Open Q&A

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    What are the best tips you could offer for someone that is starting out with 60+ pounds to lose and just starting out at the gym?

Hire one of the coaches in your gym for a session or two, to teach you the basic movements. As you lose weight, your center of gravity changes and you'll want to prioritize bodyweight exercises first.
    Create good static balance and improve range of motion before you add resistance to your regiment.
    In the beginning, a good mix of cardio and bodyweight exercises will help get you started.
    3-4 hours a week should be fine, as long as you are walking on off days.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    @helloisdan

How important is protein when you are still 80lbs overweight? I was reading something Lyle Mcdonald said and I'm a little confused. He seemed to imply that muscle waisting is minimal with someone with large body fat %. Can you explain in layman terms please?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    How important is protein when you are still 80lbs overweight? I was reading something Lyle Mcdonald said and I'm a little confused. He seemed to imply that muscle waisting is minimal with someone with large body fat %. Can you explain in layman terms please?

It's context driven really.
    Chances are you'll maintain a good portion of lean mass as long as you are resistance training while dieting down.
    Shoot for at least 1g/kg of body weight, spread out throughout the day. Protein has other uses in the body besides maintaining skeletal muscle so it's probably one of the most important macros to eat. Also you'll read about the 30g per meal "ceiling" but don't fret over it. If you have a meal that equates to 60g and one that equates to 20g, you'll be fine.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    It's 100 degrees and I have a hangover. Should I harden the f up and still go to my first Muay Thai class tonight?

Eat some fruit and hydrate. A hangover is dehydration of the brain.

No.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/why-do-we-get-hangovers/

"So, dehydration probably isn’t responsible for the majority of your hangover, but it might give you a banging headache. These are an unfortunate by-product of your body attempting to restore fluid levels. Your blood vessels narrow, restricting the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain, which then tries to compensate by dilating its blood vessels, which can cause swelling. Although the brain itself can’t feel pain, the discomfort may result from pain receptors in the lining that surrounds our brain."

Lots of probably...

• leanjogreen18
    edited November 2016
    Options

Chances are you'll maintain a good portion of lean mass as long as you are resistance training while dieting down.
    Shoot for at least 1g/kg of body weight, spread out throughout the day. Protein has other uses in the body besides maintaining skeletal muscle so it's probably one of the most important macros to eat. Also you'll read about the 30g per meal "ceiling" but don't fret over it. If you have a meal that equates to 60g and one that equates to 20g, you'll be fine.

Thank you. So this brings me to my next question. How much resistance training? Ballpark. Right now the only thing I do is walk 2-3 miles 2-3x per week and plank for 1 min 3-4 times per week.

Thanks in advance!

ETA - 5'4" 50 CW 199 SW 233
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    It's 100 degrees and I have a hangover. Should I harden the f up and still go to my first Muay Thai class tonight?

No.

"So, dehydration probably isn’t responsible for the majority of your hangover, but it might give you a banging headache. These are an unfortunate by-product of your body attempting to restore fluid levels. Your blood vessels narrow, restricting the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain, which then tries to compensate by dilating its blood vessels, which can cause swelling. Although the brain itself can’t feel pain, the discomfort may result from pain receptors in the lining that surrounds our brain."

Lots of probably...

Yes, plus the sentence just before the one you quote introduces electrolyte imbalance as a strawman substitute for dehydration itself, before admitting that dehydration "probably" does account at least in part for the headache.

Then after the part you quote it goes on to talk about "other symptoms" of a hangover. While I might include nausea in a hangover, once you've hit the vomiting stage, I'd call it alcohol poisoning, not a hangover.

The whole iflscience article cited by the other poster seems like a strawman argument -- I've never heard anybody who talked about dehydration as the reason for a hangover (headache) attribute it to electrolyte imbalances caused by dehydration or try to account for nausea and vomiting based on dehydration.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    What YT'ers do you recommend to teach fundamentals on strength training like squats, deadlifts, etc. for women?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nm
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Thank you. So this brings me to my next question. How much resistance training? Ballpark. Right now the only thing I do is walk 2-3 miles 2-3x per week and plank for 1 min 3-4 times per week.

Thanks in advance!

NM - I found what I needed via search. Thank you!
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    so i currently weigh 211lbs and according to the BMI calculator my heaviest should be 150lbs. now i lost 30 lbs a few years ago ( put back on due to a hip injury) and i decided to stop losing weight at 160 lbs because actually any thinner and i would have looked ill. so my question is.... how much notice should i take of bmi calculations.?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    What YT'ers do you recommend to teach fundamentals on strength training like squats, deadlifts, etc. for women?

Anything by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler.
    The amount if info they pack in each book covers everything you need. Their books start at $8 and the latest cane out last week for $15.
    so i currently weigh 211lbs and according to the BMI calculator my heaviest should be 150lbs. now i lost 30 lbs a few years ago ( put back on due to a hip injury) and i decided to stop losing weight at 160 lbs because actually any thinner and i would have looked ill. so my question is.... how much notice should i take of bmi calculations.?

BMI is useful when you can't measure or use calipers. Once you're able to use those tools, I wouldn't worry about it.
    BMI is useless the leaner you get.

Thanks in advance!

Look into Convict Conditioning on YouTube or a starter program from Al Kavedo. It's practical strength and when done right, you'll bulletproof your joints in the process. Best of luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

No.

Lots of probably...

Yes, plus the sentence just before the one you quote introduces electrolyte imbalance as a strawman substitute for dehydration itself, before admitting that dehydration "probably" does account at least in part for the headache.

Then after the part you quote it goes on to talk about "other symptoms" of a hangover. While I might include nausea in a hangover, once you've hit the vomiting stage, I'd call it alcohol poisoning, not a hangover.

The whole iflscience article cited by the other poster seems like a strawman argument -- I've never heard anybody who talked about dehydration as the reason for a hangover (headache) attribute it to electrolyte imbalances caused by dehydration or try to account for nausea and vomiting based on dehydration.

I agree. Alteriele probably looking for snark.

Here's some decent info.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5089.php
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Looks like you're looking for good YouTube videos.
    Subscribe to Jen Sinkler, Molly Galbraith, Cassandra Forsythe.
    For bodyweight subscribe to calisthenic kings, Al Kavedo, Francisco Vaccaro.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Thank you for the book suggestions and the YT recommendations and for reaching out. I'll do some research on these.

Thanks again!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Thank you for the book suggestions and the YT recommendations and for reaching out. I'll do some research on these.

Thanks again!

Molly Galbraith also runs Girls Gone Strong.
    Get involved in their groups on Facebook if you can. Huge community!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sorry to jump in but Nia Shanks (lift like a girl) also has an awesome attitude and quite a few good programs (and has YouTube videos). I <3 her. She was one of the founders of Girls Gone Strong but has gone out on her own.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Sorry to jump in but Nia Shanks (lift like a girl) also has an awesome attitude and quite a few good programs (and has YouTube videos). I <3 her. She was one of the founders of Girls Gone Strong but has gone out on her own.

Completely agree!
    I could list about 30-40 awesome trainers that happen to be women.
    Molly is getting ready to release 20+ hours of seminars. Looks to be a great buy!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Completely agree!
    I could list about 30-40 awesome trainers that happen to be women.
    Molly is getting ready to release 20+ hours of seminars. Looks to be a great buy!

I have done 3 Nia programs and really enjoyed them.
  • meaghancoltman
    meaghancoltman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When trying to loose weight should you up protein and fat and minimize carbs??
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here's my Q: how do you block trolls on this site??