Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    So much used to bug me, but I have come to accept that we are all different and all have annoyances!! If someone is taking a long rest at a machine I will ask if I can get a set in while they are resting....9 times out of 10 ....I get sure go ahead! I love seeing new people in class, I love watching them improve!! I suppose the one thing that bothers me and will never accept are people talking loud in a class and I can't hear the instructor! I just find that rude!!! I don't really care if you talk while we are working cause I am concentrating on what I am doing, just let me hear the instructor!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Dudes that sit on the locker room benches bare assed, leaving fecal matter on said bench instead of sitting on a towel from the stack 3 feet away.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Probably the loud groaning, dropping weights (neither of which happen too often at my gym) and oh also whoever uses the stationary bike that I use likes to leave bits of trash all around it- empty bottle of energy drink, used paper towels that they wiped down the machine stuffed in the drink holder, etc. Other than that- everyone is pretty much in their own world and leaves me to my own workout.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    People not wiping down equipment after use, which at my gym is usually older, sweaty men. It's basically skin-to-skin contact with creepers at the gym...ew.

People using the squat rack for something that can be done without a squat rack.

ETA: there's a lady at my gym that attaches bans to a squat rack...and does sprints with bands. Why? Just why?
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say it annoys me so much as it baffles me how a lady dressed to the nines for the gym with make up and perfect hair do , walking on a treadmill as slow as the day is long , surfing the phone or watching a show on the tv screen in front of her ... chompin on a piece of gum no less .. i dont really care but i always wonder why bother . i try to look at another angle that they just do not want to sweat or are just looking to chill ..
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work out at home but take yoga classes and I would have to say my annoyance is that person who put their yoga mat an inch from mine when there are other spots. I get to class early to get a spot I like and don't feel like moving because someone else is practically on top of me. No biggie in the scheme of things obviously, but since you asked. :)
  • NJCJF
    Options
    Here is my annoyance, no biggie in the big scheme of things but since you asked.... I work out at home but take yoga classes at a really nice studio. I get there early to get a good spot and and my pet peeve is when someone puts there mat an inch away from mine when there is plenty of room. I also think its really rude when people are on there cell phones during class.
  • NJCJF
    Options
    when someone is on their cell during yoga
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only things that annoy me at the gym are things that directly interfere with my workout. Everything else is mostly just amusing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    People not wiping down equipment after use, which at my gym is usually older, sweaty men. It's basically skin-to-skin contact with creepers at the gym...ew.

People using the squat rack for something that can be done without a squat rack.

ETA: there's a lady at my gym that attaches bans to a squat rack...and does sprints with bands. Why? Just why?

It's a development movement for sprinters. Ideally she would attach the band to some other immovable object so people could squat, but if no pole or some thing else she could use would be pretty easy for others to work in IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy4L0Ek1oxo
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yet another thread reminding me why I'm glad to own a home gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Dudes that sit on the locker room benches bare assed, leaving fecal matter on said bench instead of sitting on a towel from the stack 3 feet away.

They... they don't wipe?

And they spread their cheeks?!? :#
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    People just relaxing on a piece of equipment they KNOW you're standing there ready to use.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There isn't too much that annoys me at the gym because I'm usually there to just do my own thing and then leave. But there are some things it would be nice if people didn't do.

My biggest thing is when people drop really, really heavy weights out of no where. I don't mind so much that they're being dropped but more so the noise/ground shaking it makes kind of gives me a scare. And I'm a runner, so I'm almost always on the treadmill. I'm used to running on a treadmill but one misstep on it could cause issues, and I'd prefer to keep my concentration that's all. So it would be nice if those lifting heavy weights could not just completely drop them when they're done their set.

Another big one for me is people taking pictures. The gym I go to has signs saying no photos, but people still stand in front of the mirrors and weights taking selfies. I know people want to track their progress - and that's kool - just maybe not at the gym. And it would be equally nice if the people working at the gym said something to them to stop taking photos.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Why is chewing gum on a treadmill a problem? Or banging weights and grunting? I don't get some of these issues.

Agreed, and the running too hard on the treadmill. WTF is up with that?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    People that don't use the locker room and carry bags and coats around. Oh and people that talk in the phone

Oops, I carry my bag around (although I do hang up my coat). I bring my own equipment to the gym (typically a squat sponge to put on a bar for hip thrusts and an ab roller) because I'm never sure I'm going to be able to find these things. I've even thought about getting/bringing my own clamp collars.
This discussion has been closed.