You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Offer help, but be nicer. Don't be insulting or make people feel stupid because they might not have your experiences, mindset, or views. You can state facts, if you know them to be that true, but don't be a prick about it by making statements like "what don't you understand?" Or "this isn't hard to get."
    I rarely see that level of 'attacking' here on MFP. And when it does occur, all you need do is report the post in question and let the mods decide.

And the issue becomes one of what, precisely, does "be nicer" actually mean? Because that is entirely open to each member's interpretation based on their knowledge, experience and personal style. Your definition of 'nicer' may - to me - come across as panderingly insincere and nauseatingly indirect and unhelpful, or vice-versa. ;)

And for the majority of OPs that start a thread and then never return, I suspect they may have only done so in order to receive validation - to hear their opinions in a different voice - and that having their premise turn out to be misguided is something they are just not ready to either hear or deal with. So they abandon the thread, which is entirely their choice to do.

But for every person who starts such a thread, there are dozens of people that are merely lurking and learning, and may be ready to absorb the information that was generously offered to an unreceptive OP. :)

Yes absolutely this

I bristle at sycophants

I react well to straight-shooters

If this place had been nicey-nice I would not have succeeded in losing and maintaining loss but would have held on to my confusing beliefs, my fads and rules

Nope all hail those who told it like it is

Made the difference

There is a difference between being sickeningly sweet and stating a opinion in an insulting way. No one wants to be made to feel stupid or insulted by someone who THINK they know best and state it as such. You can be a straight shooter without being mean or belittling

That's mainly in the inference ..how you perceive what is written

Maybe. So if someone says to you things like, "what don't you get about this?" Or "this isn't hard to understand." You don't think that's a sort of insulting way to speak to someone you are exchanging ideas with?

Nope, they are comments that I would infer are borne of frustration by my inability to either understand what they have written or frame a response adequately to convey my understanding and dismissal of their point

I could easily say what don't you get about the word "inference " you know...but that would be an irony too far

But couldn't that argument then be used for any time someone insults you or calls you a name? Then would anything ever be "insulting"? So it's never the fault of the person being insulting? It's the fault of the person being insulted if they choose to take it that way? Sorry but I dont buy that and respectfully disagree.

I don't find anything insulting. I find it much healthier for me not to do the blame/victim thing at all, so fault doesn't come into it.

Edited to explain further: I'm not saying that bad things or bad situations don't happen, I just find that dealing with it is better than just whining that it happened.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Offer help, but be nicer. Don't be insulting or make people feel stupid because they might not have your experiences, mindset, or views. You can state facts, if you know them to be that true, but don't be a prick about it by making statements like "what don't you understand?" Or "this isn't hard to get."
    I rarely see that level of 'attacking' here on MFP. And when it does occur, all you need do is report the post in question and let the mods decide.

And the issue becomes one of what, precisely, does "be nicer" actually mean? Because that is entirely open to each member's interpretation based on their knowledge, experience and personal style. Your definition of 'nicer' may - to me - come across as panderingly insincere and nauseatingly indirect and unhelpful, or vice-versa. ;)

And for the majority of OPs that start a thread and then never return, I suspect they may have only done so in order to receive validation - to hear their opinions in a different voice - and that having their premise turn out to be misguided is something they are just not ready to either hear or deal with. So they abandon the thread, which is entirely their choice to do.

But for every person who starts such a thread, there are dozens of people that are merely lurking and learning, and may be ready to absorb the information that was generously offered to an unreceptive OP. :)

Yes absolutely this

I bristle at sycophants

If this place had been nicey-nice I would not have succeeded in losing and maintaining loss but would have held on to my confusing beliefs, my fads and rules

Made the difference

There is a difference between being sickeningly sweet and stating a opinion in an insulting way. No one wants to be made to feel stupid or insulted by someone who THINK they know best and state it as such. You can be a straight shooter without being mean or belittling

Maybe. So if someone says to you things like, "what don't you get about this?" Or "this isn't hard to understand." You don't think that's a sort of insulting way to speak to someone you are exchanging ideas with?

Nope, they are comments that I would infer are borne of frustration by my inability to either understand what they have written or frame a response adequately to convey my understanding and dismissal of their point

I could easily say what don't you get about the word "inference " you know...but that would be an irony too far

But couldn't that argument then be used for any time someone insults you or calls you a name? Then would anything ever be "insulting"? So it's never the fault of the person being insulting? It's the fault of the person being insulted if they choose to take it that way? Sorry but I dont buy that and respectfully disagree.

