Cardio

Options

Replies

• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am generally in all aspects of life a bit less emotional than your regular female so I see absolutely nothing wrong with simply stating everyone should exercise every day as a fact (?!?!??) and see no "snobbery" associated with that at all. I think you peeps are reading a wee little too far into this whole thread and people are getting extra sensitive (I am probably once again insensitive saying that?!) Damn I dunno, I am out.

Regardless the title of this thread is actually "Cardio" and the OP wants to exercise, so not sure how we got here :D

Have a fab day I will go somewhere else and continue my exercise policing, I quite like that term :p
  • jolive7
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Weight is lost by a eating in a caloric deficit, exercise is for health.

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

Some can't though.

I don't agree its a matter of priority. And even though there may be a very minute percentage of the world who are that physically disabled that they cannot exercise and I guarantee that they are not on my fitness pal forums.

I agree completely. I don't buy the "can't" thing at all. I was unable to walk for 6 weeks and found work outs I could do to maintain health. I did seated cardio (lots of them can be found online) and I did hand weights. If you can move you can take steps towards fitness.

And some cannot walk at all.

Did you miss the part where I was working out when unable to walk at all? That was my entire point in my post. When I couldn't walk I found ways to remain active despite being limited to my couch.

You think you are the only one who could not walk? Wow, six whole weeks?

Wow is right. Lol. You are ignoring the point and out to try and pick a fight. Sorry not interested. The point was, is, and will continue to be that even if you cant walk you can find ways to be active. I did and know others who have worked around disabilities both temporary and permanent.

Not picking a picking a fight, I'm just saying there are people that cannot exercise.

OP is obviously not one of them tho... and that is who we are replying to
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

BS. There are those who simply cannot exercise due to illness, extreme obesity or disability and they lose weight just fine. What should they do, eyerolls? Facepalms? At the moment, I am just running a deficit through diet due to babying an illness and injury, but sometimes, I like to split up my deficit between exercise f I feel like eating a little more or actually feel like cardioing that day. I usually just lift.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Stating that EVERYONE should exercise everyday is very short sighted. No there definitely are people who can not exercise at all let alone every day.
  • jolive7
    Options
    Stating that EVERYONE should exercise everyday is very short sighted. No there definitely are people who can not exercise at all let alone every day.

And I wrote on this thread that I agree there is a population who cant but they are most likely not on this forum...
  • jolive7
    Options
    Not interested in beef with da mamas no more! Why so argumentative ladies :D
  • singingflutelady
    Options

And I wrote on this thread that I agree there is a population who cant but they are most likely not on this forum...

There are quite a few of us with chronic illnesses in this dorum
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm not into exercise shaming either. If you're on MFP at some point I'm sure exercise wasn't a part of your daily life either. So spare me.

OP, to answer your original question, the right amount of cardio is the amount you can and will do consistently. Any amount will help you increase your calorie deficit and improve your overall health.

I wouldn't recommend going from not exercising at all to trying to do an hr of cardio a day, for example. You should start slow doing as much as you can as often as you can, but not so much that you overdo. Without knowing your level of fitness it's impossible to say how much would be too much, but anything in excess of what you are currently doing would be beneficial.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! When I was severely underweight and hospitalized for an eating disorder with a feeding tube shoved up my nose, I was forbidden from exercising!! Heck, I was forced to stay in a wheelchair at some point to avoid expending energy. Exercising is an amazing thing, and I love it now but for some it just isn't healthy or helpful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a catch 22 for me. The more i exercise, the more i can eat. But the more i exercise the more i Want to eat, and my appetite usually overtakes my calories burned when i amp up the cardio .

I need to find that nice happy medium where i get maybe a couple hundred extra calories, and stop striving for as many exercise cals as i can humanly handle 7 days a week 365 days a year.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Thank you!! When I was severely underweight and hospitalized for an eating disorder with a feeding tube shoved up my nose, I was forbidden from exercising!! Heck, I was forced to stay in a wheelchair at some point to avoid expending energy. Exercising is an amazing thing, and I love it now but for some it just isn't healthy or helpful.

I didn't have a feeding tube but I was forbidden (for good reason) from exercise too. I also experienced a time when I was in a bad crohn's flare when I had severe malabsorption and anaemia (my serum iron was zero for 8 months, my hemoglobin was 6) also had very low albumin when I was severely underweight and didn't gain even while on tpn (nutrition through a picc line) and high dose Prednisone. The only exercise I could get in was walking to the bathroom. My heart would race and I'd get out of breath while doing nothing because of my anaemia and all my joints hurt. I don't think exercising would have been a good choice at that time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Not interested in beef with da mamas no more! Why so argumentative ladies :D

You put out a definitive statement. When you make such a statement, it's liable to be met with disagreement. That's the way such things work. If you're not prepared the defend it, the adult thing to do is to back off from it, not to insult the other parties in the conversation and and act like they are inciting drama when you're the one who precipitated it with your absolutist thinking.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Allow me to refresh your memory.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options

Um, you do realize if you eat less than you burn, that's a calorie deficit? If you eat the same amount of calories you burn in a day (yes even with exercise) you'll maintain weight? And if you eat more than that you'll gain weight?
    Again, it doesn't matter how much you burn doing exercise. It matters more on how much you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Wonderful things happen to a body when good, whole food is being eaten, either on maintenance or on caloric deficit. Add some weight training and weightloss is guaranteed, there's more benefit in it than just doing cardio.

But to answer your initial question - 20mins STEADY cardio 3 times a week is not enough for anything. Amp it up to 40mins and see how it goes.
    People lose weight all the time without exercise. And the food doesn't have to be whole foods.
    Exercise is still for fitness and health and is great to add while losing weight, but it's not necessary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png