Thoughts on sugar?

Options

Replies

• shanimay23
    shanimay23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't worry nutmegoreo, I never officially hired her and now definitely won't be!
  • shanimay23
    shanimay23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    P.s thanks for the link :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    shanimay23 wrote: »
    I just watched 'that sugar film' and found it SO educating. The part that surprised me the most was the fact that through the whole experiment his daily calorie intake was the same, yet when eating 'low fat foods' (PACKED with sugar) he put on 8kgs in two months! What I'm wondering is, what about fruit? How does fruit effect the body and does it release the same amount of insulin as refined sugars?

Rubbish!

The only way to put on calories is from eating more calories than you burn. Sugar in and of itself will not cause weight gain.

When it comes to weight loss, your body knows no difference between fruit sugar and table sugar.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Please tell me it wasn't your trainer who put you onto this.

Others have my thoughts covered nicely. Reduce sugar if you wish, but it isn't necessary. Find what works for you.
    It was my trainer!! Hahaha.

At my gym, I hear trainers spreading all kinds of silly stuff.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Please tell me it wasn't your trainer who put you onto this.

Others have my thoughts covered nicely. Reduce sugar if you wish, but it isn't necessary. Find what works for you.
    It was my trainer!! Hahaha.

At my gym, I hear trainers spreading all kinds of silly stuff.

Same here. I've heard the trainers at my gym say so many derpy things that I'd never even consider asking one of them for help. My gym has a FB page and they constantly post woo/derp garbage on it. It's almost like reading Dr. Oz's website or something.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm open minded. I think certain things in food affect certain people differently (just like some people can not process gluten well and diabetic people need to watch what they eat etc). In most cases, however, I feel it is calories in calories out. Maybe he was less active when he ate sugar? or maybe he has a medical issue?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Don't worry nutmegoreo, I never officially hired her and now definitely won't be!

I'm glad. Trainers can be amazing for a much needed push, for their knowledge and to help support you in your fitness needs. I adore mine. But there is a limit on what they should be advising you on. Have fun reading! I learned so much just reading through these forums.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone but I only eat sugar that comes from fruit no refined sugar at all

Color me unoffended.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone but I only eat sugar that comes from fruit no refined sugar at all

None taken, more cookies for me!
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I like sugar.

Oh, apparently fruit is magical because fibre cancels out the "evilness" of sugar.
    giphy.gif

I don't think anyone was saying sugar is evil :)

No food is inherently "good" or "bad". Applying human morals to food is pointless and can lead to disordered eating.

I just prefer to focus on the positives of food (yes, like fibre and nutrients) instead of the parts of food that many people consider negatives! :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Why would anyone be offended by your own personal choices? :huh:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

I have not seen people get offended by comments about what someone individually chooses to do themselves.

Have only ever seen objections ( if that is what you are seeing as offence) when people extrapolate from their own personal choice of doing X to Everyone should do X and Not doing X is bad.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The way sugar is talked about these days it's like we think everyone is sitting around sucking on sugar cubes (I may or may not have done this in cafes as a child...........). It completely ignores that sugar is mostly just an ingredient in an item of food with lots of other stuff, lots of good stuff, that can help people meet their micro and macro goals.

So I'll carry on just eating what I fancy within my goals ta. Hasn't hindered my weight loss. Well. Except for that giant Toblerone type bar of chocolate but I'm laying the blame squarely at Trump and my hormones on that one.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    The way sugar is talked about these days it's like we think everyone is sitting around sucking on sugar cubes (I may or may not have done this in cafes as a child...........). It completely ignores that sugar is mostly just an ingredient in an item of food with lots of other stuff, lots of good stuff, that can help people meet their micro and macro goals.

So I'll carry on just eating what I fancy within my goals ta. Hasn't hindered my weight loss. Well. Except for that giant Toblerone type bar of chocolate but I'm laying the blame squarely at Trump and my hormones on that one.

large.gif
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Hihi. I actually still do that sometimes when my blood sugar crashes so badly that I risk passing out if I don't do something about it quickly. Tracking my food is thankfully helping with avoiding those situations but I keep sugar cubes in my handbag for just that reason.

large.gif

Yes please. :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I like sugar.

Oh, apparently fruit is magical because fibre cancels out the "evilness" of sugar.
    giphy.gif

I don't think anyone was saying sugar is evil :)

No food is inherently "good" or "bad". Applying human morals to food is pointless and can lead to disordered eating.

I just prefer to focus on the positives of food (yes, like fibre and nutrients) instead of the parts of food that many people consider negatives! :)

I don't consider sugar in fruit a negative. That seems like a problematic way of thinking about it. The sweetness is part of why fruit tastes good (the sugar in vegetables and foods like sweet potatoes contributes positively to their taste as well, IMO). The sugar in an apple pie also makes it taste good (IMO), as does the butter and so on, but because it has a lot of calories I will consume less of it or less often. I am also not offended if someone else would rather not spend calories on apple pie.