You are not just "weak" or "lazy". Food can be an ADDICTION.

Options

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any responses, but addicts have to learn how to deal with addiction. So what? The alcoholic will never attend another wedding? Or better yet demand that there be no alcohol served?

Nope. Sorry,.... This is the addicts issue to navigate. And fwiw I do believe im sugar addicted. But that doesn't mean I'm allowed to go ballistic when donuts are brought into my workplace and I'm offered one. It's MY problem. It's MY job to say no. It's MY job to protect my sobriety (or whatever you want to call it).
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but literally ANYTHING can be addicting if you let it. I used to be an addict to cigarettes . I stopped even though all my friends smoked every time we went out. I stopped because I was determined to do so. Same goes with food. People should stop pitying themselves and do something about it , instead of waiting for other people to stop enjoying things for their sake.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    I just want to make a couple points here.

1. Most of the "no food is bad" argument is directed to those who constantly fall off the wagon because they've convinced themselves that all of the food they love is "bad," and think they have to restrict themselves to celery and bottled water. It's not, at least that I've seen, directed towards those who simply cannot moderate their behavior towards certain foods. For instance, I firmly believe one can eat anything and lose weight, but I know that if I bring chips and french onion dip into the house, I'll have it eaten by the next day. So I don't buy them, because I can't moderate my behavior towards them. It doesn't make them "bad."

2. By the clinical definition of "addiction," it's possibly be entirely psychologically addicted to a substance, so that no physical withdraw symptoms occur when the person stops it. So, given that, I do believe that people can be addicted to sugar, carbs, food in general, etc. And the reason people don't sell their bodies on the streets to get it is that it can be cheaply and readily purchased at the store.

That makes them bad for you because you can't control yourself with them. So you stay away from them. If they're not good for your overall health or diet then what are they? Bad is the opposite of good. For instance, I love milky ways, I can still technically eat a Milky Way on my diet but it wouldn't be the best decision with the calories I'm allowed each day to eat a 280+ calorie candy bar that has no nutritional value and will not fill me up. I'll probably just be hungry afterwards and won't have has many calories remaining for a decent meal. In my opinion, a candy bar like that would be bad for me and the success of my diet. It wouldn't be the smartest way to spend my calories for the day. Now maybe I eat something as a substitute to get a sugar fix, something that will be better for my success on my diet. one thing is a good choice, one thing is bad choice. But if you are somebody that feels you might not be successful on a diet if you look at food this way, then that's you. But my original point was that a lot of people on here don't consider the fact that many people do look at food this way and they just like to definitively say to others "there are no bad foods, eat what you want." Which, in my opinion is wrong, because it's not helpful to people that can't eat that way because moderation and self control with certain foods is not everyone's strong point.

Aren't you the poster who started threads about Which is worse: burger or pizza? and Should I eat toast or cereal?

That sort of polarised thinking about individual foods is not effective.
    Your diet as a whole, ie not segregating foods into good and bad without context, is the way to look at it.

My apologies if you were not OP of those threads and I am confusing you with somebody else.

I'm not the OP of those threads. But saying my individual view on those foods is not effective is exactly what I'm talking about in the previous points I've made on this thread. Instead of you saying, "I don't like to label foods as good or bad for my own reasons." You just immediately tell other people who might have a labeling foods mindset that they are wrong and will fail by doing so. Since you don't know other mindsets about dieting you shouldn't be definitively telling people that their way is wrong. I'm not going to explain myself for the hundredth time of why I believe that commenters giving advice should not say "no foods are bad" and "eat whatever you want." You can go back and read my answers if you so wish.

Well if burger vs pizza thread has been removed, I can't go back and re read it now.

I did say I wasn't sure if you were OP of those threads and apologised in advance if I had you confused with someone else.

But no, the other things you claim I immediatly said - are not what I said at all.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    As someone with a drug addiction, I'm in for the lulz.
    601.gif

I love this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

1. Most of the "no food is bad" argument is directed to those who constantly fall off the wagon because they've convinced themselves that all of the food they love is "bad," and think they have to restrict themselves to celery and bottled water. It's not, at least that I've seen, directed towards those who simply cannot moderate their behavior towards certain foods. For instance, I firmly believe one can eat anything and lose weight, but I know that if I bring chips and french onion dip into the house, I'll have it eaten by the next day. So I don't buy them, because I can't moderate my behavior towards them. It doesn't make them "bad."

