Eating Bacon...good or bad on a diet

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    did you really expect people to say bacon is good diet food :D ? lol. Eat it just log it :p

Why is it bad diet food? I don't eat diet food, I just eat food. The tastiest options I can fit into my calorie goal.

I've never understood why bacon gets such a bad rap, two slices of regular bacon are under 100 cals. That's pretty easy to fit into my breakfast on a regular basis. It's the eating bacon in excess, just like any other food, that becomes the issue...

Yesterday I took leftover bacon and added it to a Lean Cuisine Grilled Chicken Caesar entree, along with some frozen veggies, and it was amazing! Better than the pasta dish I regularly get at a local restaurant. Very filling and it came in under 400 calories!

?? I don't understand. What is this "leftover bacon" of which you speak?

I think we witnessed the birth of a new myth that will forever be thrown around on MFP.

Ha, yes we actually do have leftover bacon when I make up a package :) There's 5 of us and two of my kids don't like it (weirdos!). I usually throw in the leftovers with whatever I'm eating for lunch the next day.

You're baconing wrong. You're supposed to cook all the bacon, eat all the bacon, and buy more bacon. Rinse, repeat. :D

It is so good in other dishes though!

I'm makin' bacon - current lot curing is Maple Espresso bacon. Nommy nommy.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Serious question for the bacon eaters...

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

Actually, if you look at the studies and not articles, your risk goes up by a pretty infinitesimal amount...overall risk is multiplied by 1.2% or something like that...

That said, I only eat bacon probably a couple of times in a given month...usually a random Saturday or Sunday...I've never quite understood the obsession myself. I'd actually much prefer some good breakfast sausage...but nobody in my family seems to like that unless we're camping for some reason.

I get the bacon love (though breakfast sausage is delicious, too, I agree. ) It's the bacon-flavored-everything craze that bothers me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I love the party line that others have written but the truth is that it is very difficult to know precisely how much fat is in bacon. Personally I love it and eat bacon often but I now go for leaner bacon and I cut off obvious fat. Eating fat is fine if you can count it but it can be difficult. Fried eggs are great too but I love poached so why have fried

It's on the package. Not hard to figure out at all.

Except that most of us drain off at least some of the fat that cooks out of the bacon. Which actually makes bacon a great diet food because it's one of the few foods that I know I am underestimating the calories of (unless I then use the fat to cook greens). And I haven't yet found a way to add negative calories for the bacon fat not eaten.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Calories in pan-fried bacon exclude the fat that is rendered in the cooking process.

In the below side-by-side comparison of the USDA entries for raw bacon and pan-fried cooked bacon, note the protein per slice of raw versus cooked pan-fried is nearly the same (the difference results from the lab taking the average of a number of tests), whereas the Calories and fat grams are much lower. This indicates that the USDA labs are taking a 28g slice of raw bacon with 117 Calories, cooking it, draining the fat, and the result, on average, is an 11.5g slice of pan-fried cooked bacon with 54 Calories.

I noticed this two years ago, and I now drain away and save the rendered bacon fat. When I use it for cooking, I log the rendered fat in MFP as "Pork - Bacon, rendered fat, cooked (bacon drippings)."

btfjgyby2f0g.jpg

The bacon I use lists 200 calories per 50 grams (2 slices), so that's what I log. That matches your data for raw uncooked bacon (and I do weigh the slices not just count them). Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, so maybe they have to report the nutritional information that way? I noticed one package that listed two sets of values - one for raw weight and one for cooked. But I still use the raw weight data because I'd never be able to be sure that I drained off the same amount of fat as they did.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    <<snip>>

The bacon I use lists 200 calories per 50 grams (2 slices), so that's what I log. That matches your data for raw uncooked bacon (and I do weigh the slices not just count them). Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, so maybe they have to report the nutritional information that way? I noticed one package that listed two sets of values - one for raw weight and one for cooked. But I still use the raw weight data because I'd never be able to be sure that I drained off the same amount of fat as they did.

