Annoyances at the gym!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    everything!, I hate the gym, I would rather do it all on my own and FREE, with better results!
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness where there are signs all over the place about spraying the equipment after you use it. The other day I saw an older man just dripping with sweat. He was mopping his face and chest with a towel. Then he proceeded to wipe down a machine with that towel before he sat down. He did about 5 reps then moved to the next machine and repeated. He only did a couple reps on each of 5 machines and each one he wiped his face then wiped down the seat before he sat. Not a single one got wiped after--not that his towel would have cleaned anything. I was so grossed out, and that was the first time it occurred to me that maybe I ought to be sanitizing the machines before I got on them.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

From what I've read that is one of.the most judgement places around.

If you like it though, great, carry on.

Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. Nice and quiet-- no grunting or throwing to distract
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

It certainly is judgmental, but in a way that tends to comfort those that are intimidated by (their perception of) standard gym practices/mentality.

I'm actually surprised that more of these "don't drop the weights" posters aren't members of said establishment (since such a viewpoint seems rather...sensitive).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I haven't read this through this thread so I don't know if this topic has been addressed but I'm grateful to have a chance to vent a little. Body odour is my number one annoyance at the gym in recent months. I have been going to gyms on and off for years and it's never ever been an issue, but at the gym I go to now there seems to be a plethora of older men who aren't washing their gym clothes, aren't showering, or both. Occasionally they'll be wearing cologne, which doesn't help. I encounter these smelly-poohs during a third or more of my visits and the smell interferes with my ability to get a strong workout in. Grrr.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    spiveaa wrote: »
    WOW to many to name

5. Gym that has the a/c on 50 F-ing degrees

So mine :/ it's currently 40 degrees in Georgia, and the airs still on. I know people are gonna sweat and get hot but dang it, I'm cold natured lol!

When you walk into the locker room and all the damn fans are on full blast.

On the grunting. I realise this is judgy but I make no apologies. It was just too funny for words. Yesterday I hear this massive grunting behind me. I mean serious Olympic power-lifting standard grunting and I turn around with hopeful admiration expecting to see "the Mountain" lifting a large pony instead it's a guy squatting 15kg (33lbs). My wife squats 80kg (which is heavy for her) and doesn't grunt. WTF man?

• DebSozo
    edited December 2016

It certainly is judgmental, but in a way that tends to comfort those that are intimidated by (their perception of) standard gym practices/mentality.

I'm actually surprised that more of these "don't drop the weights" posters aren't members of said establishment (since such a viewpoint seems rather...sensitive).

"Annoyances at the gym". Maybe a padded sound proof weight room for all the really loud, vocal types? Lol. JK :D It comes across as, "Look at me" although I'm sure that isn't the intent at all.

ETA: I used to go to a center that had really loud types competing with each other. You could hear the bellowing, grunting, and puffing across the entire room.
  • goldthistime
    I went back and read through the other posts and I have to wonder how we are all defining "annoyances". For the most part, my level of annoyance is defined by whether my own workout is affected. What other people are wearing (eg track shorts) doesn't make the list for me. Noises, (loud talking, banging weights, grunting), at worst, cause a momentary distraction from whatever I'm doing. Waiting for equipment is annoying, even if everyone has perfect etiquette.
  • DebSozo
    I went back and read through the other posts and I have to wonder how we are all defining "annoyances". For the most part, my level of annoyance is defined by whether my own workout is affected. What other people are wearing (eg track shorts) doesn't make the list for me. Noises, (loud talking, banging weights, grunting), at worst, cause a momentary distraction from whatever I'm doing. Waiting for equipment is annoying, even if everyone has perfect etiquette.

Must it sound like giving birth or passing an elephant turd though, really?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member

How do they enforce that?
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016

I mean there are sounds-- just not amplified so high as to disturb everyone.

Lunk alarms.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.

Well there is a difference between dropping a deadlift and setting it down heavy. If it slips that's one thing but people who just drop it are getting three reds and should learn to complete their lifts. I think a lot of people just drop them to get attention, frankly.

I would agree, Unless you're doing Oly lifts, failing on a heavy deadlift, etc no need to drop the weights. I've had the opportunity to work out at 2 of the gyms that make most lists of the 10 most hardcore in the US and nobody was dropping weights to hear them drop.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    people
  • daniellee_xo
    daniellee_xo Posts: 268 Member
    People who drop weights and the guys who just stand around the machines & weight rack just talking and checking out their gains...It's extremely frustrating when you are pressed for time during your workout...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    My gym added a very nice "functional training" area that includes a 30 yard or so long strip of field turf and a Prowler sled to push on the turf.

Several of the trainers have decided the turf is a good place to have trainees doing floor exercises, even though there is a large area with rubber flooring adjacent to the turf that is generally not full.
  • goldthistime

Twice at the gym yesterday someone dropped weights loudly enough that it startled me. I'd put it low on my list of annoyances, but I did think of it a couple times later that day, so it obviously registered. I would joyously trade you noisemakers for smellybellies however.

• DebSozo
    edited December 2016

I mean there are sounds-- just not amplified so high as to disturb everyone.

Lunk alarms.

this always cracks me up, we are a no judgement place except for the people we judge

ftr...i go there also i just dont pay attention to people. there are a few i will make small talk either before or after my workout otherwise no one knows me there and i like it that way

I know. So true. It is like "reverse judging".
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

Twice at the gym yesterday someone dropped weights loudly enough that it startled me. I'd put it low on my list of annoyances, but I did think of it a couple times later that day, so it obviously registered. I would joyously trade you noisemakers for smellybellies however.

Oh me too! I actually had to switch treadmills the other day because the stench from the guy next to me was so bad.
This discussion has been closed.