I don't find anything insulting. I find it much healthier for me not to do the blame/victim thing at all, so fault doesn't come into it.

are you saying you never find anything people say insulting? or you have never come across these situations
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    ok seen the update. understand
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yes absolutely this

I bristle at sycophants

Made the difference

Nope it couldn't
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

Yes absolutely this

I bristle at sycophants

Made the difference

are you saying you never find anything people say insulting? or you have never come across these situations

I've never found anything a stranger said to be insulting, no. I make the choice not to give them the power.

I've never found anything a friend said insulting, although sometimes they are frustrating (as am I to them!) but we talk it out.

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Did you see that thread where a woman's husband thought she was ungrateful because he sabatoged her with chocolates and she asked advice on how to make this boundary clear to him and she was demoralized to the point that she hasn't been back on by people telling her she should thank him for chocolates and have willpower?!?!?! RAGE

Yes, there seem to be a lot of missy know-it-alls on these boards that have amazing will power. Almost makes you wonder how they got overweight to begin with right? Since they know everything about dieting and eating healthy they should just all get together and write a book called "You're doing it wrong!" Or "How hard is this to understand?" Or how about "You weak minded imbecile:Eat What You Want and Still Lose Weight."

What they don't get is they may think they are trying to help but they don't say things in a helpful tone of voice. They will state things so matter-of-factly, instead of phrasing their comments in terms of what works for them in regards to what they answering on. Like I've been saying, I label foods as bad or good, some others on here are clearly against that way of thinking towards a diet. I respect that and don't turn around and tell them "well, you are wrong." If you are going to question my way of thinking I'm going to just state my side and explain my way of thinking, but it's like there are people on here that can't accept that and will fight you to the death over your opinion until they scare you off the boards for life.
    Or how about the people to which you say a very clear and concise statement to and they completely flip it around? Example:

Me:I like red hats
    MFP commenter: Not everyone likes red hats!!!!
    Me: I never said everyone did.
    MFP Commenter: well, you implied it!
    Me: um...what? Can I mail you some Twinkies?

Ok, I know I'm getting silly now, but I felt the need to get that off my chest. Let the crucifixion begin!
    I wish these boards could be a more comfortable, light hearted, fun place to be, but much of the time they are not.

You sound quite angry. In the end, we all have to lose our weight, our way. For me, losing 80 lbs took willpower. It took saying no to the second cupcake, even though I thought I needed it.

For you, it may be different.

You do you!

I might sound a little angry because people should not be scared off of here or made to feel bad when they are on these boards for help with their weight loss journey. It's sickening to see how some people are attacked for their opinions and choices when it comes to dieting. Like you said "you do you." Share your opinion or experience in hopes of being some help to others, but don't go on the attack if they disagree. Sure, there are people that start threads as confrontational right off the bat, and those people are wrong to do so. But I've seen people that create a very innocent post and are crucified by the end of it. I always end up feeling bad for them because I'm sure they never thought it was going to turn so ugly so fast.

Just to recap the burger vs. pizza thread.

You jumped in and said burgers are better, the kind of pizza that I am going to assume that everyone else is eating is going to lead to binges.

People responded and said that might be true for you, but not for everyone, many can feel satisfied on lower cal pizza than you apparently are assuming, or less, or will be just as or more likely to overeat when having a burger.

You dug in and kept arguing (I dunno why), that no, pizza was worse in general.

When eventually enough people had pointed out the flaw in this you got mad and pretended (although the thread disproved it) that people had been trying to say that pizza wasn't a worse choice for you, when that was never something even being discussed, and no one would have objected if that's what you'd said (about 50 previous people had said that one or the other was better for them).

Saying that a food is a bad choice for you is totally reasonable. But that has nothing to do with the common statement on MFP that there are no inherently bad foods -- it depends on the person and the overall diet. Nor is "eat what you like within your calories" bad advice, although I typically recommend considering satiety and nutrition too, as do most here. I assume that for any sensible adult eating what you like within your calories will include consideration of nutrition and satiety, since I know I personally like to eat foods that make me feel good, are good for me (as part of my overall diet), and fill me up. But of course I can eat some ice cream as part of a sensible overall healthy diet and still be sated. (If it were a trigger food for me I might avoid it for a while and work on that.)