Yet another reason to move to Canada! Canadians are much smarter.

Here is a sampling of the bacon trickery practiced in the U.S. I guess if you read carefully, some packages may say "as prepared." I don't have any packages in the house right now to check.

wxffqgs0au4e.jpg

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Now I want bacon :angry:

I'm angry because I have none in the house. Fortunately, they usually serve some in the cafeteria in the mornings!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Does the fact that's it's a #1 carcinogen worry anyone? I mean once in awhile I see it but eating often would worry me.

As a side note I don't eat meat for various reasons but when I did bacon was a staple for several years.

Actually, if you look at the studies and not articles, your risk goes up by a pretty infinitesimal amount...overall risk is multiplied by 1.2% or something like that...

That said, I only eat bacon probably a couple of times in a given month...usually a random Saturday or Sunday...I've never quite understood the obsession myself. I'd actually much prefer some good breakfast sausage...but nobody in my family seems to like that unless we're camping for some reason.

I get the bacon love (though breakfast sausage is delicious, too, I agree. ) It's the bacon-flavored-everything craze that bothers me.

Heh, I always feel grinchy in these threads because although I like bacon fine (it's good in various dishes and I might have it for breakfast once a month or so) I don't get the enormous love, as if it's the best of all possible foods. It's nice enough but IMO overrated, and I'd prefer a really good pork chop. But I know that's heresy. ;-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    CyberTone wrote: »
    <<snip>>

Yet another reason to move to Canada! Canadians are much smarter.

Here is a sampling of the bacon trickery practiced in the U.S. I guess if you read carefully, some packages may say "as prepared." I don't have any packages in the house right now to check.

wxffqgs0au4e.jpg

Do canadian's even have real bacon?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

i'll take bacon flavored everything over pumpkin spice flavored everything any day of the week
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Heh, I always feel grinchy in these threads because although I like bacon fine (it's good in various dishes and I might have it for breakfast once a month or so) I don't get the enormous love, as if it's the best of all possible foods. It's nice enough but IMO overrated, and I'd prefer a really good pork chop. But I know that's heresy. ;-)

This is how I feel about all the peanut butter threads. :laugh:
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    mij140 wrote: »
    If eating bacon is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Everything in moderation. I switched to turkey bacon. 30 calories a slice.

I did the same thing to save on calories. I really like the uncured stuff from Costco. That said, the rest of my family still eats their pork bacon. They call my turkey bacon "fake." :smiley:
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so... just stay within your calories and you should be good. then their are those of us who choose to eat clean and vegan, it is not a diet, just a way of life for me. i believe what goes into my body makes a difference, not based on a diet, but my choice of how i want to care for my body. jmo
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    mij140 wrote: »
    If eating bacon is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Everything in moderation. I switched to turkey bacon. 30 calories a slice.

I did the same thing to save on calories. I really like the uncured stuff from Costco. That said, the rest of my family still eats their pork bacon. They call my turkey bacon "fake." :smiley:

Turkey "bacon" has just about the same calories as center cut pork bacon. Not sure why people think turkey fakeon is somehow lower in calories or "healthier".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is how I feel about all the peanut butter threads. :laugh:

I almost added that of course my opinion should be further devalued since I don't care about peanut butter and dislike cold cereal, heh!
  • 19kolean
    19kolean Posts: 2 Member
    As long as you're accurately counting the calories for it, have at it. Fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

What about sugar?
  • lemurcat12
    19kolean wrote: »
    As long as you're accurately counting the calories for it, have at it. Fat does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

What about sugar?

Similarly, sugar does not make you fat, excess calories make you fat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    19kolean wrote: »

What about sugar?

Sugar doesn't make you fat. Excess calories (which can come from sugar or any other food that you eat) make you fat.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Bacon is something I gave up for years, switched to a lower cal turkey alternative. Damn was I ever stupid. To think of the pleasure I deprived myself of because of misinformation.
    Eat bacon.