You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    FYI, rat studies don't always transfer to humans.

The current standing on the addictive nature of sugar as a substance is still up in the air as far as science is concerned. Right now, as it stands, research on humans doesn't shows that there's not enough evidence to call it addictive.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6

Furthermore, a review of all the research shows that a lot of the thinking was leaning more towards people like your 700 pound friend having what could be an addiction to eating itself, and that type of addiction would be a behavioral issue like gambling or sex.

It should also be noted that in that review, very few people would qualify for this diagnosis. I'd also think that if a person is truly addicted to eating itself, the type of food wouldn't really matter. Pizza, donuts, or lentil soup... food would be food to them. I doubt that true eating addicts would be as morbidly obese as those you see on TLC shows, but they would still eat uncontrollably of whatever food they could get their hands on.

And no because my 700lb friend doesnt have an addiction to salad or hot dogs. Addiction to fast food or certain foods not to all food. Most people are not addicted to things they dont enjoy in some way.

He's not addicted to those foods. He's got a behavioral problem with food in general.

Were he to have lived in a time before fast food chains, you'd better believe he'd be chowing down on mutton stew if he had the same issue.

You're missing the point I'm making. It's not the food itself. It's the behavior.

Addictions to substances will cause the addicted person to accept a substitute that will do. Alcoholics will drink some unsavory things just to get a buzz. It has nothing to do with enjoyment. Were you friend totally addicted to fast food, he'd eat stuff he hated just to get a fix.

Okay an addiction IS a behavioral problem

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.
    "he committed the theft to finance his drug addiction"
    synonyms: dependency, dependence, habit, problem More

Can food be an addiction?
    Experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food, especially highly palatable foods. Highly palatable foods are foods rich in: Sugar. Fat.

Not eating, food. Specific foods.

Activating the reward centers is what pleasurable things do. That does not an addiction make. If that were the case, we'd all be addicted to petting puppies, stubbing our toes, and hugging our grandparents.

I researched this extensively a while back. You'll have to do a lot more than this to convince me. All the evidence I found pointed to current thinking being that a subset of people might qualify as having a behavioral addiction to eating.

No evidence exists for any food addiction at all.

They're trying to show it, but haven't yet.

It's not about activating, it is about causing them to become dependent.

"Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study."
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28/fatty.foods.brain/

"Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food" Now you can say there's not enough proof all you want, but that doesn't make it possible that it's true. So why not respect someone's life choices instead of pushing them into your own until then? People should not just assume it's impossible to be addicted if their friend specifically says they are. Just respect them enough to watch a movie or hang out and play a game or something instead of going to Burger King and expecting them to go with. Go on your own time.

That's a rat study not a human study.

That's how all studies begin.
    Begin yes but you can't make statements saying it's addictive in humans until they actually complete many studies that indicate it.

Then you can't make a statement saying it's not either. It's called an opinion and I think it's obvious since a lot of people eat food and cry during or after. Obviously they're not enjoying it anymore, but feel like they need it or have a physical urge. If not an addiction, what else is it?
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options

The current standing on the addictive nature of sugar as a substance is still up in the air as far as science is concerned. Right now, as it stands, research on humans doesn't shows that there's not enough evidence to call it addictive.

Furthermore, a review of all the research shows that a lot of the thinking was leaning more towards people like your 700 pound friend having what could be an addiction to eating itself, and that type of addiction would be a behavioral issue like gambling or sex.

It should also be noted that in that review, very few people would qualify for this diagnosis. I'd also think that if a person is truly addicted to eating itself, the type of food wouldn't really matter. Pizza, donuts, or lentil soup... food would be food to them. I doubt that true eating addicts would be as morbidly obese as those you see on TLC shows, but they would still eat uncontrollably of whatever food they could get their hands on.

And no because my 700lb friend doesnt have an addiction to salad or hot dogs. Addiction to fast food or certain foods not to all food. Most people are not addicted to things they dont enjoy in some way.

He's not addicted to those foods. He's got a behavioral problem with food in general.

Were he to have lived in a time before fast food chains, you'd better believe he'd be chowing down on mutton stew if he had the same issue.

You're missing the point I'm making. It's not the food itself. It's the behavior.

Addictions to substances will cause the addicted person to accept a substitute that will do. Alcoholics will drink some unsavory things just to get a buzz. It has nothing to do with enjoyment. Were you friend totally addicted to fast food, he'd eat stuff he hated just to get a fix.

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.

Experiments in animals and humans show that, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers of the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroin are also activated by food, especially highly palatable foods. Highly palatable foods are foods rich in: Sugar. Fat.

Activating the reward centers is what pleasurable things do. That does not an addiction make. If that were the case, we'd all be addicted to petting puppies, stubbing our toes, and hugging our grandparents.

I researched this extensively a while back. You'll have to do a lot more than this to convince me. All the evidence I found pointed to current thinking being that a subset of people might qualify as having a behavioral addiction to eating.

"Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study."

"Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food" Now you can say there's not enough proof all you want, but that doesn't make it possible that it's true. So why not respect someone's life choices instead of pushing them into your own until then? People should not just assume it's impossible to be addicted if their friend specifically says they are. Just respect them enough to watch a movie or hang out and play a game or something instead of going to Burger King and expecting them to go with. Go on your own time.

That's how all studies begin. It would be possibly illegal to shock people painfully in a giant maze while they eat cheese burgers.

