How many steps do you take per day

Options

Replies

• ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex 2 and I average between 10,000 to 15,000 steps per day on purpose as I have a sedentary
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I never cared about the steps until this thread! :p

Ok, so at 5'2", the variance in stride depending on the song or the pathetic tiny, little steps I take when I'm doing the jogging portion of my walking dvd (I also don't walk in place. I pace my apartment to the music) wouldn't up the step count?

It's weird tho because when I was using the chargehr, the step count was close to the One's but my tdee was between 500 and 1000 calories more.

(Also, sorry to the OP for highjacking the thread. I didn't mean to! :) )
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ^
    [/quote]
    @SusanMFindlay
    [b]Projecting from your numbers, you'd get 4200 calories burned for a 70,000 step day. And like you said, you're tiny! I can easily see a larger person getting upwards of 6K or 7K calories burned for a geniune 70K step day.[/quote]

oh yes you're right and my numbers were only a random guess rather than the actual math. (I would like to say for the one day I did 40k my TDEE according to Fitbit was 2600, so you can see why I would choose not to repeat many days like that as I was much hungrier and would have needed to eat MORE than 2600 LOL

What I was wondering was if the person who does 70k a day, how many calories they eat? thats what I would be interested in hearing. And even how their rate of loss is?

OP sorry for hijacking the thread also, its just fascinating imo :smile:

• Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    About 15-20k. I use the Samsung health app though, not sure how accurate it is?
  • glassyo
    Options
    ^
    @SusanMFindlay
    [b]Projecting from your numbers, you'd get 4200 calories burned for a 70,000 step day. And like you said, you're tiny! I can easily see a larger person getting upwards of 6K or 7K calories burned for a geniune 70K step day.[/quote]

oh yes you're right and my numbers were only a random guess rather than the actual math. (I would like to say for the one day I did 40k my TDEE according to Fitbit was 2600, so you can see why I would choose not to repeat many days like that as I was much hungrier and would have needed to eat MORE than 2600 LOL

What I was wondering was if the person who does 70k a day, how many calories they eat? thats what I would be interested in hearing. And even how their rate of loss is?

OP sorry for hijacking the thread also, its just fascinating imo :smile:

[/quote]

That was me and I'm not even sure I can answer that question! I've been going over an excel spreadsheet I keep of my daily fitbit number, calories consumed, the daily deficit, and my weight on weigh in day and...

In 2015, I lost 12 lbs. I'm pretty sure this was when I first got my One and it was overestimating exercise calories. My weekly average deficit was about 3000 a week. I gained and lost the same lb, gained, lost, lost, etc. :)

Same in the beginning of 2016 until I started recalculating the exercise calories from another website. I kept losing with a weekly deficit of about 2600. Mostly a half a lb at once.

Then I entered special snowflake status when I hit 105 since I started that 1000 calorie deficit mind game thing and kept losing. I still think that was my ulcerative colitis tho.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I use a Plat M400 watch...I usually get anywhere from 9K-12K in each day. I work a desk job.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    On a good day about 13,000, my average though is 7,800. I use the Garmin Vivosmart HR. I love it.. Ihave noo connections on it yet though (still a newbie)

My old standard vivosmart gave ridiculously low calorie burns... like 77 calories for a 5 mi. walk (3.5mph).
    Used my new Vivosmart HR to track a 4.60 mi walk..1.25 hrs, and it wants to give me 795 calories burned. I want to love it, but it seems that they are grossly unrealistic. My Samsung SHealth tends to have the most accurate mIles & calorie counts. Also, my garmin will rack up steps if I'm chopping vegetables using that hand..
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I average between 8-10,000 generally.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I average between 8-10,000 generally.

Thats where Im at too
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    If I don't do a workout, I average only 4k because I live near my office. I work out 4 times a week though
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Track with my phone
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @glassyo thanks for replying :smile:
    The lighter we are the less we burn :/
    I suppose I was just wondering if you ate back all the calories for high steps days? And what burn/TDEE does your tracker give you for exceptionally high step days?

Ruth
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My goal is 10,000 steps per day but I don't always hit it. I average about 9,000/day. I track with Fitbit Charge HR.
  • RonnieLynch1
    RonnieLynch1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use the Microsoft Band 2 and love it. I usually hit 10k steps a day, not counting my run. Just everyday work steps.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Trina2040 wrote: »
    I've committed to 20,000 steps every day and always hit 20,000 to 21,000. For me, that's about 8+ miles. I'm short and old. I tried to do 25,000 per day but that was just too much every single day. Whew!

Oops, forgot to add that I track with a Fitbit Blaze.
  • glassyo
    Options
    @glassyo thanks for replying :smile:
    The lighter we are the less we burn :/
    I suppose I was just wondering if you ate back all the calories for high steps days? And what burn/TDEE does your tracker give you for exceptionally high step days?

Ruth

@RunRutheeRun oh, god, the lower calorie burn sucks! At one point I just wanted to gain weight so I could burn more. :)

The 70,000 steps gives me around 2400 calories and I eat up to that and probably over because of the cheating. That's really what the weekend deficit is for...to cover the cheating.

Weekends show around 100,000 steps and 2800 to 2900 calories burned. And, execpt for showering and stopping off at the market, I seriously barely sit down at all. Some of that is catching up on tv shows on my tablet while pacing tho.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    3,000-7,000
    Cheap pedometer
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @glassyo I take it you are young? My joints would be protesting mightily for all those steps - its why i had to cut back from 21k to 14k which is helping big time. I would be concerned that what you're doing could have an adverse effect long term? As much as its great being active we have to look after our bodies/joints as we age imo. (Think as i get older i am more aware of this)
  • glassyo
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun I'm 29...plus 23 soooooooo not so young. :)

I actually have dysfunctional tendons but I really don't exert myself all that much with these walks anyway which is why I spend so much time doing it. I'd have taken up jogging/running but I trip over things just standing still and leaning against a wall so my walks are a safe compromise (I still trip over things tho :) )
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    You sound like me @glassyo, my hubby says I'm accident prone/clumsy (mostly down to me doing things too fast)

I wouldn't say I feel much effort when doing my steps either but my knees say differently lol

Happy stepping :smile: