You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh, these threads ...

So that's all there is to it - willpower and "eat in moderation" is all the world need?

Some day I hope someone will stick its nose away from the proverbial tree and explain, from a historical and anthropological standpoint, the sudden GLOBAL epidemic of "lack of willpower" and "failure to eat in moderation".

It's been explained over and over
    We'll it is not quite global - I doubt many people in Ethiopia have been hit by it.

I would say this relatively recent incidence of widespread obesity relates to more availability of food and availability of non movement ( cats, office jobs etc)

Most people in history in most of the world didn't over eat because there wasnt a surplus of food.
    And they didn't under exercise because there was no non exercise way of doing things.

This ...minus cats
    Oh, these threads ...

So that's all there is to it - willpower and "eat in moderation" is all the world need?

Some day I hope someone will stick its nose away from the proverbial tree and explain, from a historical and anthropological standpoint, the sudden GLOBAL epidemic of "lack of willpower" and "failure to eat in moderation".

You seem to think we instantly jumped into the moderation and great willpower mindset.

Hahahahaha.... no. Not at all.

It was hard for us in the beginning, too. We put in the hard work. We failed, and got right back up. We learned from our mistakes and kept going. The excuses and blaming were dropped. We gained knowledge. With all this, we gained confidence.

We still make mistakes from time to time.

You sound....familiar.

And this, minus familiarity, but with knobs on
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Oh, these threads ...

It is not global. Some people starve to death. Others die from eating too much.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh, these threads ...

It isn't a sudden thing... (well I guess if we are looking at the totality of time that humans have been on the planet the last 50 years or so could be considered sudden) but I'm interested in your theories as to what's causing the obesity epidemic.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Oh, these threads ...

It isn't a sudden thing... (well I guess if we are looking at the totality of time that humans have been on the planet the last 50 years or so could be considered sudden) but I'm interested in your theories as to what's causing the obesity epidemic.

Many people are saying that domestic felines are a leading cause of the epidemic.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    <<<< Hank says, "NO."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

hahahaha - I didnt notice I wrote that ridiculous statement - we move less now because of cats

In case anyone didnt realise - I meant cars. ;)

Yeah we noticed
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is a response to another thread, but I'm also going to go out on a limb and say you didn't read his thread. Sugar and other junk foods do have an impact on the reward centers of the brain similar to snorting cocaine, petting a puppy, kissing someone you love, and stubbing your toe. It's the pain and pleasure area of the brain and a strong history of avoiding starvation has taught our ancestors brains that eating is good.

It doesn't matter. It goes further than that as well. And no it isn't only about other threads. There is something personal about it as I just added. I have a friend who's about 400lbs and was 700lbs. And he had asked more than once politely for his friends to not bring food to his house. His friends would come over bring alcohol and order pizza around this man who is on oxygen. Now this is an extreme example, but it makes the same point. You can handle yourself, fine, but some people can not say no and if they ask you to not tempt them or bring it around them - don't. It's that simple.

It sounds like this man's friends lack any shred of common sense. I also question how strong the friendship is...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Thank you! This is what I've tried saying on here many times. I hate when some people on here say "there is no bad food," "food shouldn't be vilified," "you can eat what you want in moderation so nothing should be off limits." Yeah...maybe for some people, but not all. If moderation, self control, and heathy eating habits were practiced by everyone there wouldn't be sooo many people very heavily overweight and on here looking for help. Everyone can have their opinions about food, but what I'm opposed to is the people posting on these boards who say these things and say them so matter-of-factly like anyone would be uneducated and ridiculous to think otherwise. As a fat person, let me share with you my mindset about why I deem some foods as bad. There are many things that I could not stop myself from eating only one or two of to stay under my daily calories. And I don't just want "a taste." Because for me there is no such thing. So for my diet I will avoid them all together or only have them as a treat once in a blue moon or I'll find a substitute. I don't feel like I'm refusing myself anything...before you give me that blah, blah excuse about how my diet will fail if I ban foods yadda, yadda. My dieting has been working fairly well so far and I don't feel deprived. I'm down 27 pounds since 4th of July. And I'm feeling good about it. So when people ask questions about the nutritional value or calories of one food over the other be mindful that they might not have the self control you have and don't consider every food an option for their dieting success.

In regards to the bolded, I think that is more a matter of how you are interpreting...