Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

One of the most debated topics: Starvation Mode

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    There is debate though. I personally don't have an opinion but I see a lot of people who think it's a real thing.

I know people who believe in chemtrails, and there are people who believe the moon landing never happened. It's pretty hard to debate derp.

There was just a long thread about homeopathic medicine in another subforum, which is some of the derpiest derp that ever did derp. But you can't debate with a True Believer because their mind is already made up and they'll just ignore the volumes of established science which say otherwise.

But there's evidence !!

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/what-are-chemtrails.html
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    From what I have read and interpret it does exist but your body fat has to drop below like 5 percent for it to kick in. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/81391 read about it yourself. There was a study done by the US army after WW2. look it up and come to your own conclusions. I think most ppl can agree It wont occur in two or three weeks it takes a extreme calorie restriction and a long time period. like less than 600 a day.
    For instance my daughter had bariatic surgery and she could only eat 300-600 calories per day for several months but her BF ratio was probably close to 40 percent so the "starvation mode" wont kick until her BF ratio dropped to a certain point. Like others have said "Starvation mode" is not the correct term. So if you have over 20 percent body fat I would not worry. Start getting below 10 then you might want to think about it. Again to your own research from reputable resources. There is plenty of Bro Science.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    There is debate though. I personally don't have an opinion but I see a lot of people who think it's a real thing.

I know people who believe in chemtrails, and there are people who believe the moon landing never happened. It's pretty hard to debate derp.

There was just a long thread about homeopathic medicine in another subforum, which is some of the derpiest derp that ever did derp. But you can't debate with a True Believer because their mind is already made up and they'll just ignore the volumes of established science which say otherwise.

Users who liked this post also liked:

1) Pizza
    2) Squats
    3) All sort of other awesome stuff

And taking Lipitor pills to lower their cholesterol.

I don't understand this correlation. Please explain.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha! Chemtrails in the mind. The uninformed.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I am of the mind that if one wants to believe in certain things and are unable to listen and learn from people who can interpret the science and only wants to disagree then there's not much one can do.

Stay in a circle of belief or drop the defenses and learn. Everyone has a choice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, if you want to know more about adaptive thermogenesis, here is a good thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    If someone wants to believe that the calories in broken oreos don't count because the calories leak out...

Huh. I didn't know that.