Eating low...weight stalled? Help? Should I eat more for a day?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »

It's not a problem that needs fixed... it is the way a normal body functions.

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say :smile:
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    At weight watchers there were a lot of people who plateaued and as soon as they added good fat to their diet (olive oil, TBSP peanut butter, etc) they were able to lose. There is a balance for your body to work properly and if you go too low-fat you pay the consequences. Also helps constipation. The other thing is you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories and more if you are exercising a lot. If you lose weight too fast your metabolism will slow down because your body wants to keep those calories. If you do it 1 or 2 lbs a week your body can accept the change. Good luck.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It may also be from your TOM cycle - water retention around that time is fairly common.
    OP, water retention sucks but it does happen - I gain at least 4-5 pounds a week over the weekend purely from water retention due to increased exercise, it's usually gone in a few days time.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    No scale? No problem, just eat a little less than you are now.

Um so eat less than 1200 calories per day? Are you nuts? One day even was 1000 calories because of abdominal pain from not using the bathroom... So tell someone who has a history of eating disorders (IE me) to go eat less than healthy. Good job!!! I have done this MANY times as I stated. I know how to measure and log my food.

In all fairness, how would she know this from your OP?

You have a new workout routine = water retention

You have digestive issues = increased weight until your next BM

You have been losing fast and you know that you are pushing it too hard. You know that you are taking risks of falling into your old habits. Have some patience and slow it down. Be kinder to your self and your body.

I feel she would know because I said in my original post I do not need help measuring my food. I specified it for a reason because I was hoping since it's a help forum they'd answer the questions I needed help with not just start saying things I said will not apply... especially since I have ED issues. I dont need to go below where I am now. I don't feel I am falling into old habits at all because I have fasted for 10 days at a time and eaten way below where I am now. I am trying to be healthier than I was. But if I go to eating 800 calories or something less I will be in old habits. I didnt know workouts add to water retention that badly :/ I figured it would stop after a day or two. Youre the second to suggest it. Thank you. I stopped exercising for today. I am going to go back to it and maybe alternate and take a day off every few days to see if it helps the retention and the stomach pains.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    3474449k wrote: »
    At weight watchers there were a lot of people who plateaued and as soon as they added good fat to their diet (olive oil, TBSP peanut butter, etc) they were able to lose. There is a balance for your body to work properly and if you go too low-fat you pay the consequences. Also helps constipation. The other thing is you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories and more if you are exercising a lot. If you lose weight too fast your metabolism will slow down because your body wants to keep those calories. If you do it 1 or 2 lbs a week your body can accept the change. Good luck.

I guess. Good idea. I ate more today...closer to maintenance just to see if it helps set something off idk lol silly maybe but who knows. Ill work out tomorrow but maybe eat back part of the calories this time. Thank you.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »
    It may also be from your TOM cycle - water retention around that time is fairly common.
    OP, water retention sucks but it does happen - I gain at least 4-5 pounds a week over the weekend purely from water retention due to increased exercise, it's usually gone in a few days time.

I don't get TOM anymore (depo shot). But thank you for telling me that about the water retention. Hard to know if you lose weight if you retain water when you exercise though? Lol. Is it better to weight every 3 weeks or something, rather than every week if you exercise regularly?
  • DaisukeYuki
    DaisukeYuki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Or just forget the scales for a while and take body measurements - that works for me. Even if exercise might seem to hinder weight loss (and in a way it does), it;s beneficial and will help you in the long run. Feeling better, retaining muscle mass etc etc. It'll also "buffer" your calories if you're not weighing your food.

Just my opinion. I lost over 70 ibs in a year and regret not exercising. What I learned is that I spent too much time focusing on something like a number on a scale and not what benefited my body.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Or just forget the scales for a while and take body measurements - that works for me. Even if exercise might seem to hinder weight loss (and in a way it does), it;s beneficial and will help you in the long run. Feeling better, retaining muscle mass etc etc. It'll also "buffer" your calories if you're not weighing your food.

Just my opinion. I lost over 70 ibs in a year and regret not exercising. What I learned is that I spent too much time focusing on something like a number on a scale and not what benefited my body.

My clothes feel smaller but I dont have a measuring tape anymore/right now. Thank you for the tips.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No scale? No problem, just eat a little less than you are now.

Um so eat less than 1200 calories per day? Are you nuts? One day even was 1000 calories because of abdominal pain from not using the bathroom... So tell someone who has a history of eating disorders (IE me) to go eat less than healthy. Good job!!! I have done this MANY times as I stated. I know how to measure and log my food.

One question about this...in your OP, you said you eat 1200 calories, and no more than 1600. Are you netting 1200 calories? Because if you're only eating 1200 calories gross and not eating back at least some of your exercise calories (given that you're losing 3 lbs/wk at your current size, I suspect I know the answer already), then it's basically the same as eating less than 1200 calories. At 210 lbs, losing 3 lbs/wk is too aggressive.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Just trying to help you. If you are not losing at 1200 calories and are not weighing your food then you are eating more hen you think.

Exactly this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @Verity1111, I think you need a little patience because weight loss is not linear, and weight naturally fluctuates.

If you are not losing weight over time, your calorie estimations are off enough for you to maintain weight rather than lose. I suggest weighing all your food, logging everything you consume, and making sure you have correct entries.

With your stats, if you were truly eating 1200-1500 calories and exercising, you would be losing weight. :)