Phentermine?

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for like forever now and nothing seems to work. I heard about phentermine as a jump start and I was wondering what you guys thought or if any of you have tried it. Thanks in advance

Replies

• kiaramonroe772
    kiaramonroe772 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My daughter tried it once thru one of these diet centers, it did not work for her. It didn't change her eating habits which are her problem. At first she thought she wasn't as hungry but then she just quit the program as it was too expensive for her budget. I'm trying to get her to join me in my diet. I am on nutrisystem right now and its too costly for her too at the moment, but in our house its the wrong foods and the portions are always to large. When I cook now I am trying to make half of what I did before. I never wanted anyone to leave the table hungry, we always ate like it was thanksgiving. If I bought a baking potato I bought huge ones and everyone got one and smothered it with butter. Now I try and find smaller one and then they have to share. LOL I still learning..

Thank you, eating smaller portions is also my problem as well lol. Cooking smaller amounts is a great idea that I plan on incorporating, thanks again.
  • kiaramonroe772
    kiaramonroe772 Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I mean exactly what I just said. Yes I have been tracking my calories with a healthy goal, I have worked out consistently for about 4 months. I'm no idiot and don't try to imply that I am one. I have weighed and measured myself under the same conditions. If you're here to judge someone, which is indeed sad you can honestly get the *kitten* off the post.

@kommodevaran wasn't implying anything, just pointing out very common things that many overlook when they are trying to lose weight. There was nothing there implying you are an idiot, just a request for more information or for you to ask yourself those serious questions

Thank you, eating smaller portions is also my problem as well lol. Cooking smaller amounts is a great idea that I plan on incorporating, thanks again.

and in the next answer, you give the bolded statement, which indicates that perhaps your eating is not always as on track as you claimed in the first response. If portion sizes are a consistent problem, it can wipe out any deficit you had the rest of the time. Accurately weighing and logging your food can give you a clearer idea of what those larger portions you are eating may do to any deficit you are trying to achieve.

As far as a drug to "kickstart" your diet, it's not going to have any real or long lasting effect if you don't get a handle on the rest of it. You may lose a little in the short term (though doubtful) but it will come back quickly when you revert back to habits that may not be helping achieve your goals.

You might also think about making your food diary public so that if there are any obvious things in there, people can help you out. (incorrect items from the database, etc)

I see what you are saying and I already stated I have to work on portions. However you are not @kommodevaran and can't speak on their behalf. What they said did not seem to be helpful questions in order for me to succeed it seemed to be more judgement than anything else.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My daughter tried it once thru one of these diet centers, it did not work for her. It didn't change her eating habits which are her problem. At first she thought she wasn't as hungry but then she just quit the program as it was too expensive for her budget. I'm trying to get her to join me in my diet. I am on nutrisystem right now and its too costly for her too at the moment, but in our house its the wrong foods and the portions are always to large. When I cook now I am trying to make half of what I did before. I never wanted anyone to leave the table hungry, we always ate like it was thanksgiving. If I bought a baking potato I bought huge ones and everyone got one and smothered it with butter. Now I try and find smaller one and then they have to share. LOL I still learning..

It's amazing weighing food too and learning what a portion really is. I was shocked to see how small an ounce of anything is, yet it is satisfying.

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was on it back in 2007, Phentermine can be a good jump start, but most definitely get your ducks in a row as far as weighing and measuring your food. Your doctor will know if he/she can have you try it, but it can and may cause your blood pressure to go up and once that happens you will not be able to take it again. My doctor had to take me off it after 2 months (I lost 20 lbs during that time). It can also cause other problems, like any other drug people react differently.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    :* cause it won't let me delete this comment... :D
  • blkdawn
    blkdawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who couldn't lose weight, having tried everything out there, including weighing food. Finally joined a program where even the Nurse Practitioner ended up saying, "Wow. Your metabolism is abysmal." Long story short, she put me on phentermine. I have been on it for about 4 months or so now and I'm down about 18 pounds (29 pounds from my highest all-time weight). Zero side effects. That being said, she also decided to add in Victoza and most recently, zinosamide. I've hardly had to adjust my eating because by all accounts, I should have been losing weight all these years; my body just thought differently. I am not promoting any of these medications because I don't know what it'll be like once I stop them. Just wanted to share my experience.

(BTW, there's a difference between phentermine and phen-phen (Fen-Fen?) of the 90s that caused cardiac problems.)
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    Phentermine may actually help...if Interested, look into it and bring it up with your doc!