigmuney wrote: »
    Gross
    Like eating worms

Lol!
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Let me tell you. They have done wonders for me in the area of digestion.... Don't want to be gross. So they are truly worth it!

I'll try the angel hair pasta today. I love when I find new things to eat. :)
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    @leejoyce31 - the Better Than brand does not have tofu. The pasta kind has 45 calories for a 14 oz bag. I'm thinking the rice might be the same. I think I'm actually going to get the rice so I can add it to my soup. I love my cream of chicken soup, but I think the shirataki rice would just make it a bit more filling.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have an Asian market in my town, I order them online. I get vitacost brand when they are on sale buy one get one 50% off. Yes, probably still a little pricier than at an Asian market, but not more than I would pay in gas to drive to one!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    And I do think they taste fine in a stir fry with yummy sauce. Don't like them much for spaghetti or rice alternative. The texture just isn't right for those dishes. Easy to prepare and eat...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I tried them and the texture was not for me. I bought from amazon and threw most away. I prefer fibergourmet noodles because they have 1/2 the calories, protein and tons of fiber plus they taste like pasta. JMO. =)
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    @leejoyce31 - the Better Than brand does not have tofu. The pasta kind has 45 calories for a 14 oz bag. I'm thinking the rice might be the same. I think I'm actually going to get the rice so I can add it to my soup. I love my cream of chicken soup, but I think the shirataki rice would just make it a bit more filling.

Thanks so much. I looked it up. It has oat fiber which is nondigestible. So the calories are nil. 4 carbs per serving and 4 fiber. Zero net carbs. Zero calories. I'll let you know if I like them. They arrive Monday.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think the rice is soooo much better than the noodles. If you've ever had Israeli (pearled) couscous, it reminds me of that texture. The rice also holds sauce/cheese better than the noodles do, in my opinion. The rice is a lot harder to find in stores for me, though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    bigmuney wrote: »
    Gross
    Like eating worms

I couldn't get over the texture and smell
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    shaybee377 wrote: »
    I think the rice is soooo much better than the noodles. If you've ever had Israeli (pearled) couscous, it reminds me of that texture. The rice also holds sauce/cheese better than the noodles do, in my opinion. The rice is a lot harder to find in stores for me, though.

Too funny. I was about to post that about the rice. I decided that going forth I'll probably only do the rice.