Mother Sacrificing Themselves for Family, Dads Say "Ok", I'm going to the Gym

Options

Replies

• RugbyNick6
    RugbyNick6 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's best to just assume that one or both people will workout every night. If someone's partner isn't supportive then that's a huge red flag. Anyone who isn't supportive needs to be called out in it. It's worth a fight. You can't put off getting in shape or let yourself go just because you spouse doesn't want to watch your child on their own for a few hours every week.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

"Long engagements make for long lasting marriages." Some of the best words of wisdom my Dad passed down.

My Dad told me that too. He also said "Arguing with a woman is like teaching a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig," also, "No matter what the issue is NEVER surrender the marriage bed, if she wants to sleep on the couch that is her choice." Mom and Dad were celebrated their 48th anniversary 2 weeks before she died, so it must work. :)
  • MockGainz
    MockGainz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My recent ex never watched our baby. I'd ask him to as if he were a babysitter and I'd still get excuses. He went to the gym almost everyday without asking and when he couldn't he would have the worst attitude. There I was, gaining weight and caring for 3 kids with no help or support from him. Resentment grew and well, he's an ex and now I have no money. I take care of those kids and spend 30 hours a week on job search. I don't know how people can workout from home.
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What did you think was going to happen when you had kids lol?
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »
    As I lurk through the threads...the most common excuse for women who are not living the life they want...life is happening, dealing with family issues and work issues....Not the same for guys. I've dealt with the same...reason I used for my family comes first.

Why do we women do this? I have some ideas, but would like to hear from our cre
    Now that I'm 50+, working at a well paying job, and dear kid at college, working and excelling...I have less to worry about, and doing things for myself. If women keep putting themselves last, they may well die early....This saddens me...Why don't we ask and expext the men in our lives to partner in our efforts to raise a family?

As a man that works really hard at my job, the gym, raising my kids, and making sure my wife gets time to herself - this post bothers me. Women don't commit to family at the expense of themselves; some women do. Men don't ignore their wives' need for time for themselves; some men do. As said before, people in relationships need to communicate about what they want to do and work out a schedule. I'm pretty sure there are some men out there that don't get time to themselves because their wives are too focused on themselves. It sucks for them, too. I guess I don't like being painted with the same brush as crappy husbands. Strikes a nerve because I make a strong effort not to be one. It's 2016 now, we can probably move past stereotypes.

Preach brother!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    As I lurk through the threads...the most common excuse for women who are not living the life they want...life is happening, dealing with family issues and work issues....Not the same for guys. I've dealt with the same...reason I used for my family comes first.

Why do we women do this? I have some ideas, but would like to hear from our crew.

Now that I'm 50+, working at a well paying job, and dear kid at college, working and excelling...I have less to worry about, and doing things for myself. If women keep putting themselves last, they may well die early....This saddens me...Why don't we ask and expext the men in our lives to partner in our efforts to raise a family?

I have no idea why women do this.. I am on the fence...

I am a woman 48 with twin girls, started college this year and I have had no issues with this.. I just started taking care of myself 3 years ago.. My husband is far far away from being crappy. It was my choice all along..
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is why I have no intention of getting married or having children.

Nah, I'm married to the barbells at the gym.

We have romantic, touchy feely time every day, and nobody ever complains about anything...

They also make me look good in front of other people, they comfort all my sorrows, they deal with my anger, they give me happy hormones... What else could you want from the 'perfect partner' :lol:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    TBH, nobody knows what it's like to have a kid until they do. It's a life changing event, and some folks (men and women) just want out, so some don't come home, they spend a lot of time "at work" or "at the gym."

Sure, but then some people have drug or gambling problems, some people kill other people, etc. I try not to get too involved with people who are bad for me.
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that there is a lot of truth to the comment upthread that people with healthy relationships aren't online complaining about them. That also translates into people not necessarily bragging/talking them up in person either, which makes it easy to start mostly seeing bad relationships.

On the other end of the spectrum from what people are talking about in this thread:

Fatalities at Mt. Rainier National Park

EB 6/11/2008 Muir Snowfiled - Became disoriented in a storm. Made a snow shelter. He became hypothermic and died while shielding his wife from the elements.

FB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Fell into creek while crossing on log
    RB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Jumped into Creek to save wife

People sometimes choose to die for their love. Of course there are great relationships!
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    While it might be true that some women sacrifice themselves for their family there are a lot of others that are living off their husband's hard work. I don't think this is a gender issue but a person issue. My ex-wife sure liked to ride my coattails.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Why do we women do this? I have some ideas, but would like to hear from our crew.

Men still haven't been socialized this way. This sort of behavior is usually not done with any ill-intention. They just don't "see" the responsibility as "theirs" in the way a woman typically does.

But women are also still socialized to just stand there and stew. And that's not right, either.

It is up to women to speak up and say, "Yes, go ahead. You can watch Hunter when I go to my Zumba class at 2. Does that work for you?" Or, "Let's sit down and figure out how we can both get time at the gym, and make sure Kaylee has time with us too." Or "No! This is not a good time!"
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Working moms are the ones who struggle to put themselves first. Their husbands seem to know how to stop off and get a drink with his buddies before he gets home. So did she pick a bad husband?

wow. what a grossly inappropriate categorization of men. why do people unhappy with their life/spouse/whatever have to suggest that because something is true or has been true for them, an entire sector of humanity is all the same.

when my son was born, i stopped every hobby/extra curricular activity i was doing to be a part of my son's life and to help my spouse. I still make choices to keep family the priority.

don't say "men" are like this, because most certainly all men are exactly NOT like your categorization.

I am not in a relationship. Just an observation of couples who have children. And yes, perhaps a mischaracterization of SOME men, still it's generally expected that SOME men are like this, less so of a FEW women.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    bigmuney wrote: »
    What did you think was going to happen when you had kids lol?

I for one had no idea of what parenting was going to be like. It is THE hardest job anybody will do.... some do it well, some don't.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    MockGainz wrote: »
    My recent ex never watched our baby. I'd ask him to as if he were a babysitter and I'd still get excuses. He went to the gym almost everyday without asking and when he couldn't he would have the worst attitude. There I was, gaining weight and caring for 3 kids with no help or support from him. Resentment grew and well, he's an ex and now I have no money. I take care of those kids and spend 30 hours a week on job search. I don't know how people can workout from home.

I hope you have a good village of helpers around.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I think that there is a lot of truth to the comment upthread that people with healthy relationships aren't online complaining about them. That also translates into people not necessarily bragging/talking them up in person either, which makes it easy to start mostly seeing bad relationships.

Even healthy relationships can probably look like bad relationships sometimes too.

People looking at my life from outside would probably think my DH is less-than-ideal - sounds like the negative tales above. He works erratic hours (self-employed) and sometimes randomly goes for a drink after work. He has a couple of sport nights a week, and I have none. I do most of the housework/cooking/gardening. I juggle the childcare & most of the kids activites, and make sure they are fed and in bed on time. I don't go to the gym.

But just because we don't split everything 50:50, it doesn't mean we don't have a partnership going on, or that my DH is a bad husband.
    We have made our choices together, and we each have our strengths and preferences.

He actually does loads of activities with the kids, especially as they are getting older, although I do fill in sometimes if his work gets in the way - we are a team.
    For exercise, I prefer walking/hiking and some resistance training at home - I fit that in around school hours, or go with the kids/family.

I might still occasionally complain about him never folding the washing though.... ;)
    And he drives me up the wall sometimes, as I'm sure I do him. We're far from perfect, but we cruise along quite happily in general.

It seems like you are SAHM. No shame in doing what you need to do on your side of the marriage. I'm addressing the work outside of the home mother.....really difficult to juggle job and family life if the partner is less willing to do their share of making the house a home.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I am not in a relationship. Just an observation of couples who have children. And yes, perhaps a mischaracterization of SOME men, still it's generally expected that SOME men are like this, less so of a FEW women.

Generally expected by whom? Sexists?
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I can only change me. I will only change if I want to or need to. After 20 or so years of expectations being built you want to change, your world changed, his not as much. You had a child to care for, he rode along. You did things with and have memories of your child he won't. You blame him for not being different now that you have changed? While the behavior described is boorish at best is it new?
    I stopped exercising, I ate poorly, I got fat. It wasn't my wife, it wasn't the kids or the jobs. Me I did it. I try every day to be the best husband and father I can. I fail miserably some days. I'm changing me so I can try and try longer. I can't imagine my wife posting that about me, but if she never told me or asked me? how would I know?
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Generally expected by whom? Sexists?

Clearly.