Family's Blatant Lack of Understanding of Basic Nutrition

Options

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    siraphine wrote: »
    When I started, they kind of didn't take my needs into consideration with meal planning if they were going to have me for dinner. Now they kind of do, but it's almost worse than it was before. They've added veggies to the menu, but they cook them ALL in butter and tons of salt. Totally kills the low calorie aspect and *kitten* the nutrition. I may as well eat pizza but stop after one piece.
    They are so proud of themselves too...
    "Is this healthy?"
    "Uh..no, not exactly.."
    "But why? We have three kinds of veggies."

Yeah, you did. But you've smothered them in other unhealthy *kitten*...veggies are delicious why do you feel the need to kill them with grease?

Buy them something like a steamer, so they don't feel the need to add butter? Or ask them if you can just grab some quickly before they add the butter ?

Just nicely try and educate them that little is better most the time
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    They're trying, and you can still work with them, maybe as edena said, by asking for some vegetables before they add the butter.

I wish I could be in your shoes. I'd be grateful.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 18 years ago. Never once has my family made any kind of accommodation for me at a family holiday gathering. I've always had to bring my own meal.

I've sat there through countless Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays (unless I was hosting) feeling always left out in some way. Everything, even down to the meat being served (this was before I was a vegetarian) would be contaminated with gluten in some way.

I never understood this. When we host, I've gone out of my way to accommodate my family's preferences, but those are the breaks.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do get it, OP. It can be really frustrating. My mom just got back from a trip. She bought me a half pound of fudge! My brother and his girlfriend stopped by the other day and dropped off an enormous container of pumpkin crisp. Yes, I can accept it and not have this stuff, but it's temptation and I have issues with that. It's also very hard when I go to a family member's for dinner and they act offended if I don't eat everything or worse large portions of everything.

It's unclear if you live at home or if not, how often you go home to eat, but I think some of the suggestions offered here are good. If you're living at home, could you ask your family to cook your veggies separately? Better still, could YOU cook them separately? If you're going home on occasion, bringing a side dish or salad sounds like a great idea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They're trying, and you can still work with them, maybe as edena said, by asking for some vegetables before they add the butter.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 18 years ago. Never once has my family made any kind of accommodation for me at a family holiday gathering. I've always had to bring my own meal.

I've sat there through countless Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays (unless I was hosting) feeling always left out in some way. Everything, even down to the meat being served (this was before I was a vegetarian) would be contaminated with gluten in some way.

I never understood this. When we host, I've gone out of my way to accommodate my family's preferences, but those are the breaks.

That stinks. My sister-in-law's husband and kids have various combos of celiac disease and other food allergies and we always try to accomodate them. It's pretty easy to do with minimal effort in my experience.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I dont know if my clan could be so gracious as to go to someone elses house for thanksgiving - we LOVE to have people join us, but I think our traditions mean so much to us that we couldnt even conceive of having it elsewhere. One year my parents were on an extended holiday and my sister and I and the rest of the family organized a dinner at a local restaurant - we are still taking flak for that!

I agree about the leftovers - I make two turkeys - one for the actual meal, and one to carve up to give away to the kids and other relatives who want a hot turkey sandwich the next day. I send them home with a jarful of gravy, and stuffing too!

Umm, could you adopt me?

In seriousness, you sound like an awesome person! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

That stinks. My sister-in-law's husband and kids have various combos of celiac disease and other food allergies and we always try to accomodate them. It's pretty easy to do with minimal effort in my experience.

My sister asked once. When she found out that she had to change Turkey brands she went ... yeah, no. And that was that. My mother asked once when she was still alive and when she found out she had to change the broth... she noped out too.

At least my late mother in law used to make me caprese salad or grilled eggplant and make sure she had everything clear of gluten before she did it. It wasn't a full meal, but it was something.
  • jemhh
    Options

My sister asked once. When she found out that she had to change Turkey brands she went ... yeah, no. And that was that. My mother asked once when she was still alive and when she found out she had to change the broth... she noped out too.

At least my late mother in law used to make me caprese salad or grilled eggplant and make sure she had everything clear of gluten before she did it. It wasn't a full meal, but it was something.

:astonished:

Honeysuckle White turkeys are so easy to find! I admit that they usually cost a tad more (at my grocery anyway) but...wow. Don't know what else to say :smile:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Right? In my immediate family we have vegetarian, dairy/soy free, gluten free, low carb, and low sugar diets. Some of them overlap, but we pretty much accommodate everyone in some way so that we all have plenty of choices.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Move out if you don't like it people eat what they like and should. Some yes should eat a little less but never don't eat what you like, life is way to short for that to be healthy..

Carbs Fat and Protein are just calories no matter the combination just calories when it comes to weight gain or loss.

If you burn 2000 calories a day and eat 1750 a day you will lose weight and if you eat 2250 a day you will gain weight- It is truly that simple!!~
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    this kind of reminds me of when someone who's just fundamentally incompatible with me gets on my friends list and starts posting a bunch of stuff i really couldn't care less about. they mean so well and yet their goodwill is such a genuine burden to me . . .

it's easy to get kind of resentful and pissy just because it's such delicate ground to try and actually address. everyone ends up feeling kind of tattered and bruised, ime.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I didn't know turkey had gluten in it.....like as a preservative?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

I didn't know turkey had gluten in it.....like as a preservative?

They are often injected with a brine, which can include it. And then some turkeys come with gravy packets (and apparently some come pre-stuffed? I think that's weird) that can have gluten in them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Aww, well at least they are trying. That's nice. IDK how often you eat with them but maybe just plan around it if it's not too often. Or as someone else suggested bring a dish to contribute to the table. Make it something healthy and delicious that they may even want the recipe for.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Cook for yourself.
    Eat alone.
    Wallow in your own butterless misery.

My coffee nearly met my keyboard :p

This is such a sad thread. Cooking for someone is one of the most innocent and earnestly nice things we can do for each other. OP is young and will come to regret being so flippant.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    "Can we pass the butter and salt at the table this time? I'm really trying to track my calories so it really helps me if I can add my own. Thank you!!"