Replies

• soda80
    soda80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    7 day average 10840 :) Fitbit Charge HR
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Ok, well, weekdays alone, I do a walking dvd before work, take a couple breaks at work and walk, walk during my lunch hour (the full hour), 3.5 hours outside after work, more of the walking dvd after that.

And that's all just purposeful exercise. :)

I mapped my various outside routes and, yeah, that alone is around 10 miles. (I average 3 miles an hour.)

I played with my stride length on the fitbit site because at one point it was over estimating my calories/distance but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the actual number of steps taken.

Plus, I'm short so I have to take more steps. :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I average about 14,500 steps a day. 2 walks of about 35 minutes (I have dogs) and then my ordinary daily routines.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I average around 20000/day after deliberately scaling back from 25000 measured with a Fitbit Surge. Best ever was just over 40000 steps which gave me somewhere in the region of 480 active minutes and killed my feet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ok, well, weekdays alone, I do a walking dvd before work, take a couple breaks at work and walk, walk during my lunch hour (the full hour), 3.5 hours outside after work, more of the walking dvd after that.

I mapped my various outside routes and, yeah, that alone is around 10 miles. (I average 3 miles an hour.)

I played with my stride length on the fitbit site because at one point it was over estimating my calories/distance but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the actual number of steps taken.

10 miles (16 km) is about 20,000 steps (maybe 22,800 steps with a smaller stride) ... not 70,000 steps.

When I was in the step challenge, I walked 1 km on my way to work, 4-5 km at lunch, and another 4 km or so after work. Plus I went the long way around every time I got up to use the toilet or get myself a coffee several times a day. Plus I climbed anywhere from 20 to 35 flights of stairs. Plus I paced the house in the evenings.

The most I could manage was about 16,000 steps doing all that using a 0.8 metre stride ... the default stride is 0.7 metres.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've recently cut back from 20K+ daily to 15k (my joints were protesting a lot but I've been actively doing 20+ for 6 days a week for 3 years.) I also have a desk job.

I use a Fitbit.

The most steps I ever did in one day was 45k - I was in a step challenge! and oh boy did my legs ache.

I still get surprised when I see Fitbit friends doing 30k a day, I know how much hard work it takes to even do 20 and our bodies will not thank us in the long run.

I am hoping to eventually cut back to 10k - but for now I need the calorie burn so I'll do 15k for now.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a fitbit and average 70,000 steps a day.

(But I have no life and like to eat. :))

We all like to eat LOL but I found that I wasn't gaining an awful lot more calories from so many extra steps and with less steps come the feeling of being less hungry.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR, avg between 20-25K most days. Have broken 40k once or twice.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

10 miles (16 km) is about 20,000 steps (maybe 22,800 steps with a smaller stride) ... not 70,000 steps.

When I was in the step challenge, I walked 1 km on my way to work, 4-5 km at lunch, and another 4 km or so after work. Plus I went the long way around every time I got up to use the toilet or get myself a coffee several times a day. Plus I climbed anywhere from 20 to 35 flights of stairs. Plus I paced the house in the evenings.

The most I could manage was about 16,000 steps doing all that using a 0.8 metre stride ... the default stride is 0.7 metres.

Truthfully, I never paid attention to how many steps I take (or don't take). I only care about calories burned.

But a lot of the time, depending on the music, I'll take shorter/more steps and at a pretty fast pace which will add up.

It's probably off (and, come to think of it, I do manually adjust the calories burned during my longer walks) and maybe one day I'll try to manually count the number of steps just to see but it's never been that big of a concern.
  • glassyo
    Options

We all like to eat LOL but I found that I wasn't gaining an awful lot more calories from so many extra steps and with less steps come the feeling of being less hungry.

LOL. I'm alllllways hungry. But I tend to mindlessly eat (moreso lately since my doctor told me to gain some weight) so the extra moving helps.

It also drives me crazy to have to just sit at work. I get really antsy if I can't move around more than a few steps at a time. And we have a really small office. So I feel like I have to make up for it. :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Not that many. I prefer to ride a bike.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options

glassyo do you run a marathon everyday

because that is insane. And I love it.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I have a vivoactive hr, average about 7000, highest was over 24000, not sure exactly what I did that day...:) I have no connections either, still trying to figure it out.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No clue, and don't care...I find "steps" rather arbitrary...
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

20k steps for me is 10-11 miles....no way your walking 70k. Theres not enough hours in a day to do that and anything else o_O

If your being serious you think check your settings on step length

Don't confuse "not usual" with "not possible." :smile:

For Anish, that “keep pushing” meant averaging an amazing 44.5 miles per day for 60 straight days. I asked her how she got into such epic hiking.

http://www.adventuresnw.com/heather-anish-anderson-speed-queen-of-the-pct/
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I never said not possible XD When i post i walk alot people yell at me for "exercising to much" and yet 70k steps a day would take all day and no ones doing that i love it XD
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    People yelled at you for exercising too much? :disappointed:
  • Krislynell
    Krislynell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I range between . 6500 to @11,500 daily.i use a Fit bit One which synch to mfp.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I average 10k a week fairly consistently throughout the year. Between June-August, my average daily was 22k.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Between 15-20K. I use a pedometer.