Open Q&A

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    RayvenLark wrote: »
    Does the amount of carbs consumed really matter for weight loss? If someone ate 1200 calories of mostly carbs, would they still be able to lose weight?

You can lose weight on high fat or high carb or ZONE or weight watchers or paleo or vegetarian/vegan.....

Protein is still in my opinion the best macro hands down.
    Just the slightest research into each macronutrient will teach you the benefits of consuming a variety of foods, colorful fruits and veggies, lean meat, plant based fats and Omega 3s from fish.

You get the point. Eat what you can stick with in the long run.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Dan, I'd like to apologise. I misread your original post, I thought you meant this thread was open for anyone to answer! I am now a little embarrassed, thats what I get from joining a thread when its been running...oops! :/

When you referred to me hijacking your thread I was mystified until I realised you were the OP. Doh!

Sorry once again,
    Ruth
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Which sub forum have you been posting in to have reached 5.5k posts without me having any recollection of seeing you here before?

ETA: Nevermind. I remember you from way back in the day.

Been a member since 2011 I believe. Took a break for a while and now I'm back.

Clearly he has a lot of time on his hands...lol

Between studying, running two businesses, working with clients.... Plenty of time! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    RayvenLark wrote: »
    Does the amount of carbs consumed really matter for weight loss? If someone ate 1200 calories of mostly carbs, would they still be able to lose weight?

Being in calorie deficit is all that matters. If we eat less than we burn we lose. 1200 cals of carbs would probably mean the person in question would feel hungry or should that be hangry!

@RunRutheeRun
    Please look at this map and understand that while a large portion of members may be under reporting their intake, there are hundreds if not thousands of reasons why they aren't losing weight.
    http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Dan, I'd like to apologise. I misread your original post, I thought you meant this thread was open for anyone to answer! I am now a little embarrassed, thats what I get from joining a thread when its been running...oops! :/

When you referred to me hijacking your thread I was mystified until I realised you were the OP. Doh!

Sorry once again,
    Ruth

You're fine! We're mostly one big happy dysfunctional family here. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @helloitsdan ahhh you forgave me...aw shucks, you aint so bad :smile:

all is well in my world again :smiley:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

What is OP was taking Prednisone? Or any other drug that effects weight loss? You could be in a deficit and gaining weight.

Please stop hijacking this thread.

Drugs that affect weight loss do so by affecting the calories out side of CICO. If you are gaining weight then you are not in a deficit. You might think you are. An internet calculator might tell you that you are. But you're not.

Depends on the drugs. A shift in hormones could effect weight loss. Nutrient deficiency could effect weight loss. High stress can reduce RMR effecting weight loss. It's more complex than CICO. Click the link above and look through a few of the sections. Calories is a very small portion.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    @helloitsdan ahhh you forgave me...aw shucks, you aint so bad :smile:

all is well in my world again :smiley:

:P
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

What is OP was taking Prednisone? Or any other drug that effects weight loss? You could be in a deficit and gaining weight.

Drugs that affect weight loss do so by affecting the calories out side of CICO. If you are gaining weight then you are not in a deficit. You might think you are. An internet calculator might tell you that you are. But you're not.

Prednisone makes you ravenously hungry so very very easy to eat on a surplus without trying . It also makes you retain fluid like crazy so that would definitely cause weight gain on a deficit. I'm odd though as I didn't gain on high dose Prednisone (was on it 4 months).
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi, Dan!

Thanks for answering everyone's questions--the information is much appreciated!

I come from a family background that's pretty dysfunctional in regard to eating, body image, and weight. Most everyone in my family is overweight or obese, but everyone still talks about how the thinner you can get the better you are. All to say, I'm having (and trying) to relearn everything, but it can often be confusing, what with quite a bit of conflicting information out there.

So my first question concerns what you would consider a realistic and healthy goal weight for me to aim for, ultimately.

I'm 5'8, currently 200 LB, I've lost 8 LB over the last four weeks. The CDC BMI calculator says that a healthy weight range would be 122-164 pounds (which seems like a pretty broad range). I used to the Fat 2 Fit tools to calculate my BF% (32.6%) and their target goal weight for me, and they said a good target for me would be 171 pounds, which confused me because that's actually within the overweight category for the BMI chart. So all to say . . . how do you calculate a realistic and healthy goal weight or weight range?

Secondly, What do you think about the idea of "eat more to weigh less"? It sounds like an interesting idea to me (especially because I get cranky at 1200 calories), but I also know that starvation mode is a myth, so is the idea of finding your true TDEE and only cutting a certain percentage also a myth, or can you cut as low as is healthy (so not a VLCD) and your metabolism will just deal with it?

Thanks so much!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Hi, Dan!

Thanks for answering everyone's questions--the information is much appreciated!

I come from a family background that's pretty dysfunctional in regard to eating, body image, and weight. Most everyone in my family is overweight or obese, but everyone still talks about how the thinner you can get the better you are. All to say, I'm having (and trying) to relearn everything, but it can often be confusing, what with quite a bit of conflicting information out there.

So my first question concerns what you would consider a realistic and healthy goal weight for me to aim for, ultimately.

I'm 5'8, currently 200 LB, I've lost 8 LB over the last four weeks. The CDC BMI calculator says that a healthy weight range would be 122-164 pounds (which seems like a pretty broad range). I used to the Fat 2 Fit tools to calculate my BF% (32.6%) and their target goal weight for me, and they said a good target for me would be 171 pounds, which confused me because that's actually within the overweight category for the BMI chart. So all to say . . . how do you calculate a realistic and healthy goal weight or weight range?

Secondly, What do you think about the idea of "eat more to weigh less"? It sounds like an interesting idea to me (especially because I get cranky at 1200 calories), but I also know that starvation mode is a myth, so is the idea of finding your true TDEE and only cutting a certain percentage also a myth, or can you cut as low as is healthy (so not a VLCD) and your metabolism will just deal with it?

Thanks so much!

Great work on getting started!
    The people around you are your biggest influence.

For the first part, and this cones from experience, just focus on the here and now. Think of it like a lighthouse in the distance. You know it's eventually your destination but the road will be windy!
    Process oriented goals and installing lifelong habits should be your focus.
    Are you sleeping well?
    Are you moving during the day?
    Are you arresting any nutritional deficiencies using multivitamin and fish oil?
    Are you getting stronger?
    Are you eating mostly whole foods 70-80% of the time?
    Eventually, as you lose fat and get stronger, the weight range falls by the wayside.
    Embrace the process and no matter how windy that road gets, keep moving forward.

Kiki and the Eat More To Weigh Less popped up around the same time In Place of a Roadmap.
    We were chastised for suggesting people eat the maximum amount if food possible while losing fat. We were also chastised for suggesting reverse dieting.
    I personally have people eat at their goal weight maintenance while working with them and it truly works.
    Thing is, you need to decide what you're willing to stick with for the long run.

Check my profile for links to In Place of a Roadmap if you're interested in learning more.
    I'm getting ready to produce a 2017 update around New Years.

Hope that helps.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Depends on the drugs. A shift in hormones could effect weight loss. Nutrient deficiency could effect weight loss. High stress can reduce RMR effecting weight loss. It's more complex than CICO. Click the link above and look through a few of the sections. Calories is a very small portion.

All of those things are factors in calories out (with the exception of some things that cause increased appetite which is calories in). It all falls within the confines of CICO.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Outside of significant amounts of fluid retention are you aware of any condition that exists (including medication, all diseases, any hormonal dysfunction) that can cause the accumulation of tissue mass (the kind of weight gain we care about) when energy in is less than energy out?

Lack of sleep, high stress, medication can cause weight gain SS. Like I said before, people throw CICO at everything. It's not always the answer. Of course I can go with n=1 and talk about my wife who maintains her obesity eating 800-1200kcal a day. @SideSteel you of all people understand that we need to employ critical thinking and look at the total picture.
    Does CICO matter? Sure? Is it everything it's cracked up to be on this forum? Absolutely not.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Outside of significant amounts of fluid retention are you aware of any condition that exists (including medication, all diseases, any hormonal dysfunction) that can cause the accumulation of tissue mass (the kind of weight gain we care about) when energy in is less than energy out?

Lack of sleep, high stress, medication can cause weight gain SS. Like I said before, people throw CICO at everything. It's not always the answer. Of course I can go with n=1 and talk about my wife who maintains her obesity eating 800-1200kcal a day. @SideSteel you of all people understand that we need to employ critical thinking and look at the total picture.
    Does CICO matter? Sure? Is it everything it's cracked up to be on this forum? Absolutely not.

Just to be clear.

Do you believe bodyfat can be created in a deficit of calories?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Just to be clear.

Do you believe bodyfat can be created in a deficit of calories?

No. However I believe it can come to a crawl when systemic issues are present ie nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalance, sleep issues, and medications.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    And for the record I love the obesity system influences map and I've posted it before myself. It doesn't invalidate energy balance though, it points out the complexities influencing food consumption habits and energy expenditure.

I was listening to Evil Sugar Radio when it was pointed out by a therapist who deals with obesity. It's one of the reasons I've switched from college level nutrition to psychology.