Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• ___sthach
    ___sthach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Super duper against. My dad made me get it once when I was 18 and I got sick for two weeks. I never got it and I try to stick to an all natural diet, also because I love vegetables, but I haven't been sick ever, except the last few months where I started consuming meat again. But now that I am back off of meat, I feel better than ever, and have been out in the cold for hours and still didn't get sick (knock on wood!)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. I used to get them in the past and was always sick after getting them(I know you cant get the flu from the vaccine,but it was something in it my body could not tolerate). the last one I had was in 2004 and I have not had the flu since and only have been sick with a cold once since then,I used to be one that would get every virus out there,especially as a kid
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Got mine today!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    well for... of course. why put your life in any kind of sickness if you do not have to. no brainer really. I think the people that are against are just afraid of needles.

I administer shots to my wife and myself. That blows your theory. :wink:

? Are you saying that you're against them but administer them to yourself and your wife anyway? Not sure how your comment relates to the one you quoted. Or are you saying you are afraid of needles but take the shot anyway, which still wasn't want the quote says? Sorry, just trying to get some clarification.

I'm kind of neutral on them. I have nothing against getting them but am often too lazy to get one. I'll be getting one this year for sure though, as will my husband. I've had one person in the health industry tell me they're pointless, but hey, if it's pointless, then it also doesn't matter if you do or don't get the shot lol. So I guess I'm more for them than against. If they help even some people, I don't really think they'd be pointless.

I don't administer flu shots... there are other things injected with needles. The poster I quoted claimed people against flu shots must just be afraid of needles. I proved that untrue, at least in my case.

Ok, so you're saying you're against the flu shot but not afraid of needles. Lol, I'm thinking the original post might have been a bit vague, but now I get the point you're making. Thanks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I've never had an influenza shot nor do I ever intend to, I haven't had the flu since the year 2001

Thats cool. Just make sure to thank those who do get vaccinated for the fact that you haven't been exposed to it enough to contract it.

yes but the vaccine only covers like 4 strains and they are all the previous years strains. so anyone still can get the flu and pass it on to others.it also takes the vaccine 2 weeks to become effective as well.so in those 2 weeks you can still get those strains.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the flu shot maybe once or twice when i was younger. caught the flu once when i was about 12 but i've been fine ever since so I've never gotten a shot again.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My employer offers a flu shot clinic every year, and they even open it up to our spouses and families. My husband and I always take advantage of it. I was really surprised at how few employees signed up, and that I was the only one who brought a spouse (out of 200+ people). I just hope they don't stop offering it due to lack of interest (and plain old laziness based on my direct co-workers).

My parents are getting older, I often go with them to help with their volunteer work in seniors' homes, and I'm hoping to start doing therapy dog work soon, so it's important for me to be vaccinated. And to be realistic, I'm not getting any younger either. I don't want to come down with a bad case of the flu if I can prevent it.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    if the vaccine could be administered through a qtip in my ear or a sugar cube drizzed with it....I am all over it. Otherwise, forget about it.
This discussion has been closed.