You can't base anything more than a hypothesis on it, either.

Well, you also can't say it's not. I can go on experience of my own and others. If something makes you sick, irritable, have physical pain, depression, etc when you don't have it even if you don't really want it and you still can't stop eating it even if you are no longer enjoying it - that sounds like an addiction.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Also how many studies need to say food is an addiction before people are satisfied? It's never enough unless it agrees with you or what?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

Begin yes but you can't make statements saying it's addictive in humans until they actually complete many studies that indicate it.

Then you can't make a statement saying it's not either. It's called an opinion and I think it's obvious since a lot of people eat food and cry during or after. Obviously they're not enjoying it anymore, but feel like they need it or have a physical urge. If not an addiction, what else is it?

Emotional issues? Habit? It's not the food that made me binge but the negative self talk and psychological issues. For me it definitely was behavioural
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • Verity1111
    Options
    A dtudy done on people. They may not be proven to be exactly the same as drugs yet but food and drugs are already proven to both do these things:
    " What we do know is both food and drugs can cause behaviors that are very similar to addiction -- the inability to cut down, continued use despite negative consequences, a sense of a loss of control"

Also, it is certain foods. It is not only behavioral.

"Foods that tend to be most associated with cravings generally have a high glycemic index, containing high levels of sugar, fat and salt. "These are foods that have a very intense and fast effect on our blood sugar,""
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-cravings-addiction-new-study-adds-to-the-evidence/
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you have the link to the actual study? I'd be interested in reading it.
  • Verity1111
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

That's not posting a study, that's posting an article on a study, that's media hyped up. It's a hypothesis. I'd like to see the actual study and see more, including stuff on humans before you jump to any conclusions.

So yes, that's hardly proof. Are you aware, really aware, of the dismal state of scientific reporting in the media?

And really, what is it with you and this friend? You are taking this very personally.

Because I know a lot of people who go through it and it is personal. He almost died and he's on friggin oxygen. and it bugs me that it's still not enough? And Im sick of people I know not getting support. Although I have seen some get support and just not want to change. But theres a big difference. I did post some of the actual studies. I can find the rest if necessary lol But also rats are used for a reason.

Rodents are used as models in medical testing is that their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Also how many studies need to say food is an addiction before people are satisfied? It's never enough unless it agrees with you or what?

I didn't see any human studies linked to I this thread just media articles and authority nutrition.

There was one human study but it was based on the original responses and has not yet included the way it changes the brain over time (obviously they need time for this) but the responses in the brain of people claiming to have a food addiction was different than those who do not. It was done after eating the same foods. They used MRI scanning. It is recent, yes, so of course more research is needed, but it all is pointing to food being an addiction for some people who are biologically inclined.

Also, rats are used because they react similarly to humans.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

Have you had this conversation with your friends friends
    What did they say

Honestly? They're selfish pricks. We asked them many times and they kept doing it. Instead of just drinking before they come over or going to eat before they come over they'd bring it to his house. It was like they did it on purpose at that point. And I know people on diets who specifically say many times please don't buy me ___ and someone buys it for them for their anniversary or something. Some people maybe legitimately don't understand, but they could still respect the choice. Like don't gift them a big box of chocolate or order pizza and not tell them first. In my opinion, it's very inconsiderate if you've already been asked nicely to not do it around them. And then if they say they don't want any the gifter often get upset and guilts them into it. My dad always buys my mother cakes, for example, even if she asks him not to and then if she says she doesn't want it he gets offended. It's like he's clueless to why she doesn't want it, even if she's said it 100 times.

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

Have you had this conversation with your friends friends
    What did they say

Honestly? They're selfish pricks. We asked them many times and they kept doing it. Instead of just drinking before they come over or going to eat before they come over they'd bring it to his house. It was like they did it on purpose at that point. And I know people on diets who specifically say many times please don't buy me ___ and someone buys it for them for their anniversary or something. Some people maybe legitimately don't understand, but they could still respect the choice. Like don't gift them a big box of chocolate or order pizza and not tell them first. In my opinion, it's very inconsiderate if you've already been asked nicely to not do it around them. And then if they say they don't want any the gifter often get upset and guilts them into it. My dad always buys my mother cakes, for example, even if she asks him not to and then if she says she doesn't want it he gets offended. It's like he's clueless to why she doesn't want it, even if she's said it 100 times.

I don't always think people's intentions are bad. People often show affection with food. socialising often involves food and alcohol

See I totally get that. I'm not saying string them up if they do it once or twice. But after asking someone nicely multiple times it's crazy for them to keep doing it. The situation I am thinking of went on for months. Even when my friend was inpatient - they ordered friggin pizza at the hospital. Im not exaggerating.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2016
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

That's not the way this works.

You started a thread with the proposition that people had a food addiction. That put a burden of proof on you. Now you're appealing to your right of opinion. That's all well and fine, but don't feel you have the right to argue as if that whole addiction thing has merit and needs to be respected.

Your friend's wishes should have been respected because they were his wishes.

The whole issue of them bringing food around an "addict" is a red herring that has no bearing on anything other than you adding another layer to the story that didn't need to be there.

I did put in proof. But you consider it not significant proof. I do. They've proven the first portion - food causes certain brains to react in an addictive manner. The only unproven part is they are not sure how it affects our brains wiring over time.