You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    and let's not forget the other factors involved... remember the girl who is constantly intensely hungry because of a medical condition? http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/2020-rare-condition-makes-kids-intensely-hungry-247-25005190

she is gaining weight on 900 calories a day.

She has been so desperate she ate dog food.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    ...But my original point was that a lot of people on here don't consider the fact that many people do look at food this way and they just like to definitively say to others "there are no bad foods, eat what you want." Which, in my opinion is wrong, because it's not helpful to people that can't eat that way because moderation and self control with certain foods is not everyone's strong point.

I can agree with that, especially the last sentence. The disconnect for me is the jump from there to "sugar is addictive".

I'm one who doesn't consider foods "good" and "bad". I look at the overall context of the diet. With that said, there are people (such as my wife) who cannot exercise moderation and self-control with certain foods, so for them those foods are "bad". But that still doesn't make them universally "bad", it makes them contextually "bad". There are plenty of people who are perfectly capable of control and can enjoy treat foods in moderation.

I feel like the bolded statement is the crux of the entire argument. Thank you for stating it so succinctly. There are those who seem to want to assign a universal moral value to foods as "good" or "bad," then there are those who argue that, "X food is bad FOR ME."

And yes, I was addressing two entirely separate elements within the thread.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    ...But my original point was that a lot of people on here don't consider the fact that many people do look at food this way and they just like to definitively say to others "there are no bad foods, eat what you want." Which, in my opinion is wrong, because it's not helpful to people that can't eat that way because moderation and self control with certain foods is not everyone's strong point.

I can agree with that, especially the last sentence. The disconnect for me is the jump from there to "sugar is addictive".

I'm one who doesn't consider foods "good" and "bad". I look at the overall context of the diet. With that said, there are people (such as my wife) who cannot exercise moderation and self-control with certain foods, so for them those foods are "bad". But that still doesn't make them universally "bad", it makes them contextually "bad". There are plenty of people who are perfectly capable of control and can enjoy treat foods in moderation.

I feel like the bolded statement is the crux of the entire argument. Thank you for stating it so succinctly. There are those who seem to want to assign a universal moral value to foods as "good" or "bad," then there are those who argue that, "X food is bad FOR ME."

And yes, I was addressing two entirely separate elements within the thread.
    The thread that prompted this involved a woman asking how she could assert her boundaries with her husband who thought she was ungrateful, because he gave her a box of chocolates, her favorite treat, and she ended up eating a lot of them. She was told she should be grateful and thank him and show willpower.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Talk to any addict, they are taught that using/not using is their choice, their responsibility no one else's. Addicts are taught in rehab that they are selfish for using, they are basically torn down emotionally, I personally know this from being a family member of an addict many years ago. And unless things have changed since then the addict has sole responsibility for what they chose to do. Please anyone with recent addictions/rehab correct me if I'm wrong and things have changed.

Having said all that, I feel for people who struggle so much so that I would be an enabler if it weren't for alanon helping me.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I love it (not) how everybody has to be a martyr these days and how insulting they can be to others, by trying to make comparisons of different situations.
    If one loves cookies and fries, this does not mean they have a right to compare themselves to drug addicts and alcoholics, because it mocks their struggles and shows a complete luck of empathy. If one has a husband who offers them a chocolate, this does not make their situation dramatic, and thinking how awful this husband is means they have zero empathy for people in really bad domestic situations.
    We all have things we cannot resist, or things we are lazy about, from not having the will power or the desire to make the sacrifices to work hard enough to get a scholarship or save money to get a car to not being able to exercise or resist soda. It is part of being human, it does not give as a right to be so selfish to need to compare ourselves with people with problems we cannot even grasp.
    A fat person calling himself a drug addict does not help people sympathise, it makes this person sound selfish and without compassion.
    A woman whining how her husband bringing gifts is abusing her, she is not presenting a good excuse about her weight, she is disrespectful of families where there are is real abuse going on.
    There is a thing called personal responsibility. Whining and making dramatic statements is not part of this.

Awesome post
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ]The younger generation today is obsessed with the idea of being "triggered" and having the world creating safe spaces for them

I understand this but they can't take the blame all by themselves. surely the older generation around them have helped create this. Over protecting child to protect them from what might happen etc

BTW. When we are saying younger generation what age are we talking out of curiosity
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    and let's not forget the other factors involved... remember the girl who is constantly intensely hungry because of a medical condition? http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/2020-rare-condition-makes-kids-intensely-hungry-247-25005190

she is gaining weight on 900 calories a day.

She has been so desperate she ate dog food.

Not sure what a so-called "bizarre medical mystery" has to do with the topic at hand? <confused>
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    And unless things have changed since then the addict has sole responsibility for what they chose to do. Please anyone with recent addictions/rehab correct me if I'm wrong and things have changed.

This is absolutely correct, and why I find it so bizarre that those arguing for food addiction here want to use that as a reason to say people should be able to blame others or a situation or temptation for their choices to eat.