Space

Options

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Space scares the *kitten* outta me. A lot of times I can't even look up at the sky

And this

jf6pc8xz3nfu.jpg

That looks very peaceful
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The helical model - our solar system is a vortex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU
  • nukephysics
    nukephysics Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nh-global-water-ice.jpg?itok=WwUGjDQn

Picture of Pluto with ice.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Hey look! Another rare selfie from @PlaydohPants

2wzxdbr9rd5v.png
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Space scares the *kitten* outta me. A lot of times I can't even look up at the sky

And this

jf6pc8xz3nfu.jpg

That looks very peaceful

Not for me. Im scared of heights as it is
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Not sure really how into space anyone is, but if you really want to geek out and read cutting edge theories and work, check out:

https://arxiv.org/

You can search for all kinds of AMAZING stuff. I keep up with the life zone planets in Proxima Century with this. The latest was the report on Proxima B atmospheric theories, which ties back into the JWST.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Not sure really how into space anyone is, but if you really want to geek out and read cutting edge theories and work, check out:

You can search for all kinds of AMAZING stuff. I keep up with the life zone planets in Proxima Century with this. The latest was the report on Proxima B atmospheric theories, which ties back into the JWST.

Thanks! I will def check it out!
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Thanks for this!!

Be careful. I get to spiraling down the Google Search rabbit hole trying to understand a bunch of the stuff in the papers. As dumb as I feel reading some of it, is dwarfed by how good I feel when I start understanding it.

Have fun.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I feel the exact same way when I read about new stuff. The Google search rabbit hole may be why this thread has gone quiet :lol:

lol. Like I said in the other thread, I posted about all kinds of really geeky science and space stuff, but it always drops off quickly.

Luckily I work with some really smart science folks at the college and they are always willing to get into things and share their knowledge when I get stuck. Love education.

• Timshel_
    Options
    This is why, according to the International Astronomical Union, Pluto was recategorized....

Basically Pluto doesn't clean up after itself :lol:

It was an interesting lash back in the community when the new criterion were presented at the IAU. If you think about it though, the original draft was from sometime in the early 1900's I think, so with the VAST amount of interstellar knowledge we have gain in the century, it made sense to clarify the classification model.

Really, I never understood why it matter what it is classified as.

• Timshel_
    Options
    Yeah it's really just being more specific. Not saying that we're going to completely disregard Pluto now lol

I do know the one concern is funding for exploration. There are grants that specify planetary bodies only, so that immediately excludes Pluto from getting funding from those sources. Basically the cash cow for Plutonians dried up a bit. That is sure to ruffle feathers.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is all just a conspiracy to raise money for better Photoshopping. Everyone knows it's turtles all the way down.