Open Q&A

Options
Currently answering questions about health, fitness, and habit change.
Post your questions below!

Replies

• sharynmgeorge66
    sharynmgeorge66 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    <3 sorry no questions...just love the fact that you are open to help others
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    <3 sorry no questions...just love the fact that you are open to help others

Thanks! I'm always open to helping others!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on popcorn?
  • Soulwriter
    Soulwriter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    is it possible to increase appetite by working out too much?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    What are your thoughts on popcorn?

Popcorn is delicious! It's high fiber, low calorie, and quite filling. Be mindful of the added sodium or butter though.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Soulwriter wrote: »
    is it possible to increase appetite by working out too much?

Absolutely.
    When you train, you're depleting energy storage within the body. Just make sure you aren't too extreme with the energy out portion!
    Eating too little while exercising too much could lead to the body breaking down active tissue in an effort to slow you down.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    How do you get motivation back once your main goal has been achieved but you still have a long way to go to get to your absolute goal?
    I haven't trained in almost a month oooppss
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    hey, I'm eating popcorn right now. My questions is I'm thinking to lower my rate of loosing to 1/2 lb/wk simply because this cold weather gives me an appitite & i don't want to overeat, I'm a little afraid to do it. I guess i just need to know it'l work
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    hey, I'm eating popcorn right now. My questions is I'm thinking to lower my rate of loosing to 1/2 lb/wk simply because this cold weather gives me an appitite & i don't want to overeat, I'm a little afraid to do it. I guess i just need to know it'l work

Depends on your ability to deal with stress. Some people seem to do just fine dieting down in the winter. Some find themselves fighting physiology! The added cold tends to make people hungry. Add to that the stress from the holidays, family, shopping etc... Throw on a heavy caloric deficit, cardio and exercise and you may be setting yourself up for failure.
    Only thing you can do is test it out.
    Add in the food you need.
    You could always increase your movement during the day to offset the calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    It's 100 degrees and I have a hangover. Should I harden the f up and still go to my first Muay Thai class tonight?

Eat some fruit and hydrate. A hangover is dehydration of the brain.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I'll keep it as is & eat over as if it were 1/2 lb/wk sometime. I just crave something hot in the evenings, like hot oatmeal & fruit an hour before bed(180 calories) after i had my calories for the day Actually I'm not a stress eater at all & not busy on holidays, no shopping or special food. Just for the one day on thanksgiving.Before mfp, I was only eating twice a day(but large servings I guess cuz I didn't lose or gain any weight for years) & actually had to force myself to eat more often since I started this.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I'll keep it as is & eat over as if it were 1/2 lb/wk sometime. I just crave something hot in the evenings, like hot oatmeal & fruit an hour before bed(180 calories) after i had my calories for the day Actually I'm not a stress eater at all & not busy on holidays, no shopping or special food. Just for the one day on thanksgiving.Before mfp, I was only eating twice a day(but large servings I guess cuz I didn't lose or gain any weight for years) & actually had to force myself to eat more often since I started this.

So long as you get your nutrients for the day, meal frequency doesn't really matter.
    I used to force-feed myself breakfast and always crashed around noon.
    For the past 6 years I've been skipping breakfast and I'm definitely more productive in the morning because of it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    It's 100 degrees and I have a hangover. Should I harden the f up and still go to my first Muay Thai class tonight?

Eat some fruit and hydrate. A hangover is dehydration of the brain.

No.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/why-do-we-get-hangovers/
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    How important is protein when you are still 80lbs overweight? I was reading something Lyle Mcdonald said and I'm a little confused. He seemed to imply that muscle waisting is minimal with someone with large body fat %. Can you explain in layman terms please?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    How important is protein when you are still 80lbs overweight? I was reading something Lyle Mcdonald said and I'm a little confused. He seemed to imply that muscle waisting is minimal with someone with large body fat %. Can you explain in layman terms please?

This is a good question .. could you ask in another thread ? been thinking about protein too

Good luck
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

This is a good question .. could you ask in another thread ? been thinking about protein too

Good luck

Where do you suggest I ask? Another existing thread or open a new one?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

Good luck

I'm reading over the OP and thinking johnhunt615's question is totally appropriate for this thread.
  • Misschuchii
    Misschuchii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are the best tips you could offer for someone that is starting out with 60+ pounds to lose and just starting out at the gym?