2. By the clinical definition of "addiction," it's possibly be entirely psychologically addicted to a substance, so that no physical withdraw symptoms occur when the person stops it. So, given that, I do believe that people can be addicted to sugar, carbs, food in general, etc. And the reason people don't sell their bodies on the streets to get it is that it can be cheaply and readily purchased at the store.

That makes them bad for you because you can't control yourself with them. So you stay away from them. If they're not good for your overall health or diet then what are they? Bad is the opposite of good. For instance, I love milky ways, I can still technically eat a Milky Way on my diet but it wouldn't be the best decision with the calories I'm allowed each day to eat a 280+ calorie candy bar that has no nutritional value and will not fill me up. I'll probably just be hungry afterwards and won't have has many calories remaining for a decent meal. In my opinion, a candy bar like that would be bad for me and the success of my diet. It wouldn't be the smartest way to spend my calories for the day. Now maybe I eat something as a substitute to get a sugar fix, something that will be better for my success on my diet. one thing is a good choice, one thing is bad choice. But if you are somebody that feels you might not be successful on a diet if you look at food this way, then that's you. But my original point was that a lot of people on here don't consider the fact that many people do look at food this way and they just like to definitively say to others "there are no bad foods, eat what you want." Which, in my opinion is wrong, because it's not helpful to people that can't eat that way because moderation and self control with certain foods is not everyone's strong point.

Aren't you the poster who started threads about Which is worse: burger or pizza? and Should I eat toast or cereal?

Your diet as a whole, ie not segregating foods into good and bad without context, is the way to look at it.

My apologies if you were not OP of those threads and I am confusing you with somebody else.

I'm not the OP of those threads. But saying my individual view on those foods is not effective is exactly what I'm talking about in the previous points I've made on this thread. Instead of you saying, "I don't like to label foods as good or bad for my own reasons." You just immediately tell other people who might have a labeling foods mindset that they are wrong and will fail by doing so. Since you don't know other mindsets about dieting you shouldn't be definitively telling people that their way is wrong. I'm not going to explain myself for the hundredth time of why I believe that commenters giving advice should not say "no foods are bad" and "eat whatever you want." You can go back and read my answers if you so wish.

Well if burger vs pizza thread has been removed, I can't go back and re read it now.

I did say I wasn't sure if you were OP of those threads and apologised in advance if I had you confused with someone else.

But no, the other things you claim I immediatly said - are not what I said at all.

It wasn't removed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38010696

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Did you see that thread where a woman's husband thought she was ungrateful because he sabatoged her with chocolates and she asked advice on how to make this boundary clear to him and she was demoralized to the point that she hasn't been back on by people telling her she should thank him for chocolates and have willpower?!?!?! RAGE

Yes, there seem to be a lot of missy know-it-alls on these boards that have amazing will power. Almost makes you wonder how they got overweight to begin with right? Since they know everything about dieting and eating healthy they should just all get together and write a book called "You're doing it wrong!" Or "How hard is this to understand?" Or how about "You weak minded imbecile:Eat What You Want and Still Lose Weight."

What they don't get is they may think they are trying to help but they don't say things in a helpful tone of voice. They will state things so matter-of-factly, instead of phrasing their comments in terms of what works for them in regards to what they answering on. Like I've been saying, I label foods as bad or good, some others on here are clearly against that way of thinking towards a diet. I respect that and don't turn around and tell them "well, you are wrong." If you are going to question my way of thinking I'm going to just state my side and explain my way of thinking, but it's like there are people on here that can't accept that and will fight you to the death over your opinion until they scare you off the boards for life.
    Or how about the people to which you say a very clear and concise statement to and they completely flip it around? Example:

Me:I like red hats
    MFP commenter: Not everyone likes red hats!!!!
    Me: I never said everyone did.
    MFP Commenter: well, you implied it!
    Me: um...what? Can I mail you some Twinkies?

