Woman, 42, 2 months of trying to bulk

Hi! I am 5'2", 125 lbs. This is my first time lifting weights and I am excited to see the changes in my body. Would like to know if any other woman out there is taking creatine and if there is any recommendations for bulking.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Anna_Be11a wrote: »
    Hi! I am 5'2", 125 lbs. This is my first time lifting weights and I am excited to see the changes in my body. Would like to know if any other woman out there is taking creatine and if there is any recommendations for bulking.

well at 42 it will probably be slow going,we dont have the hormones to make muscle as fast as we would if we were younger and of course we have less testosterone than men so yeah its going to be slow going. I really dont think you need creatine though,a decent amount of protein and a progressive lifting program(as well as a surplus of calories) is probably all that you need.I have been told(and researched) that carbs help as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    To add onto @CharlieBeansmomTracey said, i wouldn't even start with creatine. It won't help you gain muscle per say, but it may help you eek out a few more reps, which can help increase hypertrophy. But if you are fairly new to lifting, you will largely be able to see large amounts of strength gains due to neurological adaptations. Personally, I would start until you get near a plateau and then maybe consider it. If you have been lifting for years, it's possible it can help, but that largely depends on if you are a responder and your meat consumption.

You do want to follow a structured lifting program like: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Have a moderator calorie surplus (roughly 10% over maintenance levels) and adequate protein (~ 125g for you). Carbs are also beneficial, especially when combined with protein (specially leucine).
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    I'm in my 50s & making good gains. No supplements. Just do the work. Stick to it. You'll be great.
  • Anna_Be11a
    Anna_Be11a Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the comments.
  • psuLemon
    As an aside, if you want to learn more about creatine look at: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1
  • Anna_Be11a
    Thank you psulemon. Very great read.
  • robdowns1300
    I'm in my 50s & making good gains. No supplements. Just do the work. Stick to it. You'll be great.

You're a man, your physiology is completely different.

Intended as encouragement.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    What lifting program are you doing?
  • robdowns1300
    Stronglifts 5x5. At home. I have a simple power rack & bench.

-Sorry for slow reply.
  • Anna_Be11a
    edited November 2016
    4 days weights, 2 days cardio. Doing circuits. 2300 calories, 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. Down to 20% body fat. My goal is 13%.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    13% for a woman is show ready and not maintanable day to day without extra "supplements".
  • psuLemon
    4 days weights, 2 days cardio. Doing circuits. 2300 calories, 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. Down to 20% body fat. My goal is 13%.

13% is into essential fats for women. It would cause hormonal issues and probably stop your period. If anything 16% to 18% should be your goal. Also, you really don't need that much protein. Even I don't need that much protein. You will be fine with 20-25% protein (even the 25% is more than 1g/lb). So increase carbs/fats as you like.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm 45 (female) and lifting to gain muscle. I've probably gained about 4 lbs of muscle so far in the last 5 months of serious lifting. I'm doing a "Strong Curves" type program that centres around the hip thrust.

I'm not taking Creatine or any kind of supplement. I'm eating 100 grams of protein each day and lifting 5 times a week. My body looks tighter all over, I have much less "wobbly" fat and my glutes are more round and a bit bigger.

Beginning:

5' 8", 126 lbs, 20% bf, Bust 33", Waist 27", hips 36", 2000 calories per day

Now (5 months):

5'8", 130 lbs, 19% bf, Bust 33", Waist 27", hips 37", 2200 calories per day
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited November 2016
    Hi! I'm 40, 128lbs. I put 5mg of Creatine Monohydrate in my protein shake after a workout. I honestly have no idea if it's given me and edge or not. The only other supplements I use are Whey and a pre-workout. I was at 15.1% body fat this summer (per a Bod Pod test, so not totally accurate) and, although I like the way I looked, it was really difficult to maintain.

Edited to include my height: 5' 6"
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Just to clarify, your goal is 13% after bulking then cutting right? Because while you are bulking your weight and body fat will be going up, not down
  • trigden1991
    sardelsa wrote: »

Just to clarify, your goal is 13% after bulking then cutting right? Because while you are bulking your weight and body fat will be going up, not down

Not necessarily. Bodyfat is a percentage of total weight. If you gain more muscle than fat then your bodyfat would go down.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

Not necessarily. Bodyfat is a percentage of total weight. If you gain more muscle than fat then your bodyfat would go down.

Is that likely for a woman?
  • trigden1991
    leajas1 wrote: »

Is that likely for a woman?

It depends..........
  • Anna_Be11a
    I have been eating lean so hopefully my gains are more muscle than fat. Thanks for all the comments all. Have decided to try creatine and I have increased my weights and see a lot of muscle gain. Happy with the results so far.