People who say there are no bad foods don't mean -- and I am sure that in reality you know this -- that what people eat overall makes no difference or that it's not important to consider how you feel or health. They mean that including some cheese (or pizza or chocolates) if you like it won't make your overall diet less healthy. If you can't eat chocolates without binging, don't eat it (at least for now) and work on that. But also don't pretend like it's possible to totally avoid every being tempted by them or blame the chocolate shop, the fact someone in a moving is eating chocolates, your husband for buying you chocolates (when you never said not to), someone for saying "hey, want a chocolate," your workplace for having chocolates around, etc., for the fact that you aren't losing weight. Learning how to deal with temptation is necessary.

So here is the thing: people took what I said about the burger thing, twisted my words and said I was speaking for everybody! This is my other problem with these boards. I was sharing my mindset on why burgers are a better choice then pizza. I was met with non-sensical comments like "so pizza is what leads everyone to be overweight?" Nope, once again, never said that. Where did you read me saying that? I thought my statements were very concise and there wasn't room for misinterpretation, but maybe I was wrong. Although, I'm not convinced that the problem is entirely me because I've witnessed this happen to others millions of times on here. Which is why I felt the need to point it out in one of my last posts. Then when I gave my opinion defending my stance I got attacked about how I was speaking for everyone and I shouldn't do that. (Which I wasn't, if you actually read what I wrote). Or people couldn't just let me feel that burgers were a better choice and kept explaining why they thought I was wrong. And some people were doing it in an insulting way. That's what I'm against. If you think pizza or both are better, great for you. But don't come back at me and be unkind with your opinion.

I don't think I read or commented on that thread, but if I did I've forgotten it so what I'm about to say is an observation based just on what you've said in this thread. Do you realise that you're condemning people for reading into things you've said whilst reading things into things they've said? You're assigning motives to them at the same time as you're complaining that they're assigning motives to you.

It's fine (IMO) to say "that's not what I said", but when you add the rider of "and you're saying that because you're mean/it's nonsensical/it's happened to others" it falls apart.

Sorry but I'm going to respectfully disagree. Not knowing what happened in the other thread or in others that I have been part of or viewed to which my examples are derived you can't possibly pick a side (so to speak.) and honestly I can't keep repeating myself. I've explained my point many times, if you disagree then fine, you have every right. I don't read into things. There are different ways to speak to someone. Nice, polite, mean, insulting. If not, then these attitudes or feelings wouldn't exist. If I say "your hair is ugly" "or you don't know what you are talking about," and you get offended, I don't have the right to say "hey that's your problem you got offended." These are just an example.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you see that thread where a woman's husband thought she was ungrateful because he sabatoged her with chocolates and she asked advice on how to make this boundary clear to him and she was demoralized to the point that she hasn't been back on by people telling her she should thank him for chocolates and have willpower?!?!?! RAGE

Yes, there seem to be a lot of missy know-it-alls on these boards that have amazing will power. Almost makes you wonder how they got overweight to begin with right? Since they know everything about dieting and eating healthy they should just all get together and write a book called "You're doing it wrong!" Or "How hard is this to understand?" Or how about "You weak minded imbecile:Eat What You Want and Still Lose Weight."

What they don't get is they may think they are trying to help but they don't say things in a helpful tone of voice. They will state things so matter-of-factly, instead of phrasing their comments in terms of what works for them in regards to what they answering on. Like I've been saying, I label foods as bad or good, some others on here are clearly against that way of thinking towards a diet. I respect that and don't turn around and tell them "well, you are wrong." If you are going to question my way of thinking I'm going to just state my side and explain my way of thinking, but it's like there are people on here that can't accept that and will fight you to the death over your opinion until they scare you off the boards for life.
    Or how about the people to which you say a very clear and concise statement to and they completely flip it around? Example:

Ok, I know I'm getting silly now, but I felt the need to get that off my chest. Let the crucifixion begin!
    I wish these boards could be a more comfortable, light hearted, fun place to be, but much of the time they are not.

You sound quite angry. In the end, we all have to lose our weight, our way. For me, losing 80 lbs took willpower. It took saying no to the second cupcake, even though I thought I needed it.

You do you!

I might sound a little angry because people should not be scared off of here or made to feel bad when they are on these boards for help with their weight loss journey. It's sickening to see how some people are attacked for their opinions and choices when it comes to dieting. Like you said "you do you." Share your opinion or experience in hopes of being some help to others, but don't go on the attack if they disagree. Sure, there are people that start threads as confrontational right off the bat, and those people are wrong to do so. But I've seen people that create a very innocent post and are crucified by the end of it. I always end up feeling bad for them because I'm sure they never thought it was going to turn so ugly so fast.

