• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Guys, this thread is about annoyances at the gym. Why is planet fitness even in the discussion? They aren't a gym.

Right. We go to a pretend gym. It's really just a "club".

I think the term you're looking for is "health club franchise"

8-things-we-learned-about-planet-fitness-from-its-ipo-filing-buzzfeed-news-1435093289535.png

And what is your definition of a "gym"?

Actually, that makes me wonder if many health clubs these days would be considered a true gym. The way I see the traditional use of "gym" would be a large multi-use room like a school has. A weight room probably doesn't qualify.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.

Most commercial gyms I've been too don't allow chalk either.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't get it either. There must be history on the threads we don't know about. If I say "I'm going to the gym," then it just means working out to me. I never thought much about it. I've never said, "I'm going to the health club to work out."
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is why I had the question about how they enforced their policies -- i.e., how would a gym owner discourage a paying customer from behaving a certain way? I would assume that the gym owner does not wish to have confrontations and lose customers. Having an alarm takes away the face-to-face confrontation and takes away the possible subjectivity of when the rule has been broken. The fact that they have an alarm, and that it is called a 'lunk alarm' seems like it is a more passive type of enforcement via public shaming. I don't think that is a great way to do it, but I wouldn't shame people who have chosen to use PF facilities either.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    This is why I had the question about how they enforced their policies -- i.e., how would a gym owner discourage a paying customer from behaving a certain way? I would assume that the gym owner does not wish to have confrontations and lose customers. Having an alarm takes away the face-to-face confrontation and takes away the possible subjectivity of when the rule has been broken. The fact that they have an alarm, and that it is called a 'lunk alarm' seems like it is a more passive type of enforcement via public shaming. I don't think that is a great way to do it, but I wouldn't shame people who have chosen to use PF facilities either.

Put like that, I can see your point.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Guys, this thread is about annoyances at the gym. Why is planet fitness even in the discussion? They aren't a gym.

Right. We go to a pretend gym. It's really just a "club".

I think the term you're looking for is "health club franchise"

8-things-we-learned-about-planet-fitness-from-its-ipo-filing-buzzfeed-news-1435093289535.png

And what is your definition of a "gym"?

i didn't make that up. they even have a commercial saying "we're not a gym, we're planet fitness". that's THEIR saying.

just saying.

Okay. Back to gyms. Nice to know I go to a "health club".

I think it's for the best. According to the Gymmers on this thread, gyms and the people who use them are so terribly annoying for a variety of misanthropic reasons. :wink:

Glad I don't go to one. Lol. Jk. o:)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

And that's not enough to hate it?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    My "gym" is technically a "health club". Always refer to it as a gym, as does anybody I've ever spoken with about the subject.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I'm not into it either.

I am into making fun of their dumb policy of shaming fit people. You don't need to do that to make other people feel comfortable. It pits people against each other, and I think that's wrong. I also think it discourages people from progressing to the point where they'd achieve real progress with lifting.

You can still progress. You just can't throw weights down hard or bellow.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed at the gym when I forget my hairtie, or my headphones, or my headphones die. :/

I forgot my headphones once at my old gym. They really played the worst music. It felt like the longest workout ever.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Most commercial gyms I've been too don't allow chalk either.

</3 I don't understand this. It makes such a huge difference in lifting. Do they just don't want to wipe off the bars and plates with a dry towel?
    I once tried the same weight deadlift without and with chalk on the same day. I managed 1 rep without chalk, 4 with. It's ridiculous how much it helps.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I was thinking the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.