Ok, I know I'm getting silly now, but I felt the need to get that off my chest. Let the crucifixion begin!
    I wish these boards could be a more comfortable, light hearted, fun place to be, but much of the time they are not.

My question: how can you determine tone of voice on an internet forum? What you see as snarky others might see as healthy debate, and vice versa. ;)

I used to label foods as good and bad, and that's what eventually got me into a lot of trouble. When I stopped that behavior, my whole perception of food changed, and so did my life.

Now, the only foods that are bad for me are those I am intolerant or allergic to. Everything in moderation works well for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Puppybear1 wrote: »
    Sugar is a drug. And just like alcoholics, some people have genetic predispositions for addiction, ie - diabetics. I have been preaching this topic for a week and fending off the shade I get for comparing sugar to drugs, but it IS a drug, or food companies wouldn't put it in practically everything! Kudos to the Enlightened!

Sugar isn't a drug. It's just sugar.

It is very similar to a drug.

If you need to cast yourself and others in the role of a victim, go right ahead. Doesn't make it the truth, though.

I could say the same about drug addicts then.

No, you cannot.
    Sugar is not a drug.

When you or anyone cuts out sugar, do you experience:
    • Deep depression and suicidal thoughts?
    • Immense all-over pain?
    • Irritability to the point that you need to be restrained?
    • Emotional instability?
    • Anxiety attacks?
    • Restlessness all day and night and/or insomnia?
    • Sweating, hot flashes.
    • Flu-like symptoms: weakness, body aches and headaches.
    • Lack of or increased appetite.

While you're on sugar, do you?
    • Have the need to steal sugar items or money to obtain sugar items from loved ones and friends?
    • Sell or pawn all your items (including items with sentimental value as well as monetary value) to get a sugar fix?
    • Act irrational when you don't have sugar. Become overly depressed or violent?
    • Constantly lie to loved ones and create excuses to justify your sugar abuse?
    • Instant change in mood when you do get sugar?
    • Need more and more sugar to be satisfied?
    • Bipolar like symptoms?

I can guarantee that the answer is NO.

How do I know this? Lots of experiences with friends and loved ones, and perhaps a personal one. I even lost a friend due to deep depression which caused overdose.

Please stop with this utter nonsense about sugar being addicting.
    And, authority nutrition is NOT an actual authority of nutrition.

Oh man, this right here says it all.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I think they should ban junk food to avoid temptation

Who's definition of "junk food" would you ban? Just curious. ;)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Amazing willpower is something that is developed over time, and needs to be practiced over and over. Poor eating habits are just that - habits, and habits can be changed. I got fat because I had poor habits. I developed better habits and have lost 115lbs. The eating part was easy in that I ate smaller portions of everything and practiced moderation - BUT I WANTED to eat so much more that the willpower stuff not so easy. But I wanted to get control of my eating and lose weight SO MUCH that I developed much better willpower - enough to say no to the foods I previously felt "addicted" to. It is so much easier to give in to a counterproductive habit than it is to resist it, but its a skill that you really need to cultivate to lose weight, or achieve anything if you want it strongly enough.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    siraphine wrote: »

Yes, make things illegal because YOU can't handle yourself. That's not how this works. Drugs are banned because they are dangerous. Food is not inherently dangerous unless you get out of control. You can't just make things illegal as a crutch for yourself. It's something you need to work on.

why not?
    then we can end these endless junkfood addiction posts
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Who's definition of "junk food" would you ban? Just curious. ;)

mine obviously. lol
    otherwise will have 8 pages of debate on the definition of junk food
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

It wasn't removed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38010696

oh ok, thank you.

I thought I read that it had - my mistake
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I looked for it and couldn't find it and seemed to remember it had been. Maybe it was just closed for a while.
  • Isabelle2222
    Isabelle2222 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh, these threads ...

So that's all there is to it - willpower and "eat in moderation" is all the world need?

Some day I hope someone will stick its nose away from the proverbial tree and explain, from a historical and anthropological standpoint, the sudden GLOBAL epidemic of "lack of willpower" and "failure to eat in moderation".