Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Hi -- I struggle with intrusive anxious thoughts about my husband getting angry with me or him asking me to leave. One thing that has helped me a lot is going through a series of questions my therapist suggested, they're designed for helping anxiety based on jumping to conclusions. You may be familiar with them already, but I'm typing them below in case you haven't seen them. Please feel free to ignore if you aren't looking for tips. They've just been useful for me. Wishing you well.

1. How do I know for certain that ___ will happen?
    2. Am I 100% sure that these awful consequences will occur?
    3. What evidence do I have for this fear or belief?
    4. What has happened in this past with this situation?
    5. Am I psychic? How can I be so sure about the answer?
    6. Could there be any other explanation?
    7. How much does it feel like ___ will happen? What is the true chance that ___ will happen?
    8. Is my negative prediction being driven by the intense emotions that I am experiencing?

I was going to suggest something similar. I haven't seen a comprehensive list like this before, but I love it, and I'm going to save it for myself.

OP, the way you talk about your SOs sounds like depression speaking through you. (Specifically, this "I feel like if I don't get my act together and stop melting down all the time, I could be asked to leave, even though both have assured me that is not happening and won't ever happen" and this "Home is being supportive but I hate making them feel like they have to walk on eggshells around me."). The thing about depression is that it's different for everyone, but it tends to speak in very consistent language. I don't know you, but I've heard those same kinds of thoughts from a lot of friends. They were overwhelmingly not true.

If you can, talk to your SOs about what you're thinking. It's okay to tell them that you're feeling alone and vulnerable, and ask for more reassurance than you might need at other times. Let them know if you need to hear it verbally, or if you'd prefer physical reassurance like hugs.

Are you familiar with Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess? If not, Google her. She's amazing, and she speaks very openly about anxiety and depression. She says "Depression Lies," which is absolutely true and somehow helps me remember it.

No, I'm not familiar with her but will look her up.

I can talk to my SOs and have been trying but it's hard for me to vocalize issues.

This might be easier than talking (or it might be harder), but you could consider showing them this thread. They care enough about you to want to be in a relationship with you, so there's a good chance they'll understand, or at least they'll try to understand.

Not sure I would want to show them the thread, but maybe if I write it down on and give it them it will be easier.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ((((Elphie))))

All the good advice has been given. I will just heartily second the recommendation for a doula. My second pregnancy was very stressful, and she was an amazing support person.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @elphie754 is this the first baby in your home?
    I ask because your partners may be a little worried about how things will change once the baby arrives, quite normal.
    As you have a bit of trouble communicating at times, have you thought of all of you talking to a councillor?
    This may help you all feel more confident and at ease with the changes that are naturally happening in your relationships.

Cheers, h.
  • elphie754
    Options
    @elphie754 is this the first baby in your home?
    I ask because your partners may be a little worried about how things will change once the baby arrives, quite normal.
    As you have a bit of trouble communicating at times, have you thought of all of you talking to a councillor?
    This may help you all feel more confident and at ease with the changes that are naturally happening in your relationships.

Cheers, h.

Yes this is the first baby. I do already see someone.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You already said it once yourself, but there is light at the end of this tunnel. You're more than half-way there, and any pregnant woman has more than enough license to cry/get angry/laugh uncontrollably/be cranky a time or two. I'm sorry about your illness - have the doctors figured out why you aren't able to hold down food? Is it due to hormones or are you sick? Sending hugs and calm wishes as you're going through all that.

Just thought I'd share that my sister has been diagnosed as bipolar, so while I don't have experience with the rollercoaster you could potentially be dealing with there, I did get to watch my sister battle the disorder along with all the hormonal craziness that happens during pregnancy. She managed, but it seemed much tougher on her that my pregnancies were on me. Seriously, sending hugs. You've got a lot going on.
  • elphie754
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    You already said it once yourself, but there is light at the end of this tunnel. You're more than half-way there, and any pregnant woman has more than enough license to cry/get angry/laugh uncontrollably/be cranky a time or two. I'm sorry about your illness - have the doctors figured out why you aren't able to hold down food? Is it due to hormones or are you sick? Sending hugs and calm wishes as you're going through all that.

Just thought I'd share that my sister has been diagnosed as bipolar, so while I don't have experience with the rollercoaster you could potentially be dealing with there, I did get to watch my sister battle the disorder along with all the hormonal craziness that happens during pregnancy. She managed, but it seemed much tougher on her that my pregnancies were on me. Seriously, sending hugs. You've got a lot going on.

My OB thinks it's a combination of hormones and stomach not having much room. Normally she would prescribe something for the nausea and vomiting, but last time she did, I ended up having an allergic reaction to the medication.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hooray. <3 h
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I struggle with intrusive anxious thoughts about my husband getting angry with me or him asking me to leave. One thing that has helped me a lot is going through a series of questions my therapist suggested, they're designed for helping anxiety based on jumping to conclusions. You may be familiar with them already, but I'm typing them below in case you haven't seen them. Please feel free to ignore if you aren't looking for tips. They've just been useful for me. Wishing you well.

1. How do I know for certain that ___ will happen?
    2. Am I 100% sure that these awful consequences will occur?
    3. What evidence do I have for this fear or belief?
    4. What has happened in this past with this situation?
    5. Am I psychic? How can I be so sure about the answer?
    6. Could there be any other explanation?
    7. How much does it feel like ___ will happen? What is the true chance that ___ will happen?
    8. Is my negative prediction being driven by the intense emotions that I am experiencing?

I like that process very much
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So, what you are describing is yourself in almost a psychotic state. That is a really tough one to get out of without drugs as I am sure you are aware.

I would tell you to do biofeedback, meditation/breathing exercises many times a day right now. If you have a smartphone, you can download apps. Invest in some cheap headphones so you can focus on the breathing. It does help.

You have to bring yourself out of the "flight or fight" response you are in, as well as bring down those cortisol levels so you can sleep and eat.

Seeing a counselor would be ideal. I would encourage you to do so. On top of being unmedicated you are also dealing with pregnancy hormones.

It appears to me that you are having feelings of abandonment during this pregnancy. You mention being adopted and also you fear that your SO's will "kick you out". That is something that is VERY tough to handle emotionally for anyone.

I am glad your family and OB are supportive. HUGS

• elphie754
    Options
    So, what you are describing is yourself in almost a psychotic state. That is a really tough one to get out of without drugs as I am sure you are aware.

I would tell you to do biofeedback, meditation/breathing exercises many times a day right now. If you have a smartphone, you can download apps. Invest in some cheap headphones so you can focus on the breathing. It does help.

You have to bring yourself out of the "flight or fight" response you are in, as well as bring down those cortisol levels so you can sleep and eat.

Seeing a counselor would be ideal. I would encourage you to do so. On top of being unmedicated you are also dealing with pregnancy hormones.

It appears to me that you are having feelings of abandonment during this pregnancy. You mention being adopted and also you fear that your SO's will "kick you out". That is something that is VERY tough to handle emotionally for anyone.

No, this is no where near a psychotic state. I've been in full blown psychotic states (many many years ago) as well as full blown manis states, and it is very different.

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you have my sympathy! I've had 2 babies and pregnancy sucked *kitten* both times.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    An update with some good news :smile: -

We had our monthly family meeting tonight (which usually is about everyone's work schedule for the month, budget, who's grocery shopping, etc). I was able to bring up some of my concerns. They had no idea I felt so overwhelmed and said I should speak up more before it gets to the point I'm so upset. Felt kind of good. They also reassured me that being cast away lol and we worked some extra TLC in for me into the monthly schedule.

Thank you everyone for all the support.

Communication is always the key :)

I'm glad you're in a better place in your relationship and that they both understand your concerns and emotional state.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

We had our monthly family meeting tonight (which usually is about everyone's work schedule for the month, budget, who's grocery shopping, etc). I was able to bring up some of my concerns. They had no idea I felt so overwhelmed and said I should speak up more before it gets to the point I'm so upset. Felt kind of good. They also reassured me that being cast away lol and we worked some extra TLC in for me into the monthly schedule.

Glad to hear, I have someone close to me that also suffers from BP, stable now too for years with med. You were probably going thru hormones & BP symptoms. You will be ok. Good you have a place to vent, I do believe it helps. Keep the family meetings up! Hugs and good wishes
  • elphie754
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Communication is always the key :)

I'm glad you're in a better place in your relationship and that they both understand your concerns and emotional state.

So am I.
    Ming1951 wrote: »

Glad to hear, I have someone close to me that also suffers from BP, stable now too for years with med. You were probably going thru hormones & BP symptoms. You will be ok. Good you have a place to vent, I do believe it helps. Keep the family meetings up! Hugs and good wishes

I think it is a combination as well. Thankfully the BP symptoms haven't been too severe and hoping it stays that way.

Family meetings are must for us. We all have different schedules, one of which rotates (very annoying haha) on top of overtime, classes, meetings, doctors appointments etc. Thank god for white boards, we have huge calendar one in the kitchen. Makes life so much more simple.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

No, this is no where near a psychotic state. I've been in full blown psychotic states (many many years ago) as well as full blown manis states, and it is very different.

Oh good. It is hard to tell from posts you know.
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh good. It is hard to tell from posts you know.

I know. If I was anywhere close to a manic or psychotic episode, both significant others would step in and intervene.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Oh, that's wonderful to hear. I'm so happy to that you're surrounded by supportive loved ones and that open communication is working to make things easier for you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Nice update, elphie.

Gentle hugggggs. <3
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh, that's wonderful to hear. I'm so happy to that you're surrounded by supportive loved ones and that open communication is working to make things easier for you.
    Nice update, elphie.

Gentle hugggggs. <3

Thank you both.