You jumped in and said burgers are better, the kind of pizza that I am going to assume that everyone else is eating is going to lead to binges.

People responded and said that might be true for you, but not for everyone, many can feel satisfied on lower cal pizza than you apparently are assuming, or less, or will be just as or more likely to overeat when having a burger.

When eventually enough people had pointed out the flaw in this you got mad and pretended (although the thread disproved it) that people had been trying to say that pizza wasn't a worse choice for you, when that was never something even being discussed, and no one would have objected if that's what you'd said (about 50 previous people had said that one or the other was better for them).

Saying that a food is a bad choice for you is totally reasonable. But that has nothing to do with the common statement on MFP that there are no inherently bad foods -- it depends on the person and the overall diet. Nor is "eat what you like within your calories" bad advice, although I typically recommend considering satiety and nutrition too, as do most here. I assume that for any sensible adult eating what you like within your calories will include consideration of nutrition and satiety, since I know I personally like to eat foods that make me feel good, are good for me (as part of my overall diet), and fill me up. But of course I can eat some ice cream as part of a sensible overall healthy diet and still be sated. (If it were a trigger food for me I might avoid it for a while and work on that.)

People who say there are no bad foods don't mean -- and I am sure that in reality you know this -- that what people eat overall makes no difference or that it's not important to consider how you feel or health. They mean that including some cheese (or pizza or chocolates) if you like it won't make your overall diet less healthy. If you can't eat chocolates without binging, don't eat it (at least for now) and work on that. But also don't pretend like it's possible to totally avoid every being tempted by them or blame the chocolate shop, the fact someone in a moving is eating chocolates, your husband for buying you chocolates (when you never said not to), someone for saying "hey, want a chocolate," your workplace for having chocolates around, etc., for the fact that you aren't losing weight. Learning how to deal with temptation is necessary.

So here is the thing: people took what I said about the burger thing, twisted my words and said I was speaking for everybody! This is my other problem with these boards. I was sharing my mindset on why burgers are a better choice then pizza. I was met with non-sensical comments like "so pizza is what leads everyone to be overweight?" Nope, once again, never said that. Where did you read me saying that? I thought my statements were very concise and there wasn't room for misinterpretation, but maybe I was wrong. Although, I'm not convinced that the problem is entirely me because I've witnessed this happen to others millions of times on here. Which is why I felt the need to point it out in one of my last posts. Then when I gave my opinion defending my stance I got attacked about how I was speaking for everyone and I shouldn't do that. (Which I wasn't, if you actually read what I wrote). Or people couldn't just let me feel that burgers were a better choice and kept explaining why they thought I was wrong. And some people were doing it in an insulting way. That's what I'm against. If you think pizza or both are better, great for you. But don't come back at me and be unkind with your opinion.

This is revisionist history. You were given lots of opportunities to clarify if what you mean was pizza is worse "for me." In fact, when people disagreed with you, they only said "it's not worse for ME," so you could have said, "that's exactly what I am saying." Instead, you kept insisting that it was worse for people in general or, you modified, for fat people in general.

You also did say that fat people, because they are fat people, obviously would not be satisfied with 2 pieces of pizza but would be able to eat lower cal burgers and for some reason should be assumed to be likely to overeat pizza, not burgers. That's all that (ridiculous) debate was about.

Now you are trying to pretend like people said stuff they didn't. Not sure why, seems odd to me.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

You do you!

I don't think I read or commented on that thread, but if I did I've forgotten it so what I'm about to say is an observation based just on what you've said in this thread. Do you realise that you're condemning people for reading into things you've said whilst reading things into things they've said? You're assigning motives to them at the same time as you're complaining that they're assigning motives to you.

It's fine (IMO) to say "that's not what I said", but when you add the rider of "and you're saying that because you're mean/it's nonsensical/it's happened to others" it falls apart.

Sorry but I'm going to respectfully disagree. Not knowing what happened in the other thread or in others that I have been part of or viewed to which my examples are derived you can't possibly pick a side (so to speak.) and honestly I can't keep repeating myself. I've explained my point many times, if you disagree then fine, you have every right. I don't read into things. There are different ways to speak to someone. Nice, polite, mean, insulting. If not, then these attitudes or feelings wouldn't exist. If I say "your hair is ugly" "or you don't know what you are talking about," and you get offended, I don't have the right to say "hey that's your problem you got offended." These are just an example.

My point is, I wouldn't be offended.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You do you!

