How many steps do you take per day

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    30k-35k with a Fitbit One.

I pace while watching movies instead of sitting on my butt all day.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My average currently is 9,000...but it's usually more like 11,000. I was hungover Sunday... :(

Sidenote: Don't save all your calories for the day to go to a party, only to get there and find out they have nothing to eat, but copious amounts of booze, then proceed to drink said booze. You will have a bad time.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No clue, and don't care...I find "steps" rather arbitrary...

I only walk somewhere between 5K and 8-ishK a day according to my phone (auto-installed app), but obviously I walk more than that (see below). I like to look for curiosity's sake but I keep walking for pleasure. I LOVE to walk...but ONLY for pleasure. I don't push myself, I don't feel the burn, I don't challenge that first of four numbers to go up a number or for the four numbers to turn into five. I walk, look around, smile, note the changing seasons (they're subtle here...but still), think, dream. It's not "a workout" for me. It's relatively fast-paced but it is for joy, pure and simple.

For my workouts, I do DVDs. I do those at least five days per week but up to seven.

I find step "counting" to probably be inaccurate for me as I don't take my phone everywhere I "step." Nowhere near. And I certainly don't hold it while I'm working out. :D I have to guess that...literal steps every day? Surely up over 10,000 but since a) walking never got me buff, which is what I like about working out (for me) and b) walking never made me lose weight, I just really don't use walking, specifically, as a tool in these ways.

Now, my husband, on the other hand...10K is his "bad day" and he goes up from there. He is the Walking King.
  • jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I track steps with my Apple Watch. And I do horribly. Most days I don't get over 3000 steps. I sit at a desk all day, and I'm on the couch or at a desk at night. I've got to get more steps in somehow.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I find step "counting" to probably be inaccurate for me as I don't take my phone everywhere I "step." Nowhere near. And I certainly don't hold it while I'm working out. :D I have to guess that...literal steps every day? Surely up over 10,000 but since a) walking never got me buff, which is what I like about working out (for me) and b) walking never made me lose weight, I just really don't use walking, specifically, as a tool in these ways.

Now, my husband, on the other hand...10K is his "bad day" and he goes up from there. He is the Walking King.

Yeah, my phone was pretty inaccurate for me. Google Fit said I took about 10K steps per day, so it caught about half of them compared to a worn-all-day fitness tracker.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    15-20k using a fitbit blaze :smiley:
  • jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get up every hour and take a 500 step "walk" around the office, this alone will make about 4,000 steps for an 8 hour work day.

I do this sometimes, but definitely not every hour. Sometimes I get so involved in a task that I sit uninterrupted for 2-3 hours. Maybe I can set an hourly reminder on my phone or watch to remind me to get up and walk around the office.

Your other suggestions are good ideas too! Thanks!

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    jattardi wrote: »
    Get up every hour and take a 500 step "walk" around the office, this alone will make about 4,000 steps for an 8 hour work day.

I do this sometimes, but definitely not every hour. Sometimes I get so involved in a task that I sit uninterrupted for 2-3 hours. Maybe I can set an hourly reminder on my phone or watch to remind me to get up and walk around the office.

Your other suggestions are good ideas too! Thanks!

You're welcome! I can relate to getting wrapped up in a task and losing time! Sometimes I look at the clock and realize time slipped away from me. Sounds like you have a good plan setting a timer.
  • D4LB
    D4LB Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Fitbit blaze 15k avg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to be in a fitbit challenge with you @glassyo :lol:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options

LOL. But now I'm doubting it's really 70,000! Altho when I did the 100 step test it was very close, if not, spot on.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    On a work day usually 8-12k (9827 at the moment, so right in the middle). Days off...not so much. And I have a Fitbit Charge.
  • javba2
    javba2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't know folks, on a good day 5000, Too much work, not enough fun, and of course - No life :smile: Fitbit something 2.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    Not that many. I prefer to ride a bike.

Me too. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

LOL. But now I'm doubting it's really 70,000! Altho when I did the 100 step test it was very close, if not, spot on.

I guess an easy way to test it would be if you ate all the exercise calories back and your weight loss stayed on track. What does fitbit say your TDEE is?
  • reputationtacos
    reputationtacos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Average - about 20 - 25K. I use a fitbit charge HR.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    During the work week, around 30+K or so, but I run and walk a lot (about 3.5 hours per day). During the weekend, it's a completely different story where I sit on my *kitten* a whole lot, and I'll be lucky to break 3K.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've committed to 20,000 steps every day and always hit 20,000 to 21,000. For me, that's about 8+ miles. I'm short and old. I tried to do 25,000 per day but that was just too much every single day. Whew!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Where do you have your Fitbit? I didn't see if you mentioned what type it is. The wrist ones can add steps from moving your hands. The clip-on ones can add steps if it's in a pocket.