What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    "Dark" chocolate.

Despite it being the go to answer for every single ill in the known universe I find it repulsive.

Dark chocolate is trendy now? I've preferred it to milk chocolate since I was a kid. Oh god, did I just become a chocolate hipster?

Wow I am trendy and had no idea! Always loved dark chocolate. 85-90% all the way.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Omg.... Insanely expensive"detox" juices - never. Especially if kale is added - ruined, just ruined. Nuts, just nuts.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Goji berries? My family bought dried ones-- tried it-- never touched it again. It was gross.
    I'm also not a fan of quinoa :(
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    it bears more contempt being heaped upon it

in. i'll drink anything over starbucks, so long as it's not tim hortons brand and it doesn't turn grey when you put the milk in. grey coffee from any origin is a no. can't do that.

on the general level, i don't really like the trend towards thick-textured syrupy coffees with all those 'fruit' overtones. stomach ache in a cup.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee... ewwww
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I refuse to buy LA CROIX, as well as acai bowls.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Alcohol & gasp...."bullet proof coffee" (marketing at its worst...the logic behind it is mind boggling)

lol yes, the bullet proof coffee thing...gross
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I know it's already been said (several times, I think)....but it bears more contempt being heaped upon it:

Starbucks coffee.

I find it completely disgusting. I'd rather drink six-hour old mud from the burnt, stained coffee pot in a gas station.

I'll add a +1 to this. Not digging the Charbucks coffee.

And eggnog flavored things will be trend very soon...blech.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

There are people who claim that butter, lard, and ghee are healthy. You can use coconut oil where you would use any of those, you don't really need a special recipe.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jadowns wrote: »
    I refuse to buy LA CROIX, as well as acai bowls.

I almost posted about this when Hornsby mentioned Old Style.* A friend of mine claimed La Croix was trendy, at least in Philadelphia where he lives. I laughed at him, and then there was an article in Slate about it. Apparently it's getting big outside of the upper midwest (WI and Chicago, at least) area where it's just always been around and isn't trendy at all. I like it, but think the idea that anyone would be excited about it is funny.

*This is actually really relevant, because back in the '90s both Old Style and La Croix were manufactured by the G. Heileman Brewing Co. in La Crosse, WI.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Actually, I will refuse to buy something that is labelled "Gluten Free" when the particular product it is doesn't have gluten in it anyway. I saw a bag of carrots labelled "Gluten Free" FFS. It wasn't even the brand being ironic.

Sometimes you will find gluten in things that you would not think gluten is in. Spices -Gluten, Sausage -Gluten, lip gloss -gluten, deli meat -gluten, French fries - gluten, Corn cips- WTF Gluten.
    Life is hard for celiacs
  • Treece68
    Options
    Coconut Oil, I tried Kale (I did not buy it myself)and nope I'll stick with spinach
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I didn't know LaCroix was trendy. As a fomer soda junkie, sparkling water has saved my *kitten*. My favorite is still a lime Perrier in a glass bottle, though. That is probably SUPER annoying.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I didn't know LaCroix was trendy. As a fomer soda junkie, sparkling water has saved my *kitten*. My favorite is still a lime Perrier in a glass bottle, though. That is probably SUPER annoying.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, LaCroix is relatively new. Or maybe I never noticed before, but everybody seems to be drinking it now.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Being from the Pacific Northwest, LaCroix is relatively new. Or maybe I never noticed before, but everybody seems to be drinking it now.

I'm in Colorado, so it's new-ish here too, at least to me. I just know it's often on sale at Costco and I can buy a crap ton of it at a time.
  • Treece68
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I live in hipsterville. Old Style beer is popular around here. It is gross. I don't get it.

Old Style is in somewhere? Weird. Kind of cool (yeah, it's absolutely terrible), but weird. There's a million old Old Style signs on genuine old dive bars around here still, but I don't think it's trendy even in hipsterville. Too much of a mainstream standby for too long.

And in Oklahoma, I had never seen or heard of it until the last few years. First I saw it on the TV show "Shameless" and just assumed it was one of those prop beers like the cans that just say "BEER" used for the show... Then all of the sudden it started showing it up in the local bars. That and Hamms... Which is also disgusting. PBR has been around here a long time but definitely has had a resurgence as of late.

Old Style is a Chicago (Cubs) thing so... Shameless (US) is in Chicago makes since.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.