I believe WinoGelato was the main person she was calling mean on the other thread, which shows that there's something wrong in the perception (or it's just dishonest), IMO.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    i am actually teaching my daughter right now how to deal with name calling. most of the stuff they say at school is so silly anyway. Anyone calls her a name she is to tell them thank you. She has used it a few times and her class mates at the other end repeat themselves and she repeats her thank you with a you are such a good friend. The class mate will then tell her she is weird and walk away. It so much better than go back and forth using silly words. Its also teaching her to not take everything said verbally so seriously.

Kudos to you for empowering your daughter!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

You do you!

This is revisionist history. You were given lots of opportunities to clarify if what you mean was pizza is worse "for me." In fact, when people disagreed with you, they only said "it's not worse for ME," so you could have said, "that's exactly what I am saying." Instead, you kept insisting that it was worse for people in general or, you modified, for fat people in general.

You also did say that fat people, because they are fat people, obviously would not be satisfied with 2 pieces of pizza but would be able to eat lower cal burgers and for some reason should be assumed to be likely to overeat pizza, not burgers. That's all that (ridiculous) debate was about.

Now you are trying to pretend like people said stuff they didn't. Not sure why, seems odd to me.

Some people get offended when people don't agree with them, others get offended when people ignore them, even more look for reasons to get offended then react, then there are others who are always opposites and even more who always agree

Some hold a grudge others don't

Some learn others already feel they know everything

Some sites suit some people others should switch off the Internet

It takes all sorts

Isn't it glorious
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    i am actually teaching my daughter right now how to deal with name calling. most of the stuff they say at school is so silly anyway. Anyone calls her a name she is to tell them thank you. She has used it a few times and her class mates at the other end repeat themselves and she repeats her thank you with a you are such a good friend. The class mate will then tell her she is weird and walk away. It so much better than go back and forth using silly words. Its also teaching her to not take everything said verbally so seriously.

Kudos to you for empowering your daughter!

Thanks.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

He didn't sabotage her though. This is where personal responsibility comes in. He didn't force feed them to her. She chose to eat them. You seem to think she is totally helpless and a victim. That's more damaging to her psyche than pointing out that she has the power to stand up and say no and have other options. I guess you blame stores and fast food restaurants for sabotaging people? As I said earlier the victim mindset is so rampant that it is sickening. Quit being a victim and blaming everyone else. Nothing will change until you stop doing that. How will you ever lose weight or whatever if it's never your fault and totally out of your control.

I think that way about most addictions, or those with addiction-like issues. It (addiction or addiction like issues) usually starts with some bad decisions: choosing to drink too much or too often, or choosing to try drugs and hard drugs, choosing to eat a diet high in nutrionally poor high sugar (junk) foods. It all starts with bad choices, although some may be ignorant of their choices or just have a sense of misplaced personal indestructibility (one isn't going to hut, and if one doesn't hurt then a few more won't hurt either - playing the odds).

I do understand this. I just don't believe that anyone can change their behaviour until they recognize why they make bad choices and work on why these occur. I've been there, done that. I used to blame others for my ED even when I was inpatient and in a day hospital program because it was easier to think I had no control over it and unfortunately I relapsed as soon as I left. I didn't make any substantial progress in my recovery until I stepped back and realized that I do have control. Sure it is difficult and it still is difficult but it is worth the hard work as I probably would have died if I didn't put the work in.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

You do you!

Some people get offended when people don't agree with them, others get offended when people ignore them, even more look for reasons to get offended then react, then there are others who are always opposites and even more who always agree

Some hold a grudge others don't

Some learn others already feel they know everything

Some sites suit some people others should switch off the Internet

It takes all sorts

Isn't it glorious

When I'm Queen of The World, you'll be pleased to know I'm not going to change this, because I like that we're not all the same (not saying I'd want to hang out with some of the people that have different ways, but I'm glad that they are comfortable with expressing them...mainly so that I know who to avoid).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think food addiction is similar to sex addiction. It does exist and can be extremely hard to break out of. When people say it's not, I think they're really just trying not to be open minded.

Moderation is a goal, but it takes time to get there for many people.

When people say food is bad in this context, it means it's bad for their mental well being.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I think food addiction is similar to sex addiction. It does exist and can be extremely hard to break out of. When people say it's not, I think they're really just trying not to be open minded.

Most people who have issue with the addiction comment do agree that it is a behavioural addiction
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Moderation is a goal, but it takes time to get there for many people.

When people say food is bad in this context, it means it's bad for their mental well being.

That's what everyone has been saying
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry, I ready the OP only.